• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sea Legs and a canopy system or a lift?

Chaws

We just purchased a lake place this fall and we have a pontoon. The lake we're on is a small 450 acre lake with nice gradual sloping hard pack sand bottom at the shore. The lake we're on connects into Kabekona Bay of Leech Lake. We're trying to decide if it would be better to get a set of sea legs for the pontoon and get a canopy system (basically a lift and canopy minus the lifting part) that screws into the lake bottom or if we should just not do the sea legs and get a lift. We're not super familiar with the different bodies of water that make up Leech Lake so we're undecided if sea legs are worth the use outside of easy docking at home or neighbors or taking trips to dock in Walker.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Up are our camp ground there are many people with pontoons. Some of the things I have seen is boat lifts have more adjustment for deeper water if it were to raise in the lake and for more uneven bottoms. The sea legs are nice but they are only so long and a few folks had to stop using there dock spot when the water raised or when big waves started coming in because they couldn't get the boat up any higher. One was banging all over the dock in a storm before anyone saw it and it ripped out a dock section and banged up the boat a bit. But they are cool to pull up and jump off the boat anywhere around the lake.

We bought a pontoon last spring and went with the Sea-Legs.   For us it was the right move.  We use the Sea-Legs to dock/park the pontoon next to our dock where the water is only 2.5 feet deep..  We do not have a canopy over the pontoon.  We use the pontoon playpen cover for protection.   Putting the cover on and off is certainly a little work.  However it is worth it as the pontoon stays very clean because of the cover.  We have two other boats on lifts and frankly they get very dirty from dust, insects and even birds.  The convenience is awesome but I spend a ton of time cleaning those boats up. 

We also set our pontoon up on our lags sand and gravel bars for swimming, floating etc.  The Sea-Legs are much nicer than dealing with and anchor and windy situations.  I also like the fact that I don't have to install and remove a pontoon lift/canopy each spring and fall or find a place to set the lift in the yard.

Have you ever run your pontoon before putting the sea legs on it?

I'm another one curious about Sea Legs but more about how they might affect the performance of a pontoon.  They seem like they might be a good option to a lift though.

Another thing to consider is how shallow the water can get.  Folks we know on Vermilion sometimes have trouble getting stuff off the lift when the water gets low in fall or late summer.  And Vermilion doesn't fluctuate that much, but where we are it is enough to be marginal, considering the bottom topography. 

Edited by delcecchi

We bought the pontoon new and had the Sea-Legs installed at the dealer so we never ran it without the Sea-Legs.  Sea-Legs weigh 385 lbs so they do add some weight.  Its like having 2 extra people on board at all times.  We have a 22 ft pontoon with a 75 HP four stroke.  The pontoon performs just fine but speed isnt a real requirement for how we use it either.

You will drop performance I've heard anywhere from 2 to 4 mph because of the added weight and the drag they produce. If you have a full boat of people and you're trying to pull a kid on a tube, that's when you'll get dinged because of having the extra weight already on the boat plus the people and the lower ride. I don't think we would do it with just the playpen cover, just because of the added effort and the situations of not using it because it's a pain to take it off and put it back on, even with the newer clip system vs button snaps.

My inlaws and the neighbors that they have at their lake love them. They can step level off most any dock.  Canopies are susceptible to wind and damage.

They had a wind up there a few years ago that picked up their old pontoon and threw it thirty yards landing upside down. They had sealegs on it and got another set for the new pontoon.

i have had clients that have the Sea Legs and use them as their lift.  the issue came when the waves became an issue and the Sea Legs bent.  one owner could not do anything other than call the manufacturer of the Sea Legs and they had to set up a time to come to his pontoon and disable and remove the legs because they would no longer retract due to the bend in the sea legs.  IMO great to have for pulling up to sand bars but no way would I use them as my main lift system.

We have had sea legs on our pontoon at are cabin for 15 years they are the best thing ever. Just one less lift to have to take out of the water in the fall. The only thing we have had go wrong is we have replaced the remote one time. They are well worth the money. Over the years we have had some pretty bad storms and they hold up way better then if it was on a lift. Cause its all the way out of the water

Edited by otterman91105

Hi! It's great that you have a lake place and a pontoon. Sea legs and a lift are both great options, and it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.

Sea legs are a good option if you are looking for a more permanent docking solution and want to avoid the hassle of lifting and storing your pontoon each time you use it. They provide stability and allow you to easily dock at home or neighboring docks.

On the other hand, a lift is a good option if you plan on exploring different bodies of water in Leech Lake or want more flexibility in terms of docking options. With a lift, you can easily store your pontoon on shore or dock it in different locations.

If you are not familiar with the different bodies of water in Leech Lake, it might be worth considering getting a lift so you have the option to easily store and move your pontoon as needed.

If you have the budget, you can also consider getting both sea legs and a lift. This will provide you with the best of both worlds and allow you to have a permanent docking solution at home while still having the option to easily move your pontoon when necessary.

In conclusion, both sea legs and a lift have their advantages and disadvantages, and the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.