• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To float or not to float...

RebelSS

Wondering...do you prefer to slip-bobber/float fish for pannies, or straight line jig? Gotta admit, I love that thrill of seeing that tiny slip bobber go down...down.....then disappear. :)  I prefer the Thill tiny slip bobbers, used with a bead/knot tie, (I don't use the wood stop that comes with them) and also love the glow Venoms that are adjustable, anyone else do the same?

Thill.jpg

All depends on how the fish are biting. If they are biting fast and furious I wouldn't bother with a bobber. I love the feeling of a tight line and feeling a fish bite. I use bobbers when the fish seem to want a dead stick approach or if they aren't biting well anyway so I might as well mess with other things while the bobbers do the work. I will also use a bobber on my second line. I only use ice busters now for several years too.

34 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Real fisherman use spring bobbers!

Yep ;)

I haven't used a float in over 15 years.

Spring bobber or tip down for this guy.............also the combination of both.

I do have a pair of brand new dozen year old Ice Busters sitting in with my tackle though.

:)

And I love the Thills for open water.

Edited by Duffman

38 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

All depends on how the fish are biting. If they are biting fast and furious I wouldn't bother with a bobber. I love the feeling of a tight line and feeling a fish bite. I use bobbers when the fish seem to want a dead stick approach or if they aren't biting well anyway so I might as well mess with other things while the bobbers do the work. I will also use a bobber on my second line. I only use ice busters now for several years too.

When the bite is on, it's a naked line for me! When it's lunch time or just lean back and relax time, I'll switch to the bobber. Usually have 4 rods ready, each with a different set. I like to get up and go outside of the porty and walk around a bit, and then kick back for a bit when I'm back inside. 

The only reason I use a float is to let me know when I am close to the area where the fish are biting. Most times it never hits the water. I like the fact that it allows me to just barely twitch my jig which can make a big difference when they are in a negative mood. Most of the fish I catch are on the drop when they are feeding. 

I've had really good luck when they're finicky by just slowly dropping the jig 1/4" to 1" when I see the spring twitch. Then, when it twitches again or the line goes slightly slack, I set the hook. Works very well when they're just "sniffing" the jig.

BTW, the spring bobber I use is just a very thin wire. So thin, in fact, that about every dozen fish or so I have to bend it back to it's original shape. The only place I have found the kind I like is at Wayzata Bait. 

Edited by cavalierowner

I really like the one made by frabill.  Titanium. Just make sure you tape it on with thin strip of electrical tape.  did not know to do that on my first on and lost it down the hole.. LOL  came loose and my tiny jig didnt stop it. 

download (1).png

I put down a crappie minnow under a ice buster for my second line if I am fishing in a house. I never run two floats Always have my main rod with a spring bobber if the fish are biting on no movement I just set my jigging rod down and watch for it to twitch.