• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amateur question for someone with 25 years of ice fishing experience

perchking

Too hard to dig 'em!!! :crazy:   I do, and caught rainbows on them. And sunnies. I'd guess because they maybe burrow in the cold like leeches, etc., and is not a "common" bait for the fish? Like "match the hatch?" Just my rough stab at it....

I also thought of supply and demand, but I would be willing to guess most anglers buy their worms from a bait shop for summer fishing. I am assuming the major suppliers that supply these bait shops  do not dig worms like a lot of us hacks do. I am assuming they have worm farms that could be fairly easily be enclosed if they are not already.  

I would try it if I had some.

I do think considering the fish are typically more neutral in the winter as Thier metabolism is slowed, that small presentations are nessessary(especially panfish).  A worm much bigger than wax worms may not garner the most action.

20 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I was raising some crawlers in a box in the basement one winter mainly for fishing the shore. Brought a few up to Mille Lacs for Walleye ice fishing in mid winter. Nothing! :( 

You should have tried putting them on the hook. 

I like to cut the crawlers from my yard into 2 inch little pieces in the fall after a good rain. Then I throw them on the trays and dehydrate them. when I go ice fishing I rehydrate them with a little WD40. Crazy good!  Maybe I should start selling to Walmart? 

2 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I like to cut the crawlers from my yard into 2 inch little pieces in the fall after a good rain. Then I throw them on the trays and dehydrate them. when I go ice fishing I rehydrate them with a little WD40. Crazy good!  Maybe I should start selling to Walmart? 

interesting

16 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

From the FAQ at WD 40 site:

Why not try it out?  Well for one all the evidence is anecdotal.  Plus, I am pretty sure that fish do not love the scent of petroleum distillates, which is what WD-40 is these days.  This of course is another issue with using it, and that is that you are dumping oil into the water every time you spray it on your lures and throw them overboard. Technically you are polluting the water if you use WD-40 on your lures.