• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This late summer I cooked all of the water out of some chicken of the woods, and then froze them. Anyone ever try that? I've heard it worked and decided to give it a whirl, I would imagine a little reconstituting should bring them back to life for a dish here and there. 

I love the flavor of them and hope it comes out after I thaw them. 

On a side note, I'm missing shroom hunting lol. 

We must be on the same brain-length here, Jim, because I've had shroom hunting on the brain all week (-20 does that to a guy, I guess)... I actually just had a mushroom-swiss burger two days ago with COTW, and used the rest of the shrooms for a venison pepperoni breakfast wrap today (breakfast of champions, lol).

I preserve very similar to what you tried. I cut into bite size pieces and fry in a fairly generous amount of butter and season to taste. Once cooked through, I drain the water and let the mushrooms cool. Then I portion half cups of cooked shrooms into tightly wrapped Glad Press n Seal. Each portion then goes into a Ziploc freezer bag for added protection. 1/2 cup is about right for a pizza, a couple burgers, etc. If you want more, just take out a few packages. Just want enough for a burger or two, take out just one portion, etc. I think the flavor holds very true to the original. They may be a touch softer, but they actually preserve well. This is the same method I use for Chants, Lobsters, etc., and all come out great. You can thaw and use that way, reheat in a fry pan, or even just thaw them in the microwave. Sure beats NO mushrooms in the dead of winter, that's for sure!

These are one of my faves. Such an awesome flavor! After black morels these are my favorite to hunt and the last couple of years I've been finding tons of them, not literally but it sure seemed like it lol. We've got a couple of chant spots that eventually turn into a chicken coop. New spots each year, there's nobody up in the woods up here in August besides the bear baiters and the paint sniffers lol. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Stick in Mud said:

I have cooked and then frozen them....though I've had better luck vacuum sealing them than just putting them in a freezer bag.  They do get freezer burn pretty quickly in my experience.  Of course, I might be doing something wrong.

I used to vac seal, too, but I think that's where some tightly wrapped press n seal saves time and money. And I very specifically mean the Glad brand Press n Seal--I won't waste a dime on anything else ever again. That stuff is magic. Between this first layer and then the protection of a freezer bag, I've eaten shrooms a year later will no sign of frost bite!

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

how were the frozen hens? 

Even reading back through this thread I didn't see a mention of hens? Not sure who that was meant for, but I will take a crack at it and say that I would have to think they hold up as well as Chickens would, which in my experience is A-Okay.

Edited by pikestabber

You'll grow old whether I answer or not. :)

Honestly, I'm guessing one reason you didn't like them was that they were too old.  They get...I dunno how to describe it...a little gamey if they get too old.  The trick is to look at the pores on the underside of the frond.  The best hens are pure white, with pores so small you can't really see them.  As soon as the underside gets at all off-white, they go downhill, at least to my taste buds. As that happens, the pores increase in size and become easily visible.

9 hours ago, Stick in Mud said:

You'll grow old whether I answer or not. :)

Honestly, I'm guessing one reason you didn't like them was that they were too old.  They get...I dunno how to describe it...a little gamey if they get too old.  The trick is to look at the pores on the underside of the frond.  The best hens are pure white, with pores so small you can't really see them.  As soon as the underside gets at all off-white, they go downhill, at least to my taste buds. As that happens, the pores increase in size and become easily visible.

how were the ones I gave you?  it was my first time eating some and I thought a bit strong. i remember they were not white so that makes sense.