• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane hatch??

Moon Lake Refuge

So I see posts on the for sale pages on FB of some pretty rough looking shacks.  One guy yesterday was selling an 8 foot house(frame was 8 foot) with the wheels extending out past the house.  I thought houses needed to be under 8'6 and I wonder if any buyers will be told that.  Beside the point.  The propane tanks were mounted on the outside of the wall right next to the furnace.  In the wall he has a hinged door for access to an enclosed propane storage area that he also uses as a freezer...  Would you ever consider this?  Seems like it could open up a world of issues with propane leaking into the house.

Federal Regulations (CFR), 23 CFR Part 658 states maximum width (excluding mirrors) at 102.36" or 8.53 ft. except in Hawaii where width is 108" but I don't think anyone needs a wheel house in Hawaii. If the body is 8' the wheels need to be under the body. 6'6" is about max you can go with the wheels extending past the frame. Described propane is scary, and I would not even consider parking my rig within 100 yards of him.

Up till 6-8 years ago nobody cared. Most old 8 footers converted to wheel houses had wheels sticking out, including me, but we went to the lake and dropped them. Law Enforcement could have cared less, now we run them all over so they care now.