• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Predator Hunters Poll

The last few years I have really got into predator hunting as I started to learn what and how many different predators work our hunting land, to start I read as many articles and forum's I could.,Got the gear I needed and gave a it a go....first year was challenging and there were many things I learned through error and things not working. Unfortunately I dont get too many wknds to get out so each trip I do, I always try to get as much info out of it as I can. This season things started to click and I was able to have a couple successful trips, I probably even had my single best hunting day and an experience I will never forget (Triple Bobcat on opening morning). As we wind down on another season I am curious how others did as well as any additional information I can get?

So let's hear it,.....and definitely see it, get those pics of fur on the ground up

How was the season compared to others?

What predators Do you Target- in order of species

Weapon of Choice, Ammo of choice:

Calls: Electronic, Hand Calls

General location/s, Land style:

Accessories:

Better, best Times/Dates:

Questions for others:

For me it would be

Even though I had more success, I only connected on 2 trips out of 6 which I know is not bad in the world of predator huting. However I felt like the other times I didnt connect and saw nothing to boot were some really good days and was shocked nothing came in that I could see? I heard the mouse/vole population was high this year but cant say they were a credible source?

Bobcat, Yotes for our deer population, I really would like to get a few fox and cross them off bucket list

.22-250 Ruger....Hornady Vmax 55grain

Have a foxpro- stopped working after a couple trips...not too impressed with them as have seen friends go out as well

Started hand calls this year and called in my first yote that way- Nice big male in Pic below

Primarily Wadena county, heavy timber land, flat with one creek ditch through property

Mojo Critter- Usually run this with calls, would like to buy another top piece to it and modify the end for a bird looking critter next season

Morning has been best for me the last 2 seasons but the Male I got this season was my first sunset dog

Question: When i have the entire day to work our land which is roughly 700 acres, I would slowly into the wind calling our open fields which are usually 500-1000 yards apart....I have yet to have any success outside of the sunrise and sunset times. am I wasting time and also educating the dogs by calling mid day in some of the fields(tend to leave what I think are the best)

There's enough public and potlatch that i can call mid day to leave mine rest? I call my land about 5-6 times per year, some of which is a couple quick sets and a few all day hunts?

Also Night Hunting MN, have never done but know odds are much better to connect at night....any help getting started there?

Cant wait to hear back

Bobcat Triple #1.JPG

Bobcat Triple #2.jpg

Coyote 1_20170228-122122.png

Coyote 2.jpg

Edited by CaughtABuzz

16 hours ago, swamptiger said:

Nice kitties.  Do you skin them out, and make use of the pelts?

You betcha....I know a fur trader who did all 3 for $18 and he is amazing at his craft. As much as I wanted to do all 3 in a mount my guy was way too backed logged and the guy who I got recommended to wanted 1k per cat with scene when my said $750. Used a local guy for the big cat and will be getting a rug, other 2 are getting tanned which I'll probably drape along the sides of a blown up pic for the hunting lodge

Anyone else have any success this year so far?.....Think I can sneak a morning sit in tmrw, hopefully we have an udpate

Edited by CaughtABuzz

12 minutes ago, CaughtABuzz said:

You betcha....I know a fur trader who did all 3 for $18 and he is amazing at his craft. As much as I wanted to do all 3 in a mount my guy was way too backed logged and the guy who I got recommended to wanted 1k per cat with scene when my said $750. Used a local guy for the big cat and will be getting a rug, other 2 are getting tanned which I'll probably drape along the sides of a blown up pic for the hunting lodge

Great - you can enjoy them for years to come.

No trapping or predator hunting for me lately.  Waiting for fur prices to rebound.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, Ufatz said:

Unfortunate your taxidermist could not do all three in a  nice natural  of setting because my guess is it was a female and her two kits. That's just judging from the pictures of course. Would have been a nice family photo, so to speak.

I think you are definitely right with the family but when checking in the cats to the DNR they figured the 2 siblings(1M, 1F) were at least 2 years old maybe even 3. Biggest was a female, guessing they met up for a day hunt?

in the month after I got those cats I slowly pulled my gamecams as I hunted the areas with cams. In less than one month I have 5 separate pics of cats, by the size at least 3 are different cats and the other 2 could potentially be more. I have over 30 pics from the last few years, we have bobcat everywhere around our land and next season when I get a big Tom my taxidermist will take that project on, want to get a grouse in the scene with it

Anybody connecting this season!?.....I am worried about the pheasant, grouse, fawns, small game pop if no predators are hitting the ground?

Edited by CaughtABuzz