• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kdrill or Nils

Snowbound

I just picked up the M18 Fuel drill a few weeks ago to replace an old drill that finally died.  I figure if I needed a new drill anyways why not buy one of the best ones out there that can also replace my old Jiffy Model 30 that I'm still using.

Looks like the preferences are mostly split between pairing it with the kdrill or the nils.  From what i can find the 8" for either is the same price.  I do like that I can get the hand drilling option with the nils but I wonder how often i'd actually use that if I can just grab the drill.

What are people seeing for blades staying sharp on the kdrill and nils and if sharpening is needed what is easier to get done?

Speed and weight aren't big concerns for me I'm just looking for the option that requires the least maintenance and will allow the most years of use before having to monkey around with blades or any sort of maintenance.  For reference I don't get out on the ice a ton these days and don't tend to drill a ton of holes unless I'm able to get out for a weekend with the guys.   

Got the k-drill first ice last winter. Have roughly 5000+ holes drilled (I fish kinda hard:grin:) Drill through dirty ice about half the time, hit a tree branch or two along the way as well. Was out this last Sunday, 5inches of ice...still very sharp.

I did touch them up with a file once or twice durring the season. 

On 12/7/2017 at 8:36 AM, nofishfisherman said:

I just picked up the M18 Fuel drill a few weeks ago to replace an old drill that finally died.  I figure if I needed a new drill anyways why not buy one of the best ones out there that can also replace my old Jiffy Model 30 that I'm still using.

Looks like the preferences are mostly split between pairing it with the kdrill or the nils.  From what i can find the 8" for either is the same price.  I do like that I can get the hand drilling option with the nils but I wonder how often i'd actually use that if I can just grab the drill.

What are people seeing for blades staying sharp on the kdrill and nils and if sharpening is needed what is easier to get done?

Speed and weight aren't big concerns for me I'm just looking for the option that requires the least maintenance and will allow the most years of use before having to monkey around with blades or any sort of maintenance.  For reference I don't get out on the ice a ton these days and don't tend to drill a ton of holes unless I'm able to get out for a weekend with the guys.   

I have a Nils and love it, would recommend it to anyone. Although I've never used the K-Drill, I've seen enough positive reviews to feel confident you really can't go wrong with either one. The only exception is if you're reopening holes a lot (especially if you have a permanent house). The K-Drill seems to be better for that. 

Buddie runs the blue bit gas Nills and Tanaka powerhead and he also told me they no longer make them. He bought another one off a guy just for a backup. Thinking maybe just the gas ones are gone  but possibly both, Interested to hear what Frank says. 

Not a chance that Nils is closing, quite the opposite as they can't make them fast enough.

The Tanaka powerhead and transmission made by Hitachi (great product btw)was discontinued a few years back along with many other Tanaka power tools.   I thought that might effect Nils but timing and trend of going electric plus new higher torque drills and lithium higher amp hr batteries made the transition seamless.

15 minutes ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

Frank, how does one become a certified Nils sharpener anyway? I honestly have no interest, just curious. Seems weird you are like the only one anywhere that does this. What happens when you retire? 

Hes kinda like the Highlander.... There can be only one;)

It wasn't easy.

I had to marry a Finn and be in good standing with MIL to get my foot in the door.   I then meet Matti Nykänen at a Pikkujoulu Party  when he noticed I had a new Nokia phone and asked to see it.  We talked for hours about our ski jumping days over a loaf of Pulla. Later the conversation turned to ice fishing and Nils Master.

His uncle was a sharpener in Finland and planned to come to the USA and sharpen. Said he could make a lot of money.   Turned out he wasn't authorized by Nils Master and his true intent was to smuggle brown bread in the US and in doing so lost his visa.  It was a huge embarrassment to his family and to Finland.   Finland needed a sharpener in the US but I was a Norwegian.   After some arm twisting by my MIL I was allowed to be trained but I had to sign a sworn document not to pass anything on to either Norway or the Russians. Even then I wasn't allowed to see how the blade was made, only how to sharpen and reshape a blade that needed reshaping.

Retire,  exercise and a Finnish Brown Bread is the key to a long life and you don't need to smuggle it. I order it online from New York and it keeps good for years.

58 minutes ago, Surface Tension said:

It wasn't easy.

I had to marry a Finn and be in good standing with MIL to get my foot in the door.   I then meet Matti Nykänen at a Pikkujoulu Party  when he noticed I had a new Nokia phone and asked to see it.  We talked for hours about our ski jumping days over a loaf of Pulla. Later the conversation turned to ice fishing and Nils Master.

His uncle was a sharpener in Finland and planned to come to the USA and sharpen. Said he could make a lot of money.   Turned out he wasn't authorized by Nils Master and his true intent was to smuggle brown bread in the US and in doing so lost his visa.  It was a huge embarrassment to his family and to Finland.   Finland needed a sharpener in the US but I was a Norwegian.   After some arm twisting by my MIL I was allowed to be trained but I had to sign a sworn document not to pass anything on to either Norway or the Russians. Even then I wasn't allowed to see how the blade was made, only how to sharpen and reshape a blade that needed reshaping.

Retire,  exercise and a Finnish Brown Bread is the key to a long life and you don't need to smuggle it. I order it online from New York and it keeps good for years.

You missed the part about "All my blades are hand rubbed with love"  :grin:

33 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

You missed the part about "All my blades are hand rubbed with love"  :grin:

So what you're saying is if we ever hear him say "I'm going out to the garage to give my blade a love rub" we shouldn't be too worried?

Edited by nofishfisherman