• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vhb part number

perchking

Still trying to decide either to use rivets on my skid house or VHB tape. My dilemma is I have the rivets already, but I want to look at what it would cost if I decide to change my mind. There seems to be a fair amount of part numbers out there for VHB, what are most of you using?

Also, I have 1.25 aluminum studs, do you recommend 1" width?

Look up VHB alternative. There is a company called High Bond Tapes that I bought from.  I used1" x 25 mil on the seams and 1" x 45 mil on everything else. I can't comment on the performance compared to 3M but can say that the High Bond stuff sticks well enough that you would deform/destroy the aluminum before pulling the pieces apart. They'll even send you samples if you want.

The best bet for the 3M VHB is the CV62 and CV45.  Others will work, but I haven't had quite as good of results.  If you spend some time on the famous search engine, you'll find the CV line of tapes for $47/roll.

I love the idea of some competition for 3M, though!  They must have felt like their tape was made of diamonds, and I have no doubt that High Bond tapes has helped get the cost of the CV line down, as it is about 50-60% cheaper in the last 5 years.  

http://www.sri-supplies.com/3m-vhb-commercial-vehicle-tape-cv45f-gray-1-in-x-36-yd-45-0-mil.html

This is what I used. The stuff is very sticky. Plan ahead and make sure you have the sheeting where you want it because it's not coming off.

Clean install.

Just make sure you degrease material before assembly

When I built mine a 3M rep called me to see what I wanted to do. He told me to use the VHB 5952. I tried to pull two scape pieces apart with it and destroyed the metal but not the tape. For going to the wood studs I used 3M #760 sealant. I used the sealant to hold on my alum rock guard and that is all and it is all staying together great. I would use the same materials again if I build another house.

Edited by Smoker