• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding a center point to an Ion

Hawg

There isn't much room for a nut. My concern would be the leading edge of the blades could get messed up. The X has a weird point that may be the way it is because of the potential problem. 

It appears the ION auger has enough steel and space to add a point. Also from photos looks like there already a hole drilled into the center of the blade mounting bracket. I don't have an ION but I did add a point to my Vintage Mora where I converted my 6" and 8"  for my Clam Plate and in the process of adding an adapter for my Eskimo Mako. I drilled and tapped the auger blade mounting bracket to 3/8-20 tap (anything smaller the tap will break due to steel hardness).

I cut the point out of a Wood Spade drill bit, cut a slot in a 3/8-20 bolt and welded the cut blade to the bolt. While very hot from welding drop the welded point in oil to fast cool and recover some of the lost hardness from welding heat. Sharpen the point to the same angle as the bit point.

20161128_062233 (700x394).jpg

Screwed the bolt into the blade bracket tapped hole with a lock washer at the base. You may need to add other washers to obtain the point position to the space between the blades.

20161128_060055 (700x394).jpg

Extra washer on my 6" to get the point centered between the blades. This point was made with a 1" wood drill bit. The 5/8" bit top picture on my 8". Found both points work equally well.

20161128_060403 (700x394).jpg

Because it is a Mora hand auger, I modified the blade with ice relief cuts and put a .015 shim on the leading edge of the blade to increase the cut angle. Hand augers have a more shallow bite compared to my Eskimo Mako due to the force it takes to turn the hand auger. Skip adding a shim to your ION.

AUG2 (281x500).jpg

Ended with amazing results in no blade walking and increased drill speed through the ice.

John (Great guy) at Ardisen says the last years Ion drill is not conducive to adding a point. The blade spacing is too critical for top performance. Their new drill for $150 seems a better deal than adding a K drill or mickey mousing someone else's on if I need to do it that way. He claims the new drill is an improvement. They have always been pretty straight with their info and help so I believe him. Darn, another decision!

John (Great guy) at Ardisen says the last years Ion drill is not conducive to adding a point. The blade spacing is too critical for top performance. Their new drill for $150 seems a better deal than adding a K drill or mickey mousing someone else's on if I need to do it that way. He claims the new drill is an improvement. They have always been pretty straight with their info and help so I believe him. Darn, another decision!

Just checked e b a y  and saw the drills. If you do the best price thing on Reed's you get it for $132.99 +tx but not sure if that includes shipping because I ordered it on e b a y  before I checked at $139 & tax before I knew it was Reeds. $159 + tax and $13.00 shipping on Ion's site.

Edited by Hawg

I don't usually do this but after I thought about it I thought I would email Reed's e b a y store and ask if they would match the $132 price on their s i t e. $7 isn't a big deal but I've bought a ton of stuff from them and they are known for customer service so what the heck, I tried. I thought it was a dumb thing to write back-Here's the response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Our e B ay store does not price match with other stores, including our own. Have a great night!

Thank You,
Huntn and Fishn 
REEDS SPORTING GOODS