• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cure ?

Just realized that I had a brain fert on the canadian bacon I made. brined it for 10 days in pops brine recipe but I forgot to put a T of the cure in. I have already eaten about a 3 inch chunk. The rest has been in the freezer for a week. Is it a big gamble to eat it?? 

Just curious - how was the taste and the texture?  I assume it was more gray than pink?  Did it taste the same otherwise?? Cooking to the right temp should kill the bad guys, but Iearned that you don't taste the bad guys.  The bacteria that lead to spoilage likely won't make you sick but those are the ones that make the food taste rancid or give it an off texture.  I would think that your finished product would taste a little weird. But hey, they dry and wet age beef for weeks and that's supposed to make it better.  So who knows.

I personally would not eat it, but that's just me.

You are cooking it before you eat it right? I've only heard people using Cure when using dehydrators or may be for jerky when using burger. I have never used the stuff but don't like or make dehydrated jerky.

Seem to still be alive! :lol:

184405201.jpg

Edited by leech~~

took up to 153 in smoker.  I like it cold and fried. Have only eaten it cold so far from this one. 

Found  this on a brining site.

If you don’t have or don’t want to use curing salt containing sodium nitrite, you can brine meats without it. Without curing salt that contains sodium nitrite, the color of the cured meat will be gray rather than pink and the flavor is less sweet with a more pronounced “pickle” flavor. It turns out more like seasoned roast meat, than a cured meat.

It's nice and pink just like the others I have done, maybe the pickling salt somewhat cured it. who knows

21 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

took up to 153 in smoker.  I like it cold and fried. Have only eaten it cold so far from this one. 

Found  this on a brining site.

If you don’t have or don’t want to use curing salt containing sodium nitrite, you can brine meats without it. Without curing salt that contains sodium nitrite, the color of the cured meat will be gray rather than pink and the flavor is less sweet with a more pronounced “pickle” flavor. It turns out more like seasoned roast meat, than a cured meat.

It's nice and pink just like the others I have done, maybe the pickling salt somewhat cured it. who knows

Ok I'll save you from dying. Where can i pick it up?  :)