• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Proview ducer question

Jkelly1311

Question

I recently bought an flx28 with proview ducer. It was my understanding that the cone angle could be adjusted by the gain knob. My sporting goods dealer told me when I bought this unit that vexilar did away with that and now it's a set 20 degree cone up until 30 feet then it switches automatically to 10 degrees for anything after 30 feet. 

Can anyone expand on this? Is this true? Not much for anything out there to read. Or at least I can't find it if there is. 

7 answers to this question

Yup. it's true. Cone angle is not "adjustable" by your gain switch. In a nutshell, transducer's usually have pre-set angle determination. The two main characteristics of a sonar beam are its frequency, and its “cone angle”. The frequency of a sonar beam reflects the number of pulses that leave the transducer during a certain time interval (usually about one second). A lot of sonar units operate with so-called “dual-beam” sonar, meaning that the transducer transmits two sonar beams with frequencies of between 200 kHz and 83 kHz. A frequency of 200 kHz means that 200,000 sonar pulses are produced (and listened for) by the transducer every second....hope that helps.  :)

53 minutes ago, Jkelly1311 said:

I recently bought an flx28 with proview ducer. It was my understanding that the cone angle could be adjusted by the gain knob. My sporting goods dealer told me when I bought this unit that vexilar did away with that and now it's a set 20 degree cone up until 30 feet then it switches automatically to 10 degrees for anything after 30 feet. 

Can anyone expand on this? Is this true? Not much for anything out there to read. Or at least I can't find it if there is. 

I would email Vexilar on that question.  I have not seen anything from them regarding any changes of the Proview ducer and how it works functionally. 

I also just purchased a flx28 prior to the season, also own a marcum lx5 and a humminbird ice 55.  My complaint was that even on low power mode and the lowest gain setting my jig was a huge blob at anything under 15 fow.  I called vex inquiring if all of the flx28 features would still work if I installed an s cable.  I specifically remember the rep saying, "well have you ever used a 9 degree transducer  and a 10 foot scale?" This was just last week, so I'm assuming no changes to the proview have occurred??

On a side note, against the reps recommendations ("you don't need the s cable, the unit functions great without it" :crazy:) I did install the s cable and it has totally transformed the unit.  I can turn down gain to get my jig to a fine line, can mark crappie jigs just fine 45 feet down, and all the features of the unit still work great!!

Kind of off topic but I recently got a fl12. Having problems seeing the jig even with the gain all the way up. Works great until about 20fow and the jig turns into a in and out flicker. Switched transducers and still the same. Any advice??

11 hours ago, 556LaGue said:

Kind of off topic but I recently got a fl12. Having problems seeing the jig even with the gain all the way up. Works great until about 20fow and the jig turns into a in and out flicker. Switched transducers and still the same. Any advice??

Same on all lakes and all holes?  Just ruling out any current or boulders.   If you ruled out the transducer, then next would be to rule out the battery.

12 hours ago, BartmanMN said:

Same on all lakes and all holes?  Just ruling out any current or boulders.   If you ruled out the transducer, then next would be to rule out the battery.

Also try different jigs. Some have different profiles that show up better on flasher.

Edited by magicstix

I've had it on a few different lakes and still the same result. I'm a tungsten jig type of person, thought those showed up better on the vex?? Bigger profile jigs show up better than small. Any type of jig is a in-out flicker. Been on some finiky fish lately,  used some very small jigs and they barely show up. I'll try the battery next! Thanks guys