• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird Nest W/eggs

Kidd

Thought I'd share this picture of a Hummingbird nest.  I am currently in AZ for a couple months and watched a hummingbird build a nest on the patio of the house I'm renting.  Probably not a big deal to you serious birders but it's a first for me.  Hard to tell from the picture but the nest is incredibly small, I don't think you could even put a golf ball inside of it.

Nest.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockin Randy said:

The Desert Museum in Tuson has a building full of Hummingbirds flying around in it. We feed the Hummers in the summer up here, after the hatch we'll see as many as 35 hanging around the feeders.

That's interesting.   We feed hummers up by Lake Vermilion and they seem very territorial.   One will even sit on a twig so it can guard the feeder against interlopers.   If one shows up, it buzzes them until they flee.    We never have multiples feeding at the same time.   This goes on all summer. 

we used to have 2 feeders up on the lake side of the house. we'd then be sitting at the picnic table between them with friends they would fly back and forth!!  we were used to it but everyone else was ducking down!!  it was great!!

2 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

Too cold up here yet for any bird nesting. Neat picture of the nest. We also feed them and there will always be one that chases others away

i usually set out the hummer and oriole feeders around fishing opener!!!!!!!

I put my feeders out 1st of May usually. Such a neat bird. We usually only have a few so they are territorial here. Fun to watch one guard a feeder and then zip down when another one comes. Maybe they get along in bigger numbers?   Up north at daughters inlaws on a lake the neighbors have 4 feeders under a big pine and usually a bunch of hummers. Saw about 15 one time and they got along fine. Pretty neat.