• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting pvc

Tom7227

I am making some bluebird houses out of PVC.  They need to be white.  I have painted some with Zinser primer but it doesn't adhere very well.  Any idea what I should do to get the paint to stick?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Prep the surface with 220 grit sand paper then use acetone to clean and use Krylon Fusion or Rust-Oleum Plastic spray.

I highlighted the acetone to clean because that is an important part

Zach D has nailed it. Keep in mind that acetone evaporates very quickly so a quick wipe just before you paint. And there are specific spray paints now labeled as appliance paint or "plastic" paint.

I am copying the Gilbertson bluebird house.  It is set up so that it looks like a piece of birch.  Paint it white and then using a cheap brush that I have cut up I put dark brown coloration on it to look like birch.  I honestly don't know if the birds care or not.  Since I painted 42 of them before I got the hint on the acetone I hope the birds don't care that much since these will probably peel in a few years.  Of course after getting the hint I remembered it and even found the acetone that I had used 10 years ago when I made a batch.

http://www.tmbstudios.com/proddetail.asp?prod="Gilbertson"+PVC+Nest+box