• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Idea on how to get rid of Skunks?

gertds

This might seem slightly off-topic but I would really like to get some help from you all. There have been a few skunks in my garden and they have destroyed all the flower beds. I tried to get rid of it by baiting but they just kept missing it or were clever enough to avoid it, so that did not turn out to be a success. I am thinking of calling a humane wildlife removal service cause I don't want them harmed or killed in any way. Is there any way I can keep them off the house? I have kids and a dog at home. If anybody could share any tips on this, it would be great.

So the skunks are in your flower bed or on your house? :whistle:

Dude, how does this work? You just get different G-mail accounts and start a new troll? At least change your location from Canada, like I'm new and from Texas partner! :lol:

WE used fox urine covered cotton balls placed in area where you want to keep the skunks out. The best way is to put the urine balls in upside down cups so rain does not wash the urine off the cotton balls. So you may have to make a search to buy the urine but may find it at a fleet farm. Skunks are one animal that will keep returning to where they were born I had a client who had skunks retuned to his porch and this is what we used to finally keep them off the property. The urine usually last about a week so buy at least a 4 oz. bottle.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

So the skunks are in your flower bed or on your house? :whistle:

Dude, how does this work? You just get different G-mail accounts and start a new troll? At least change your location from Canada, like I'm new and from Texas partner! :lol:

now thats no way to greet a new member leech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sick::grin:

I can tell you that live traps do work but that the skunk will have a tendency to spray when trapped so its very likely you'll get nailed when trying to deal with it.  Saw that in action when trying to help my uncle deal with a skunk he trapped. luckily i was smart enough to let him to all the close up work.

If you're worried about other animals being caught in a lethal trap then your best bet would be a live trap assuming you can trap it far enough away from the house and anywhere you need to be in case it sprays.  Then once its trapped take it out with a .22 from a safe distance so you don't get sprayed. 

If you can't discharge a firearm where you live I can offer one suggestion I've seen done but it requires you to get up close to the trap.  If you can get the entire trap and skunk into a garbage bag (ideally set the trap up already inside the bag) you can tape the opening of the garbage bag around the exhaust pipe of a car or truck and then let the vehicle run for a little while.  Mr. Skunk will got night night and never wake up.

59 minutes ago, smurfy said:

now thats no way to greet a new member leech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sick::grin:

Hey now. We at HSO have a long history of wanting to help people out. ;)

Look at all the help we gave to ladylossie and her husbands camp drinking dilemma, or lovycrop and her eye myopia or havynan and her Breast augmentation during camping quandary.

I'm sure there is nothing "stinky" about gertd's skunk problem we can't solve! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

Regardless of whether the OP is legitimate or not, I thought I would mention we had skunks living under our hunting shack. We put mothballs where they crawled under it, and that seemed to do the trick. Cheap, easy and humane.

just for the sake of the discussion, a few guys from up north that deal with this more say depending on the live trap used, think size, a skunk has to be able to raise there tail to spray. they also put a blanket or some type of cover over the trap. when a skunk is in it they completely cover it. these guys claim if the skunk cant see or raise there tail they wont spay. then its off to the nearest water where they put them in the drink!!!!

I am in no way an expert............just what I,ve been told!!!!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

Been there done that.  If live trapping grab an egg otta the fridge, you'll catch em in no time.  I haven't tried the urine trick but it sounds like worth trying if you don't want to deal with them..good luck!

wish I would of known about the fox urine thing back a few years ago bear baiting when I had that flippin skunk in our shed up nort!!!!

I use it to keep bunny rabbits outta da garden!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

just for the sake of the discussion, a few guys from up north that deal with this more say depending on the live trap used, think size, a skunk has to be able to raise there tail to spray. they also put a blanket or some type of cover over the trap. when a skunk is in it they completely cover it. these guys claim if the skunk cant see or raise there tail they wont spay. then its off to the nearest water where they put them in the drink!!!!

not true on rasin their tail, some of them dudes are side winders!

41 minutes ago, Bobby Bass said:

not true on rasin their tail, some of them dudes are side winders!

like I said no expert.........:grin: and don't wannabe a skunk expert!!!!! just some of the jibberish i've listened to.

1 hour ago, Ufatz said:

If a skunk cannot get his rear feet on the ground he cannot spray.  Simple as that.

So put up a sign "enter trap on front feet only"....;)

Worked for me.

fox.jpg

6 hours ago, smurfy said:

My grandfather first used this method and we still use it today not one junk has sprayed by using some type of dark blanket.