• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Up Line-Why Can't They Get it Right?

Hawg

If you use the vinyl kind it coils horribly and if you use the braided types your trebles get stuck in it. I'm not smart enough to do it but I wish some company could figure it out.  

Best thing I've found is backing for fly line.  It has no memory and virtually no knots.  It's better situated for rattle wheels because of the physical size of the backing but I've not had any problems yet with my Frabil tip-ups.  Deepest water we fish in is only 30' with normal depth of around 12'.  Our local Runnings sells 50 yard segments for like $3 each in any color. 

1 hour ago, YettiStyle said:

Best thing I've found is backing for fly line.  It has no memory and virtually no knots. 

Does it freeze up real bad?  It looks like it would soak up water and freeze real quick like that braided tip up line does.

The idea of that PVC line seems great, it doesn't soak up water and remains flexible, plus the thicker diameter is easy to work with.  But the memory in that line is horrendous.  My fly lines are similar material and don't have memory issues like that, it could easily be done.

I've thought about how a sort of a weight backward fly line would be awesome tip up line.  Make it thick and easy to handle then taper it down the last 6 feet or so

15 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

Does it freeze up real bad?  It looks like it would soak up water and freeze real quick like that braided tip up line does.

The idea of that PVC line seems great, it doesn't soak up water and remains flexible, plus the thicker diameter is easy to work with.  But the memory in that line is horrendous.  My fly lines are similar material and don't have memory issues like that, it could easily be done.

I've thought about how a sort of a weight backward fly line would be awesome tip up line.  Make it thick and easy to handle then taper it down the last 6 feet or so

Excuse me, I meant fly fishing line, not backing.  I use a level taper (uniform diameter throughout entire line length).  I don't know what the coating is but it is fairly intermediate sinking rate.  Just don't get floating line. 

I've used the cheap vinyl fly line too but always get the coil effect unless you weight it fairly heavily.That can make you a lot further off the bottom than you think when you use the weight to set them. It coil even changes the depth if you set them with a flasher. I tried the new Suffix tip up line, they have braided and vinyl, and the vinyl was limper than my usual stuff but the braided was a real hook magnet. It's so thin if you break a strand or two you've lost 1/2 your strength it would seem.

Is this all we have to think about? Come on Ice! 

Edited by Hawg