• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

I was in Kansas City last week. I was looking over the offerings at Minske Pizza and the bartender sang the praises of Whistle Pig Rye. I had one on the rocks and have to say it was heavenly. When I got my check I found out that drink cost me $20! Good thing I didn't have 10 of them.

Always gotta be careful and ask the price, especially when it comes to fancy "craft" booze.  Some of that stuff is ridiculous.  

And whistle pig whiskey is "bottled on whistle pig farm"   but probably distilled in Indiana (nope, they got a deal on "blending whiskey" from Canada)  .  (and they didn't get that until sometime after 2007)

They are selling 10 and 15 year old booze, but their distillery didn't start operating until 2015.   So all of the farm to bottle booshwa might mean something someday but not much at the moment.  

Reminds me of the Templeton Rye folks.   Make up a story, get some whiskey from somewhere, advertise, sell at big price.  

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Always gotta be careful and ask the price, especially when it comes to fancy "craft" booze.  Some of that stuff is ridiculous.  

And whistle pig whiskey is "bottled on whistle pig farm"   but probably distilled in Indiana (nope, they got a deal on "blending whiskey" from Canada)  .  (and they didn't get that until sometime after 2007)

They are selling 10 and 15 year old booze, but their distillery didn't start operating until 2015.   So all of the farm to bottle booshwa might mean something someday but not much at the moment.  

Reminds me of the Templeton Rye folks.   Make up a story, get some whiskey from somewhere, advertise, sell at big price.  

Happens with lots of products, not just bourbon.

Here's my newest bottle. It's pretty good but nothing too special. I got it because it was on sale, not sure I would buy it again...

eligah craig.jpg

23 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Del,  I know your self appointed task is to poo poo everyone's posts on this forum. Through exhaustive internet "research" you are an exspurt on any subject imaginable. But one thing is more valuable than the hours you seemingly spend in front of your computer screen and that would be first hand experience. Have you ever tasted this rye whiskey or any other rye for that matter? Have you read the critical acclaims (by people who are much more knowledgeable than ten of either one of us)  of the product they are producing?

Sorry that I am so untrusting.   Yes, I have drank my share of several brands of Rye.    And I felt sort of ripped off by the Templeton folks with their stories about their whiskey, only to find out later they just bought it by the tank car or barrel from an industrial whiskey distiller in Indiana.  

If it tastes good to you and you have the big bucks, go for it.   At least you will do it with your eyes open as to what it is.  

Critical acclaims?   I take them with a grain of salt, like movie critics, wine guys, restaurant reviewers, and all that.  

I have read critics reviews of stuff I do know a lot about, and much of it is nonsense.   So I am skeptical about stories and claims and reviews.    What is your problem my pointing out that much of the romantic story about their product is worth thinking about the truthiness thereof?  

I thought the part about making their own barrels from the trees cut on the farm was especially poignant. 

BTW if you look at those bottles of fancy bourbon at the liquor store, note how many say "bottled by"  instead of "distilled and bottled by".    or "produced by".    

Sorry for raining on your parade.    Drink up.

39 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Sorry that I am so untrusting.   Yes, I have drank my share of several brands of Rye.    And I felt sort of ripped off by the Templeton folks with their stories about their whiskey, only to find out later they just bought it by the tank car or barrel from an industrial whiskey distiller in Indiana.  

If it tastes good to you and you have the big bucks, go for it.   At least you will do it with your eyes open as to what it is.  

Critical acclaims?   I take them with a grain of salt, like movie critics, wine guys, restaurant reviewers, and all that.  

I have read critics reviews of stuff I do know a lot about, and much of it is nonsense.   So I am skeptical about stories and claims and reviews.    What is your problem my pointing out that much of the romantic story about their product is worth thinking about the truthiness thereof?  

I thought the part about making their own barrels from the trees cut on the farm was especially poignant. 

BTW if you look at those bottles of fancy bourbon at the liquor store, note how many say "bottled by"  instead of "distilled and bottled by".    or "produced by".    

Sorry for raining on your parade.    Drink up.

