• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite mono

Cooter

Feel free to include specifics such as spinning vs casting and presentations, but what are you guys buying for general 4-8lb mono?  I have been a sufix and stren voter the past few years, looking for other good options.  Most of my mono fishing is on slip bobber rigs, otherwise usually chucking braid for muskies.

Bass Pro Excel (you can get their 1500 yard spools right now for $7.49) also you buy 2 you get one free and free shipping after $25 order.  I use it on all of my spinning rods now after a guide I fished with last year told me that after years of using Trilene, he switched a couple years ago and has great luck with it. 

summer time still a trilene XL fan for lindy rigging eyes, 6 pound.  also a spare with 8 pound for jiggin.  4 pound on my crappie and gill rods. all spinning.  wintertime I like the trilene micro ice. 3 pound for the pan fish. 

Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

It's technically a co-polymer line, but it's a terrific, tough, low-stretch substitute for monofilament. It's also very affordable.

The thing you want to consider with Hybrid is that its actually breaking strength is about 1.5x the listed strength. For example, the 12# breaks at about 20 pounds of pull.

The most useful line for a spinning rig would be 4-6#, with 6# being very useful.

For baitcasting setups, try the 10-12# lines. 12# is on most of my rods with moving baits.

Give this stuff a shot. It may very well become your new favorite line.