• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

My daily drinker lately has been Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon.  Last summer I had some buddies over to the house and we all brought whatever whiskey/bourbons we had and we did a taste test.  We ended up with 25 different bottles to try and we collectively ranked them in order from first to worst.  We all agreed that Rebel Yell stacked up really well against the more expensive $50-75 bottles.  I think we had it ranked 3rd or 4th overall which is pretty solid for a $15 bourbon.  I've actually found it as cheap as $9.99 at Trader Joes for awhile but they just increased the price to $14.99.  

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

My daily drinker lately has been Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon.  Last summer I had some buddies over to the house and we all brought whatever whiskey/bourbons we had and we did a taste test.  We ended up with 25 different bottles to try and we collectively ranked them in order from first to worst.  We all agreed that Rebel Yell stacked up really well against the more expensive $50-75 bottles.  I think we had it ranked 3rd or 4th overall which is pretty solid for a $15 bourbon.  I've actually found it as cheap as $9.99 at Trader Joes for awhile but they just increased the price to $14.99.  

I'm betting that after 25 shots, the last ones you tasted were better than the first. ?

We did of course drink each one but we did foresee the issue of getting drunk so we tried to remain moderately sober throughout the process.  Each sample was a splash in a glass, not 25 separate shots.  I would say we were all in pretty good shape throughout the tasting and could remain reasonable objective throughout without the liquor doing all the talking. 

After the tasting was over is when the wheels sort of fell off of things.  Thats when we headed outside for cigars and a couple more drinks that were a touch larger than a splash in a glass. 

7 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

We did of course drink each one but we did foresee the issue of getting drunk so we tried to remain moderately sober throughout the process.  Each sample was a splash in a glass, not 25 separate shots.  I would say we were all in pretty good shape throughout the tasting and could remain reasonable objective throughout without the liquor doing all the talking. 

After the tasting was over is when the wheels sort of fell off of things.  Thats when we headed outside for cigars and a couple more drinks that were a touch larger than a splash in a glass. 

I haven't had a cigar in over 18 years and I don't know much about them but I have been having a craving lately. Anyone have any suggestions for a novice cigar smoker? Especially one that would be good with a couple fingers of bourbon?

Edited by Big Dave2

That’s a good question.  Once every couple years I get a craving too but couldn’t tell you a dang thing beyond make sure it’s not dry.  You could describe the taste you’re looking for to someone at a decent smoke shop and they could help you out - kinda like picking a wine.

Otherwise get a pack of Backwoods Smokes to get by on the cheap.

As long as we’re going back a bit off topic I wanna see if if anyone else has tried beers from Kona Brewery - my new favorite.  The Sampler pack is a good start.  My least favorite is Castaway IPA but I deal with it so I can get to Firerock, Big Wave and Longboard.  Each fits a different mood so I like to have the option.  And the last single flavor I tried was Pipeline; a porter with Kona coffee.  It calls for a goblet or at least a wine glass in pinch to get the best out of it but so worth it for what I consider a “regular” priced beer.

12 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I haven't had a cigar in over 18 years and I don't know much about them but I have been having a craving lately. Anyone have any suggestions for a novice cigar smoker? Especially one that would be good with a couple fingers of bourbon?

I actually don't know a ton about them either.  I'm only an occasional cigar smoker.  However, my wife travels to Cuba occasionally so I have her pick me up some Monte Cristo #2 and then whatever else her contacts there recommend.  The Monte Cristos are fantastic and go well with bourbon or the 7 year aged Havana Club rum I have.  My humidor only has at most maybe 10 cigars in it but usually they are all cuban unless someone gifts me something else.  

16 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

Bet the cigars tasted darn good after the taste test !

You have no idea!

We started the night with wagyu steaks on the grill, moved to the whiskey tasting, and then capped it off with cigars and another couple pours from our favorite bottles.   It was a good night.  We're working on setting up another one with a tasting of another type of liquor. 

