• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish house mattresses

lungdeflator

What does everybody use for mattresses?  

I think my dad bought the ones off of fish house supply.  But they are only 3-4" thick, not very comfortable and pretty expensive 120$ + I think.  

I was looking on amazon and they have a queen size 6" memory foam mattress for right around 100$.  I was thinking I could cut the mattress in half and end up with 2 pretty nice pieces.....1/2 the cost of the ones from fish house supply. 

X2 on Clarkfield Outdoors.  I think I heard about them from rl_sd on here.  I placed my order one day and the first cushion showed up the next day!  My custom sizes trickled in a few each day for the next couple days.

4" thick, but very comfortable.

I had one of those cheapy memory foam mattresses from Amazon for a few years. They're actually a pretty solid product for the money.

They lose their 'memory' quicker than a high-quality memory foam, turning then into a saggy, too-soft piece of foam, but that's to be expected given the discount cost. 

I got a few years out of one, sleeping on it every night. I could imagine they'd last far, far, far longer in a wheelhouse in a climate where it's in the 60's in November and in the 50's in February.

I ordered a large foam mattress from one of those foam by mail places and I hate it. It was rather cheap, as I cut it up and got all my dinette cushions and a cushion for my bay window, but it is not comfortable at all. I went with a 4" foam and I think I chose one that maybe was a little two firm. My next house I build I am going to just use memory foam, as we already put that down on top of the cushions to make it comfortable. There is no comparison to memory foam IMO and I curse myself every time I make the dinette into a bed and have to dig out the memory foam.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, brian6715 said:

I ordered a large foam mattress from one of those foam by mail places and I hate it. It was rather cheap, as I cut it up and got all my dinette cushions and a cushion for my bay window, but it is not comfortable at all. I went with a 4" foam and I think I chose one that maybe was a little two firm. My next house I build I am going to just use memory foam, as we already put that down on top of the cushions to make it comfortable. There is no comparison to memory foam IMO and I curse myself every time I make the dinette into a bed and have to dig out the memory foam.

I would suggest not just getting one foam density/firmness.  For my cushions I went with 3" of the HD36-HQ and glued 1" Super Soft Foam on top.  Everyone who sleeps on the beds in my shack always comment how comfortable my beds are.  For a 82x76" bed it costs $150 for the foam and another $10 for the good glue which can be cut into 2-3 beds.  I tried the LUX foam for my couch cushions and while the foam is nice for cushions, it is too firm for me to sleep on even with the 1" topper.  I recently switched out the LUX foam to the HD36-HQ and am extremely happy. 

I agree Yetti, I did the HD36-HQ also and even that is a little firm but it's a better alternative than the cheap soft stuff many like Ice Castle use. What you did was the best of both worlds. Is the super soft a Foam Factory product like the HD36  or just soft less expensive Ice Castle type stuff? That was a smart idea, I think that sounds like a summer project.

Not sure what ice castle uses or even feels like.  The super soft is similar to the HD36 just lest dense and softer (density and firmness are two different things).  Having a thin topper on top helps with the firmness of the HD36.  You get the initial soft/sinking feeling from the topper but then the support from the HD36.  I haven't had any really large guys in my shack yet no one yet has even gotten close to bottoming out the 3" of HD36-HQ with the 1" super soft on top.