• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team 2

Cheetah

Day 4 Morning

I think we were both tired of trying to call birds across private fences, so we decided to try going for the distant gobbles I heard when I shot my bird.   There was actually a decent gravel road that went into this area and allowed us to have an easy walk into where I felt the birds should be.   We got in early to try to get there ahead of any other hunters, but it didn't seem to matter.   Forest roads were abundant, so walking was easy.  We went right to the spot I had a bird gobble from a few days prior, and waited.  

It didn't take long for the flock to start making noise, and we only had to move a little ways to get close to them.   As usual the turkeys all came down and went away from us.  They set up shop on a long ridge and seemed content to just stay there.   We had no easy approach so set up our own position on the forest road we were on which was covered in tracks.   Other birds were gobbling in the distance the opposite way, and when one sounded close we chose to go for him.   Nothing came of that little walk other than the loss of a $65 custom call...  On the plus side we found a nice deer skull.  

Back to the flock, one gobbler would respond to a crow call, so we knew they were still up on the hill.  We made a painfully slow walk straight at them since they were high enough up they hopefully wouldn't see us.  When we got to the timber they stopped responding, so we guessed they went over the top.  We worked our way up and found where they had been feeding.  Just shy of the top we set up to call just in case they were over the lip of the hill.  

We received an immediate response to some lite hen yelps and clucks.  A hen with the gobbler was not at all pleased that we were there.  We got into a bit of a yelling match with her.  She was coming closer, dragging the gobbler with her.  When I heard drumming I motioned for my uncle to get the gun up since he was still calling.  In a few moments I saw a tail fan cresting the hill.  He angled left, looked around, went behind a tree.  I heard him go into strut and drum...   BANG!   

IMG_35181.jpg

IMG_35141.jpg

Just returned home last night. Had 3 Jake's come in at 7am on my 1st morning and decided to pass on them. Never saw or heard a Tom the next 5 days. Oh well maybe I learned a lesson. Good luck to all.  

I was on private land that I have shot 8 birds in 10 seasons.Over 300 acres of prime land by Caledonia but none in our group of 4 scored this year. Just makes me more excited for next year. Might try the last season but will probably be into fishing by that time. Good Luck to All.....

We just got shut out down by Caledonia also so don't feel bad and we've been turkey hunting since 1980.  We were on private land also but found the birds still flocked up.  We had flocks of 12 - 15 birds we were trying to work and it didn't work.  2 out of 3 could have shot jakes and we all had plays that just did not work out.  That's turkey hunting.

I am out in MN this morning.  Flock gobbling in the valley below me.  Going to start with my bow this time.  Have a few days to hunt. 

Oh and Sutty is with me.  Set up across the field with one of his daughters.  Trying to talk him into picking up a youth tag for her.

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

I am out in MN this morning.  Flock gobbling in the valley below me.  Going to start with my bow this time.  Have a few days to hunt. 

Oh and Sutty is with me.  Set up across the field with one of his daughters.  Trying to talk him into picking up a youth tag for her.

Can you spring him the dollar to convince him!:grin:

Hey Cheetah I decided to head down to my spot and hunt next Wed,Thur and Fri am. Hoping they're still active and I can put one down for the team. Anyone hear from Thunderbucket. Team 5 will be tough to beat.  DrJ

Good to see some luck being had!   I'm still working on getting a bird.  Had a nice big gobbler at 15 yards this past Sunday morning, but he avoided taking the last few steps to get a clear shot with the bow.  I'm hoping to get out a couple mornings next week before work to close the deal :)  Lots of birds around and they have been vocal

Wisconsin was a bust.   There were plenty of birds around, but they clearly are well educated when it comes to hunters.  Most hens were going to nests early, but nothing would respond to or come to calls of any kind.  I watched many birds that I would call to in a field turn and walk away, even jakes and gobblers with no hens.  Some birds would sprint out of sight! 

I did come very close to a nice gobbler but forgot my range finder in my blind and didn't shoot when I thought he was a bit too far.  Ranging the area later proved otherwise...  I also had another group with a nice gobbler and a few hens that I had been chasing multiple times, they started going away from my calling, so I crawled up behind some thick pine trees to get close for an ambush shot.  Of course a hen busted me at 15yd and they disappeared...  

After two solid days of rain, and this morning's rain with zero birds heard or seen I packed up and went home.  My brother called to tell me he shot a bird in the spot he told me I should go to... 

All in all I only heard two gobblers actually gobble in three hard days of hunting, neither would come to me.  Many more seen.  I only heard one hen yelp back to me, again saw many others that would not make a peep...