• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How close???

mysnopro

19 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Because of permanent fish houses, being on a spot you wanted fish?

No, the eight gazillion people on my three favorite lakes. After about 2005 or so, it seems the ice fishing population skyrocketed. I stopped the driving three years ago, also due to physical limitations.I have to "blame" the nice porty's and all the new gear that made it even more popular. During the 80's and 90's, not a ton of people out there like there is now. The 70's, you pretty much had the place to yourself.

Not much you can do about the fish condos....the lake is there for everyone to enjoy. Same thing if soft water season as the couple of guys that anchor their boats every week over the prime fish spots and don't move.

8 hours ago, BobT said:

I don't have anything against permanent houses but giving it some thought, something could be said about leaving houses on the lake. A guy puts up a permanent house and suddenly there's a part of the lake that is off limits because nobody else can fish that area. I know there's a lot of lake but why was that place chosen for the house? The same reason that another guy may want to fish that area. What's worse is when a permanent house is only used once a week or once a month. Nobody can fish the spot for as long as that house in in that location. Add to that a group of houses put up over a known structure. 

At least, with a portable, once you leave you leave the lake open for others.

Are the hot spots really so small that one perm can block the whole spot?  

Although wheel houses are getting pretty big.  

14 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Are the hot spots really so small that one perm can block the whole spot?  

Although wheel houses are getting pretty big.  

They can when people seem to want 100's of feet between them and the next angler. Wasn't this post about someone being 50 ft away but the OP was still unsatisfied? 2 fish houses with a 100 ft diameter radius around each of them would take up an entire point line or rock pile on some of the smaller lakes around here.

Like anything else, your viewpoint on this will probably be shaped by what you are used to. 

Personally I am used to doing the majority of my ice fishing on metro area lakes. It's just a fact of life on these lakes that if you are in a spot that holds fish, you will probably have a few if not many other anglers in close proximity. It's just how it works around here, I don't let it bother me at all.

53 minutes ago, ESSGuy said:

I got to my perm on Mille Lacs today. Have a house outline within 10 feet of my propane tanks. Cig butts on ice. Looks like they used a free source of heat(me). I think that may be too close. Bunch of jack wagons.

Friggin' dirtballs!  *SMACK* :mad:

Always been that way.  Back 60 years ago on Fish Lake, near Harris, we used to fish with an old farmer that lived on the lake and had what now is called a perm out there.   And there were other shacks pretty close, almost village like. 

Caught a lot of crappies then. 

There's such a wide variety of opinions from wheelhouses anglers, it seems.

I had a guy on Garrison Reef mouthing off to me a couple weeks ago as I was setting up my portable in a spot at least 100' from him. Meanwhile, there was about wheelhouse about 30' away from him. 

5 hours ago, BassThumb. said:

There's such a wide variety of opinions from wheelhouses anglers, it seems.

I had a guy on Garrison Reef mouthing off to me a couple weeks ago as I was setting up my portable in a spot at least 100' from him. Meanwhile, there was about wheelhouse about 30' away from him. 

Oh, you must have been in the Wheelhouse parking only spot.

20 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Like anything else, your viewpoint on this will probably be shaped by what you are used to. 

Personally I am used to doing the majority of my ice fishing on metro area lakes. It's just a fact of life on these lakes that if you are in a spot that holds fish, you will probably have a few if not many other anglers in close proximity. It's just how it works around here, I don't let it bother me at all.

Unless you show up right at sundown power hour and think you need to drill a 50 hole grid network or plan on blasting music or being otherwise loud AF, I don't really care either. 

Yesterday I had a couple dudes set up about 10 yards from me, in what was a somewhat dispersed village.   They pull up and I'm sort of annoyed, but two auger punches and a couple truck door slams later I never heard them again except for a couple hoots when they caught something.  Why should I be butthurt?

I've had a guy pizz and moan in his portable for 6 hours because I set up 75 feet away from him on popular structure on minnetonka.  When he came charging over I told him to get a dogsled and head to the BWCA if he wants solitude because he's fishing the metro now.  He gave me a lecture on no one having any "common currency" anymore.  I said the US dollar was accepted at most places, and he went back to finish the other half of his whiskey bottle, just snorting about us for the rest of the night. 

Edited by bobbymalone

We were on a metro lake one day, walked out away from everybody else found 1 drilled hole and set up the portable on top of it so I only had to drill 3 more. Well bout an hour later here's a guy walking around looking for something....HIS HOLE...turns out he caught a northern in it yesterday so it's the hotspot on the lake. After some arguing he finally walked away and used a different one bout 20' away , after not catching anything he blamed us of course..

I had some dudes get huffy about me stealing their holes one time.  They were where I wanted to be and were packing up when I drove out.  So I just set up camp over their holes when they drove off. 

20 minutes later they show back up with McDonald's cheeseburgers, madder than hornets. 

I moved my house in a hurry late last week and thought I could do it with Just a GPS(like I said, I was in a hurry). Well it didn't work, when  I drilled my first 2 holes and cleaned them out I was in No Mans Land in 8 feet of water. It was my own stupidity but Oh Well. I went out yesterday to move it again and watch the football game. I had 4 portables within 15-20 feet of my house. One guy had a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile so his 6 kids could take turns doing brodies and racing between houses. The other group was playing football with a dog that barked on every toss. I had to ask the guy in front of me to move just so I could hook up to my house to move it which he grumbled and did. Now, do you guys that defend these dumbasses really think they came that close because I had the spot on the spot blocked off? 

Edited by Hawg

8 minutes ago, Hawg said:

I moved my house in a hurry late last week and thought I could do it with Just a GPS(like I said, I was in a hurry). Well it didn't work, when  I drilled my first 2 holes and cleaned them out I was in No Mans Land in 8 feet of water. It was my own stupidity but Oh Well. I went out yesterday to move it again and watch the football game. I had 4 portables within 15-20 feet of my house. One guy had a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile so his 6 kids could take turns doing brodies and racing between houses. The other group was playing football with a dog that barked on every toss. I had to ask the guy in front of me to move just so I could hook up to my house to move it which he grumbled and did. Now, do you guys that defend these dumbasses really think they came that close because I had the spot on the spot blocked off? 

They must have thought so. What difference does it make "why" they were fishing where they were?They had the same right to be there as you did.

19 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

20 minutes later they show back up with McDonald's cheeseburgers, madder than hornets. 

I'd be mad too if I had to eat McDonald's cheeseburgers for lunch  :D

17 minutes ago, Hawg said:

I rest my case. Is everything in your world about "rights"

Pretty much.

with complete disregard to etiquette or courtesy?

No, etiquette and courtesy was when you politely asked the guy to move and he did.

I'm out of this post it's just a trap that boils my blood every time.

offended.jpg