• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old trailer = new coop

perchking

Had a old 4x8 trailer that was in rough shape and turned it into a coop. The cedar was left over from a sauna build that I had milled off my hunting land. The coop turned out pretty nice better than I wanted/anticipated , planning on 10-12 birds in a 6 foot high fenced in garden that I have no time for. Their run will be 50x80 feet so they will have some room to run. The coop has 4 nesting boxes, chicken door and a person door for cleaning. 

My though process is the kids  will lose interest fast, this way it's easier for me to get rid of, just hook it up and drive away to the new owner:)

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

3 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Looks good

When your ready to get rid of it just drill some holes in the floor and sell it as an ice house! :lol:

You may be on to something there leech, good suggestion... if you're ever in NE Wisc, stop by for some eggs... 

2 minutes ago, perchking said:

You may be on to something there leech, good suggestion... if you're ever in NE Wisc, stop by for some eggs... 

Heck with that kind of work I'll bring a frame and have you build me a little tear drop hunting camper! :lol:

Why not turn it into a play house / shack for the kids?  You could move it around the estate when the kids tire of a location or get old enough to be further away from the house.  Every kid I have ever known would love something like that.  Of course some would want lights and WiFi nowadays.

Or even a shelter for them to wait for the school bus.  Very nice work.

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Tom7227 said:

Why not turn it into a play house / shack for the kids?  You could move it around the estate when the kids tire of a location or get old enough to be further away from the house.  Every kid I have ever known would love something like that.  Of course some would want lights and WiFi nowadays.

Or even a shelter for them to wait for the school bus.  Very nice work.

Yeah, you can give them snacks through the egg doors! :lol:

On 3/4/2017 at 5:36 PM, perchking said:

Had a old 4x8 trailer that was in rough shape and turned it into a coop. The cedar was left over from a sauna build that I had milled off my hunting land. The coop turned out pretty nice better than I wanted/anticipated , planning on 10-12 birds in a 6 foot high fenced in garden that I have no time for. Their run will be 50x80 feet so they will have some room to run. The coop has 4 nesting boxes, chicken door and a person door for cleaning. 

My though process is the kids  will lose interest fast, this way it's easier for me to get rid of, just hook it up and drive away to the new owner:)

Genius! :D

26 minutes ago, perchking said:

the complete ridge line of the roof is a vent.

582b2e0d-d13d-49b2-b4ef-50e40f919f68_400.jpg

Auu, great plan. ;)

Oh by the way. Those aren't nails sticking through the roof sheeting is it? You may find a Shishkabob bird some morning if they get to running each other around in there! :P

Edited by leech~~

Not nails but worse, they are self tappers from the metal roofing:)  Sorry, I need to take the angle grinder out there and zip those off this weekend.  Funny you bring up the name kabob, that is actually the name of one of them if they don't produce:)

Here is a short list of the names my kids came up with:

- Kabob

- Soup

- Nugget

- Fried

- Drummie

- Pot Pie

I cant remember the others but you get the point...

5 minutes ago, perchking said:

Not nails but worse, they are self tappers from the metal roofing:)  Sorry, I need to take the angle grinder out there and zip those off this weekend.  Funny you bring up the name kabob, that is actually the name of one of them if they don't produce:)

Here is a short list of the names my kids came up with:

- Kabob

- Soup

- Nugget

- Fried

- Drummie

- Pot Pie

I cant remember the others but you get the point...

Those are great names from the kids. They seem to know where they will end up in the end! Instead of sweety, cuddles, lovey........  Lol :lol:

I just took my daughter to tractor supply to see the baby chicks and she asked if those were fish sticks.  Only 3 years old but on the right track!  We were talking about chickens the other day but leave for the cabin every weekend and didn't want to leave them alone... with this contraption we could hit the highway and take em with us!  New meaning to fast food!

1 hour ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

I just took my daughter to tractor supply to see the baby chicks and she asked if those were fish sticks.  Only 3 years old but on the right track! 

Please try and get her to know the difference as soon as you can!  Just saying. :lol:

3JessicaSimpson-Chicken-jpg_210223.jpg