20 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

If you can find them for a reasonable price a Oliva Master Blend 3 is a nice smoke that dose not need a lot of rest. A Crown Heads Jericho Hill or Arturo Fuente Hemingway are also a nice smokes that should not need much rest. If you can pick up a fiver from JRs or Famous and keep them in Tupperware with a 65% Boveda Pack you can let them rest until you want to smoke. The prices on line are better then most shops,  and most shops keep there cigars a little too wet for smoking right away. All of these are more of the medium type smokes so they are a little easier to take on when you don't smoke often.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:28 PM, Wanderer said:

As long as we’re going back a bit off topic I wanna see if if anyone else has tried beers from Kona Brewery - my new favorite.  The Sampler pack is a good start.  My least favorite is Castaway IPA but I deal with it so I can get to Firerock, Big Wave and Longboard.  Each fits a different mood so I like to have the option.  And the last single flavor I tried was Pipeline; a porter with Kona coffee.  It calls for a goblet or at least a wine glass in pinch to get the best out of it but so worth it for what I consider a “regular” priced beer.

The Big Wave is my choice from them.  Great summer brew! 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:01 PM, Wanderer said:

Gotta tell you guys, since you got my curiosity going on Bulleit, things just haven’t been the same. :P

I’m finding I’m pulling more corks than spinning gold crowns off bottles.  And pretty much everyone that I know than can appreciate bourbon on the rocks has really liked it too.

Welcome to the Whiskey Wabbit hole!  That's how I started too.... Loved my Crown, then Crown Black and then began my decent. There's a lot of good stuff out there. Would love to sample more, but then I think I would become a certified Alchy, and have to begin the 12 steps..... ;)

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

Another bourbon that I highly recommend (even though it's made in Sconnie! ;)). 45th  Parallel Distillery. 

It's got a little bite to it, but I found it to smooth out after a few hits and has a good flavor. A little spendier being it's a micro-brew, but worth it, IMO. 

border-bourbon.jpg

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

On 3/11/2019 at 8:09 PM, Big Dave2 said:

Depends a lot on your tastes. I personally don't find where brand name means all that much for each brand has a wide variety of cigar sizes, lengths, strengths, flavors, and wraps to choose from. I personally prefer the aged maduro wrap for flavor, mild to medium strength, and 42 ring or larger diameter.

Larger diameter cigars will burn cooler preserving the flavor much longer as heat kills the taste. That's why nubs can be popular. Smoking them slower so they don't heat up as much can also help. Here are a couple of my favorites.

• Ashton Aged Maduro Churchill - medium strength, maduro wrap, Churchill size (48 ring, 7" long). A little more spendy.
  • Macanudo Maduro Gigante - mild to medium strength, maduro wrap, gigante shape (60 ring, 6" long). Moderately priced.
  • Don Lugo Maduro Robusto - mild strength, maduro wrap, robusto size (42 ring, 5" long). For a low cost cigar I find these to be pretty good.
  • Backwoods Sweet Aromatic - Very mild, aged wrap provides a sweet flavor but not sugary, cigarillo size (27 ring, 4" long). Cheep cigarillo you can find at most cigarette outlets. The Black & Sweet or Mild & Wild are also quite good.

These can all be found on Thompson Cigars HSOforum.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:57 PM, Jim Almquist said:

Another thing is to wait till it gets warmer. Need the temp to be at least 60 before the flavors will taste right. Any colder and the cigar will taste lousy and it dose not matter what cigar you choose.

Humidor is a smoke saver. Using Propylene Glycol fluid keeps my cigars at a pretty constant 70%, which is ideal. Although, during the winter the house is at about 70 degrees which is a tad on the cool side for 76-80 degrees is ideal. As you said, summer is better.

Just checked my humidor the other day after neglecting it a bit.  Found the humidity down to 50-55%, uh-oh!  Tossed in a new 70% boveda pack hoping to slowly bring them back up to 70%.  Any other tricks to help revive them.  I checked them out and they aren't cracking or anything so I don't think they are too far gone.  Currently only 4-5 unwrapped cigars and another 5 wrapped cigars in the humidor.  The wrapped ones are noticeably less dry. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

If your Boveda packs get dry all you need to do is stick them in a Tupperware type container with some distilled water. Make a tray right above the water and the Boveda will take enough water to get back to it original % 

Thats what I've done with them.  Takes some time but works pretty well. The dried out one is re-hydrating now while a fresh one is re-hydrating the cigars.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, BRULEDRIFTER said:

Another bourbon that I highly recommend (even though it's made in Sconnie! ;)). 45th  Parallel Distillery. 

It's got a little bite to it, but I found it to smooth out after a few hits and has a good flavor. A little spendier being it's a micro-brew, but worth it, IMO. 

border-bourbon.jpg

Looks a lot like the Stuff President Trump drinks........

border wall bourbon.jpg