The two examples you are referring to may have done just what you said but the idea was to get them started. Whistlepig now has their own distillery in Vermont and is producing their own rye whiskey. The problem is when you age your product for anywhere from 2-15 years, it takes a while to have product to sell and revenue coming in. I believe Templeton is about to open their own distillery in Iowa as well. 

I say, if you like it drink it.I'm not nearly as concerned about a whiskey producer's back story as I am the taste of the product.

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

The two examples you are referring to may have done just what you said but the idea was to get them started. Whistlepig now has their own distillery in Vermont and is producing their own rye whiskey. The problem is when you age your product for anywhere from 2-15 years, it takes a while to have product to sell and revenue coming in. I believe Templeton is about to open their own distillery in Iowa as well. 

I say, if you like it drink it.I'm not nearly as concerned about a whiskey producer's back story as I am the taste of the product.

I agree with you.   Just don't over pay for a colorful story.   

I am just a cynic when it comes to all that hype about beverages, going back to Bud and "beechwood aged" meaning they threw a few planks in the stainless steel tank of beer.

42 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I agree with you.   Just don't over pay for a colorful story.   

I am just a cynic when it comes to all that hype about beverages, going back to Bud and "beechwood aged" meaning they threw a few planks in the stainless steel tank of beer.

Simple solution....don't listen to the stories, just taste the product.

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

And look at the price tag.....

Yes, if you are on a fixed, government income then you should probably be aware and cautious. ;)

For those of us still working and making an income, buy what you want. It's your money.

42 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Yes, if you are on a fixed, government income then you should probably be aware and cautious. ;)

For those of us still working and making an income, buy what you want. It's your money.

And when you are old and broke cuz you spent all your money on frills, the government will pay for your nursing home.

I grew up with stories of the depression, so I'm not big on spending money on fanciful stories and prestigious looking labels.    If they are talking about the terroir of their booze, it's too rich for me.  Besides my taste buds got shot off in the war.... /sarc

Edited by delcecchi

I tried a glass of a buddy's Templeton Rye last night and was impressed. I'm not big of Rye's but this one was very smooth. I can't say I'd ever buy a bottle but someone else's booze is always up near the top of the list of my favorites. I still prefer the $15 Trader Joe's bourbon though. 

Wrong. I like other people's Templeton just fine.   It is their advertising I objected to.   After all, their booze came from the former Seagrams distillary of industrial scale in Indiana, as did a number of products that advertised and labeled in a manner that would lead one to think they were a "craft" type product.    

Clever marketing and not much else.    Read the bottle carefully.   See where it was distilled, not just where it was bottled.   

But if you want to pay inflated prices for industrial products, go ahead.   Personally, Evan Williams is acceptable to me and is sold at a reasonable price.   If you want fancy hooch, make sure you are actually getting fancy hooch.  

2 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Wrong. I like other people's Templeton just fine.   It is their advertising I objected to.   After all, their booze came from the former Seagrams distillary of industrial scale in Indiana, as did a number of products that advertised and labeled in a manner that would lead one to think they were a "craft" type product.    

Clever marketing and not much else.    Read the bottle carefully.   See where it was distilled, not just where it was bottled.   

But if you want to pay inflated prices for industrial products, go ahead.   Personally, Evan Williams is acceptable to me and is sold at a reasonable price.   If you want fancy hooch, make sure you are actually getting fancy hooch.  

Read my replies to this in the previous posts above. I'm not going to discuss this exact same topic again.

Evan Williams might be ok for the skid row drinker who is more into quantity than quality. I don't drink to excess anymore, when I have a drink I care more about how it tastes than I do about what it does to me. ;)

3 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I'm telling you we already did. Of course someone of your advanced age may not remember......:D

You said... "I'm not going to discuss it" and I agreed you don't need to. 

1 hour ago, roony said:

Evan Williams might be ok for the skid row drinker who is more into quantity than quality. I don't drink to excess anymore, when I have a drink I care more about how it tastes than I do about what it does to me

Sucker for the marketing folks.     I drink what I like.   And I don't like paying way too much for whiskey that tastes no better to me.  If you are one of those super taster snobs, more power to you.  

Edited by delcecchi