• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Idea on how to get rid of Skunks?

gertds

Most of us have had to deal with a skunk at one or more times of our life. Sometimes and in some circumstances quickly killing a skunk is the only way to deal with the situation.  But I think most genuine outdoors people don't like to kill animals unless they have to. Skunks are pretty gentles critters and you really have to provoke them to make them defend themselves. Leaving garbage available or fish gut piles are a sure way to attract them-and other scavengers- so you can lessen the likelihood of a problem by keeping things clean. We have regular night time visits from skunks who come into our yard to dig for  cutworms and grubs and it is pretty obvious when they have paid a visit. We've had to live trap a couple over the past decade and a couple of times I thought I was going to have to kill one but have always been able to avoid it. We had one that used to come up on the front deck and poke around and we would turn on the lights and open the door and "talk to him" for a few minutes while he walked around. He was unafraid and after a few minutes would simply walk off into the dark.

I put them in the same class as porcupines...harmless and gentle unless you annoy them. Or try to pick them up!

Yes gent's they, and raccoons and mink and weasels and red squirrels all raise hell with birds eggs-I agree. Perhaps my statement they are 'harmless" was too much. Perhaps I was thinking of them as more or less harmless to humans, unless humans threaten them, intentionally or not.

I suspect most folks here will agree regarding casual killing of skunks,  or any other animals.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:30 PM, smurfy said:

just for the sake of the discussion, a few guys from up north that deal with this more say depending on the live trap used, think size, a skunk has to be able to raise there tail to spray. they also put a blanket or some type of cover over the trap. when a skunk is in it they completely cover it. these guys claim if the skunk cant see or raise there tail they wont spay. then its off to the nearest water where they put them in the drink!!!!

I am in no way an expert............just what I,ve been told!!!!!!!! 

I was told of someone that did that but when he tossed the  trap and skunk off the end of the dock they found that the darn thing floated so he had to hold the entire contraption under the water which caused the skunk to spray.  The oils then pooled on the surface of the water causing the guy to soak his arms in skunk water.

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

And sadly 36 replies later and good old gertds never stop back in for all this great info!

Now where's that Sucker picture again? :lol:    

and not one off topic post............................YET!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:grin:

I'm still hoping for someone to tell me what size live trap..... Just in case.  

Possums and Racoons, I got that under control.   Cats, I can never tell if they belong to a neighbor or are feral. 

Besides, I figure cats help keep the rabbit population down, in the absence of fox or yotes.  

6 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I'm still hoping for someone to tell me what size live trap..... Just in case.  

Possums and Racoons, I got that under control.   Cats, I can never tell if they belong to a neighbor or are feral. 

Besides, I figure cats help keep the rabbit population down, in the absence of fox or yotes.  

Any reputable trap supplier can tell you which size trap is appropriate for whatever it is you are trying to catch.  There are several good trapping suppliers right here in Minnesota.  Havahart is a popular brand of live trap.

It was alleged that an appropriate size live trap would prevent a skunk from spraying when caught.   I was hoping for a simple answer from someone as to what size that is.  

I have several havaheart brand traps.    My big one catches everything.   I hope it doesnt catch a skunk. 

I take it you don't know what size for non-spraying skunk? 

11 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

It was alleged that an appropriate size live trap would prevent a skunk from spraying when caught.   I was hoping for a simple answer from someone as to what size that is.  

I have several havaheart brand traps.    My big one catches everything.   I hope it doesnt catch a skunk. 

I take it you don't know what size for non-spraying skunk? 

If you believe a skunk won't spray simply because you have the right size trap, I have a bridge I could sell you in New York, too...

7 hours ago, swamptiger said:

If you believe a skunk won't spray simply because you have the right size trap, I have a bridge I could sell you in New York, too...

That's too bad.   I was sort of hoping it was true.  

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

It might be somewhat true to the extent that if I were buying a live trap for skunks I would try to find one that the skunk would fit in, but couldn't turn around in quickly.  That way, you could approach the trap from the front or the sides, and the skunk couldn't wheel around and nail you.

My experience is you won't have many problems with skunks unless you have a dog yourself.  Dogs love to go investigate skunks....:)

The best way I have found to dispatch a skunk is with one shot to the heart with a .22.  And don't miss...;)

Just now, delcecchi said:

I suppose a body grip trap wouldn't be scent free either.

A good body grip will often kill the skunk immediately before it sprays, if that is an option that can be used.  Belisle makes the best body grip trap.

#160 or #220 would work for a skunk.

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I believe for that to work you have to post a " no spraying" sign in the trap along with the appropriate image of the skunk doing what you don't want it to do. That image must have a red circle around it with a red line striking through it to be officially recognized by the skunk as a no spray zone. Don't use white.