• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

K-drill roll call and update

muc33

Bought the 8" k-drill this fall to go with a brand new 20v Dewalt, no clam drill plate. Only been out a couple times so far this year, last weekend most recently for a couple hours, I fished off the wheeler and the drill was outside in the cold for the duration. Drilled 24 holes through 10" of ice, there was still battery life left but I didn't need to drill any more holes. The dewalt handled it just fine, have to use the lowest speed setting. I would highly recommend the k drill as the times I've gotten to use it so far this year I've loved it. The dewalt thus far has been up to the challenge! 

8" k-drill user. This is my 3rd season. Using Dewalt DCD995 and 4 amp battery. I think this is about a 700 in/lb torque drill. Same class as the older Milwaukee fuel's. Milwaukee now has a model with 1200 in/lb. Not that it's necessary, but if I were buying a new drill today, I'd have to seriously reconsider going milwaukee.

Never once wished I had my old gas auger. I do think these kdrills are the cats a..

I've used both with a drill plate and without. Each has benefits. Less weight and better trigger control without it, more stability and less wrist fatigue with it.

For you guys with permanents, the K-drill rocks on re drilling holes!

Just last weekend I had over 20 holes in 17" of ice on half a battery. I really don't keep track of  the hole count much anymore because I've never had an issue.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:50 AM, Gus said:

8" k-drill user. This is my 3rd season. Using Dewalt DCD995 and 4 amp battery. I think this is about a 700 in/lb torque drill. Same class as the older Milwaukee fuel's. Milwaukee now has a model with 1200 in/lb. Not that it's necessary, but if I were buying a new drill today, I'd have to seriously reconsider going milwaukee.

Never once wished I had my old gas auger. I do think these kdrills are the cats a..

I've used both with a drill plate and without. Each has benefits. Less weight and better trigger control without it, more stability and less wrist fatigue with it.

For you guys with permanents, the K-drill rocks on re drilling holes!

Just last weekend I had over 20 holes in 17" of ice on half a battery. I really don't keep track of  the hole count much anymore because I've never had an issue.

Great Post Gus!  Thanks for a truthful and full detail report on likes, preference, options etc!  I find posts that are straight foward and unbiased like this to me the MOST helpful!  Thanks Gus!

I use the Dewalt 20 Volt MAX XR Lith Ion Brushless 3-Speed 1/2" Hammer Drill # DCD996 on an 8" K-drill.  No plate.  Works awesome with the 6aH battery pack.  I do for some reason have a harder time getting my holes plumb?

I wanted a kdrill so bad I could taste it even with a brand new Ion. Now that I’ve had both Ion may be touch heavier but I like it way better. Easier to handle. Both are about the same speed. 

Picked up the 6" last year and paired it with the M18 Fuel drill, no Clam plate.   Tested one battery and got 45-50 holes on one charge through 14-18" of ice. 

Absolutely love it so far.  Its light weight, never refuses to start, no gas or oil to deal with, and I don't have to store a larger auger thats useless 8 months out of the year. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:56 PM, papadarv said:

Found some photos of the Eskimo Pistol and Pistol blades. Looks a lot like a hand auger, shaver blades with a stop plate and drill bit adapter. Listed price at $166. Not quite a K-Drill.

Looks like their version of a Nils. I own a Nils and am really happy with it. However, the convenience of having replaceable blades for the Pistol could be appealing to some, rather than having to send the whole Nils head/blades in to a pro to get sharpened.