• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye AP!

rundrave

I realize he still could resign but I was thrilled to see the Vikings not pick up his option. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Worse case scenario:

The vikings over pay and keep him after they renegotiate a deal?

or

He signs with the packers,  and wins the Super Bowl with them next year at US Bank stadium?

Watched an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Sweetness over the weekend and couldn't help but think of the day years from now when someone puts together a package on AP. Some of the punishing runs by Payton and AP are eerily similar. 

Granted never getting to a Super Bowl stinks, but watching Moss and AP in their primes was a pleasure.

15 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Granted never getting to a Super Bowl stinks, but watching Moss and AP in their primes was a pleasure.

Yep, we might not have many titles in this town, but we have had a chance to see some of the best players and call them our own for a time. That goes for all sports.

Talent is talent...........and it's fun to watch.

Sounds like we have pretty serious interest in Latavius Murray from Oakland. I'd be all for that. Good runner, decent receiving back, and good pass blocking back. AKA, a complete RB and a 3-down guy. At 27, he's not a super long term solution, but for 2-3 years I'd take swing at him. This draft is solid at RB, so we can draft and develop while Murray and McKinnon hold down the fort.

As for AP, I have so many good memories, and he might even be poised for one of those bounce-back type years where he rips of 1300 and 12 TDs, but I just have to believe that should be done somewhere else. He flat out doesn't fit this offensive style. We need a more well rounded back (Murray or someone like him). Hang up your spurs in Texas, AP. Thanks for the good times.

AP is probably the best runner of the football of all time but no where near the best running back of all time. I see many people predict a bounce back year for AP but I'm skeptical.  He has bounced back from worse injuries but that was a few years ago and he's put a lot of mileage on his body since then.  You can only outrun age for so long.

AP also needs a very specific offense for him to succeed.  He's always best when the QB is under center and he has a lead blocker.  Not many teams in the NFL run that type of offense any more. 

I think AP will still come back and be relevant for a team but the idea he'll go for 1500 and 10+ touchdowns for a few more seasons seems unlikely. I think a good season for him will be 1000 yards and maybe 8 tds.

1 hour ago, pikestabber said:

As for AP, I have so many good memories, 

A lot of good memories, but for me they are quickly overshadowed by him consistently fumbling the ball. I will never forget these:

- He put the ball on the ground 3 times in NFC title game in 2010 against the Saints

- Another big fumble in the 2016 playoff game against the Seahawks that allowed them to take the lead

- and there are many more but those were just brutal 

In addition to a bunch of off the field antics and idiotic comments I hope he is done in MN.

The fumbling thing and also the blocking and catching the ball where all things that I thought he should have been able to improve on.  To me the failure to improve in those areas seems to indicate he might lack the right stuff upstairs.  With his physical gifts doing something like blocking shouldn't be that hard.  Its not rocket science, you just need to know your assignment and mostly just be in the right position.  Its almost like he couldn't focus on more than one thing at a time.  If he got the ball he could focus on running but not securing the ball, if he didn't get the ball it seems like he couldn't handle the concept of picking up a rusher if need be and then getting out into his route, maybe it was just too much for him to process at game speed.

Like I said he's probably the best runner most of us have ever seen but the rest of his game was so flawed.

The fumbling thing and also the blocking and catching the ball where all things that I thought he should have been able to improve on.  To me the failure to improve in those areas seems to indicate he might lack the right stuff upstairs.  With his physical gifts doing something like blocking shouldn't be that hard.  Its not rocket science, you just need to know your assignment and mostly just be in the right position.  Its almost like he couldn't focus on more than one thing at a time.  If he got the ball he could focus on running but not securing the ball, if he didn't get the ball it seems like he couldn't handle the concept of picking up a rusher if need be and then getting out into his route, maybe it was just too much for him to process at game speed.

Like I said he's probably the best runner most of us have ever seen but the rest of his game was so flawed.

3 hours ago, rundrave said:

A lot of good memories, but for me they are quickly overshadowed by him consistently fumbling the ball. I will never forget these:

- He put the ball on the ground 3 times in NFC title game in 2010 against the Saints

- Another big fumble in the 2016 playoff game against the Seahawks that allowed them to take the lead

In addition to a bunch of off the field antics and idiotic comments I hope he is done in MN.

Yep fumbles and not being able to break outside anymore.

12507324_1691311184450203_5125223614483405361_n.jpg

He was great but in these last few years he went from hero to zero. Since when has it been up to a player to say whether he will play or not? Especially being what a part time employee like he was the last few years. I can't say I'm too sad to see him go.  

Edited by Hawg

1 hour ago, Hoey said:

If I was a lip reader, AP was talking to Coach Peyton about his rear-end...... during the game.  

According to AP he was telling Payton to run the ball up their "rear end".  So you got the key word.  AP claimed he was telling Payton that they needed to run up the middle.  I think the media was quick to try to make that into something its not.  Neither guy looked heated or like they were yelling.  Just 2 dudes conversing during a competitive game.

But its the Vikings and they did it with Moss, Favre, etc :D

Vikings Rule #1: If you are a QB or RB you will blow out your knee

Vikings Rule #2: If you make playoffs, the kicker will miss

Apparently the Vikings fanbase does not deserve nice things lol

I don't see them bringing back AP.  The only way it happens is if AP is cut and then AP would also have to want to come back.  Given the history between the team and AP I just don't see it.  Besides even if he wanted to come back is it worth the headache given Bradford is still not healthy and it looks like the team is destined to another mediocre season? 

If Murray is healthy then I think they have a reasonably capable back up compared to what other options might be out there via trade or FA signing. 

On 3/1/2017 at 12:27 PM, rundrave said:

I'll never forget the time I was up 20 fantasy points coming into a Monday game with SF vs the Vikes.  I have AP and the guy I'm playing has Carlos Hyde.  It's in the bag.  Until AP throws up 3 points and Carlos Hyde has 29.

36 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

I'll never forget the time I was up 20 fantasy points coming into a Monday game with SF vs the Vikes.  I have AP and the guy I'm playing has Carlos Hyde.  It's in the bag.  Until AP throws up 3 points and Carlos Hyde has 29.

fantasy football.jpg