• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

Since Bulleit was mentioned so much, I thought I'd check for it tonight when I went to get my standards.  With all the positive reviews I went to scanning the top shelf right away.  I didn't find it till I got a little lower.  I can say I was a little surprised to see it priced at $24.

What is it that everyone likes about it?  I'm curious now.  I wasn't curious enough to add it to the tab though.

By the way, Johnnie Walker Platinum and Blue Label took top honors in the price category at $99 and $209 per bottle respectively.

Edited by Wanderer

Not a bourbon and whiskey drinker but for the last 2 Christmases we have gotten a bottle of bourbon from our daughter and son in-law. Our son in-law was born in Louisville so that is why we got these. They were Angels Envy and Evan Williams. Anybody who has had these care to comment?  

I used to sip cognac with a beer and I didn't even get in to whiskeys or bourbons until 8 or 10 years ago, so as a novice I started with the Canadian blends like Crown, Tangle Ridge and Pendleton and I'm more of a sipper using the old fashioned glasses.  I can't give recommendations on any of the really good brands, but if you ever see some of this... run screaming from the bar.

uxb6EaA.jpg?1

10 hours ago, thirdeye said:

I used to sip cognac with a beer and I didn't even get in to whiskeys or bourbons until 8 or 10 years ago, so as a novice I started with the Canadian blends like Crown, Tangle Ridge and Pendleton and I'm more of a sipper using the old fashioned glasses.  I can't give recommendations on any of the really good brands, but if you ever see some of this... run screaming from the bar.

uxb6EaA.jpg?1

Is it even aged ? :D

2 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

Is it even aged ? :D

Well, yes and no.  When the distillery opened they hired Steve Nally of Makers Mark fame and all of the ingredients come from the local area.  The facility is cool, the bottle and label are cool... it had everything going for it.  But for some reason the partners decided on releasing it earlier than planned, and about this time Nally (who the story claims did not agree with this decision) parted ways with them.  Because of promotion there was a lot of interest and advanced sales and some dealers were limited to a case or two.  But it really bombed hard, and some batches (the bottles show batch numbers) were way worse than others. It didn't turn out like they planned it would and after a while most of the sales were to tourists. On the bright side, after a few years WW admitted they had a problem and began blending batches (and likely made other changes as well), and even had representatives travel the state giving free samples of the "new" WW.  It has improved slightly, but many folks still have the bad taste in their mouth.  A dealer I know told me the liquor commission in Cheyenne (all sales go through them) has something like 500 cases in the warehouse and it's a slow mover. 

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

and you have 2??

I actually ordered a case so I could give it out to customers, as luck would have it the bar I ordered through only got 2 cases on that first order, so all of the pre-order people just got a couple of bottles, and they kept a few back for stocking the bar.  For a couple of days patrons were sampling it at the bar and it began to get the thumbs down. I actually cancelled my order for the remaining case.  I did make it halfway through one bottle, but wound up tossing the rest.  I kept the unopened one just because it might be worth something in 20 or 30 years.

1 hour ago, swamptiger said:

It does have a nice caramel color to it.  I think that's supposed to make it taste better.

Yep nice color alright. The flavor is slightly sweet with a hint of oak, vanilla and kerosene, and it has a burn.  The first glass is sort of deceiving and after the second the flavor becomes unpleasant.  Most believe it's just too young and needed the full aging. 

On 1/22/2017 at 10:19 AM, thirdeye said:

Well, yes and no.  When the distillery opened they hired Steve Nally of Makers Mark fame and all of the ingredients come from the local area.  The facility is cool, the bottle and label are cool... it had everything going for it.  But for some reason the partners decided on releasing it earlier than planned, and about this time Nally (who the story claims did not agree with this decision) parted ways with them.  Because of promotion there was a lot of interest and advanced sales and some dealers were limited to a case or two.  But it really bombed hard, and some batches (the bottles show batch numbers) were way worse than others. It didn't turn out like they planned it would and after a while most of the sales were to tourists. On the bright side, after a few years WW admitted they had a problem and began blending batches (and likely made other changes as well), and even had representatives travel the state giving free samples of the "new" WW.  It has improved slightly, but many folks still have the bad taste in their mouth.  A dealer I know told me the liquor commission in Cheyenne (all sales go through them) has something like 500 cases in the warehouse and it's a slow mover. 

I actually ordered a case so I could give it out to customers, as luck would have it the bar I ordered through only got 2 cases on that first order, so all of the pre-order people just got a couple of bottles, and they kept a few back for stocking the bar.  For a couple of days patrons were sampling it at the bar and it began to get the thumbs down. I actually cancelled my order for the remaining case.  I did make it halfway through one bottle, but wound up tossing the rest.  I kept the unopened one just because it might be worth something in 20 or 30 years.

Yep nice color alright. The flavor is slightly sweet with a hint of oak, vanilla and kerosene, and it has a burn.  The first glass is sort of deceiving and after the second the flavor becomes unpleasant.  Most believe it's just too young and needed the full aging. 

Thanks for the great review. I saw this at the local liquor store and I was wondering about it.

Picked up a bottle of Maker's Mark today.

makers mark.jpg

Edited by Big Dave2

I am a fan of Wyoming Whiskey.  The key is to make sure you get Batch # 22 or later.  Indications are that the earlier ones were dump.      I have partaken of Batches #'s 22, (got lucky here) and # 27, and found them to be very enjoyable.  I am a diehard Basil Hayden's fan and WW reminds me a lot of it.  

My everyday whiskey is George Dickel, 8 yr. old.   It is a Tennessee whiskey and not technically a bourbon, but drink what you like, and I like it a lot.