• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Holders for Perm houses

kudu63

Want to install some rod holders in my permanent house - looking for what others are using.  Thinking about the ones that hold up to 6 rods but they are over 12" in length and the wall I want to put them on has about 10".   Other option was thinking about making my own out of 1-1/2" PVC.   Seem some that hang from the ceiling - not sure I want that or not.  

Any pics would be helpful.

Thanks,

On my last build I did holders on the underside of my bunk.  For the longer (28"+) rods it worked fine.  Over time, my shorter rods ended up bouncing out going across lakes, and I probably broke 5-6 of them.  I think the vertical orientation works better for different lengths.

You may have seen it, but I used spring loaded "broom holders" on my new build.

B49705FB-A6C1-4ED5-ABC6-3056436E7E45_zps 

Mine is pretty simple,  depending on how many rods, get yourself 2 pieces of pine 1x4, again length depends on how many rods.  Drill 1.5 inch holes threw each piece lets say six times if you have six rods.  Mount them on your wall about 20 inches apart.  about a 2 dollar rod holder

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

It's going to be hard to hold 6 rods in 10 inches isn't it? I know my cheapies from Fleet get pretty crowded, it's the reel handles that take the space.  

right - thinking I will only get 4 rods in that area.   Might have to make another one that I can put on the wall in the bathroom.  Most likely will make them out of wood or 1-1/4" PVC.   Will only be used when on the ice - not while driving to/from lakes.

16 hours ago, blue_healer_guy said:

Mine is pretty simple,  depending on how many rods, get yourself 2 pieces of pine 1x4, again length depends on how many rods.  Drill 1.5 inch holes threw each piece lets say six times if you have six rods.  Mount them on your wall about 20 inches apart.  about a 2 dollar rod holder

Did similar build. 1” PVC pipe X 1” long secured to a 1.5” wood strip every 5” for handle end. Tip end small U shape holder from 1.25” X 1” wood block and 1/8 piece nailed to 1.5” wall mount strip. Filled gap with 1.25” X 1.25” Foam Air Conditioner Weather strip. Cut a small V in top of Weather Strip and single cut about ¾ down. Built two, one in front one in back holding 12 rods. Rods never bounce out during transport on road or rough ice.

Extra PVC made some on-ice rod holders work well in house or on ice in Hub. Cross bar folds for compact storage.

Rod Holders (800x613).jpg

Did mine vertical, that way the reel handle isnt so much a problem, can fit more just by rotating the handle.  my holes are only 2 inches apart.  Love the rod holder pics papadarv.  gonna make a couple.

Just seen you have only 10" to work with.  Yeah thats only room for about 4.

20 hours ago, papadarv said:

Did similar build. 1” PVC pipe X 1” long secured to a 1.5” wood strip every 5” for handle end. Tip end small U shape holder from 1.25” X 1” wood block and 1/8 piece nailed to 1.5” wall mount strip. Filled gap with 1.25” X 1.25” Foam Air Conditioner Weather strip. Cut a small V in top of Weather Strip and single cut about ¾ down. Built two, one in front one in back holding 12 rods. Rods never bounce out during transport on road or rough ice.

Extra PVC made some on-ice rod holders work well in house or on ice in Hub. Cross bar folds for compact storage.

Rod Holders (800x613).jpg

I like this setup.  What if you flipped everyone other (PVC end to tip end) rod end for end.  Would you be able to cut that space way down?   Was thinking that the 2nd rod - the tip end could actually go thru or near the reel end on the top rod ?  Maybe between the rod handle and the reel.  You might just need a little wider board to mount the two opposing holders that close together.

6 hours ago, kudu63 said:

I like this setup.  What if you flipped everyone other (PVC end to tip end) rod end for end.  Would you be able to cut that space way down?   Was thinking that the 2nd rod - the tip end could actually go thru or near the reel end on the top rod ?  Maybe between the rod handle and the reel.  You might just need a little wider board to mount the two opposing holders that close together.

You might gain an inch between rods saving 5 inches total. My rods stay in the holder at all times. Made sure there was no way the rods would ever make contact with each other while bounding down the road or on rough ice. Switching end every other rod end and squeezing space will put the reel next to or on the adjacent rod tip. With minor wiggle room on handle end, there is a chance larger reels will bump the adjacent rod tip causing a weak spot in the rod with closer spacing. I set the spacing based on the longest distance from handle top to bottom of reel.

I also have all 12 rods rigged (6 in front, 6 in back) with jigs, hook, slip bobber or any other variety of rigging for the trip. Packing rods closer together provides and opportunity to tangle hooks, jigs, etc. If the line is not in the water, you won't catch fish. This holder setup makes for very quick rig exchange. The $1 bill on the holder reminds one to keep line in the water. "If you want goats milk, you need to put the hay down where the goats can get at it - so to speak"