• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

L13 hydro John Deere slow in forward

x1957x

My L130 hydro rider mower  is starting to move slow like its got a brake on. It still goes forward and backwards just slower than normal. Can it be low on fluid in the rearend etc.? What does it use for grease also?

I believe that model has the k46 hyrdo tranny it is not serviceable and is a sealed unit. Even if you were able to drop it out (huge PIA) and drill into it and change fluid. it "might" and that is a big might fix the issue. Its likely that hyrdo tranny is already shot. But I have heard mixed results when changing the fluid.

Your options are to upgrade to say a k66 hydro tranny which is serviceable if you can find one used or buy the kit online

I would just get a new mower and part this one out if its still running well. After what its going to cost to fix the L130 it just isnt worth it in my opinion. And it is unlikely a fluid change is going to get you what you want.

Unless you have a bunch of attachments for it, like a snow blower etc then I would maybe keep it. How big of yard do you have? Any hills etc?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this it what happens when you buy the big box store models and not one from an implement that is serviceable. I ended up in the same scenario as you a few years ago, same tranny just a different model deere, lesson learned

Not sure if the k46 has changed at all but depending on your know how, there are plenty of people out there who have cracked it open and rebuilt it with great results.  Another options is to watch online garage sale sites for someone who blew an engine and is parting out to pick up the rear end off there's.  I went through a lot of rebuilding on my last mower but it was very old and ultimately had to let it die.  Really depends on how much time and money you want to spend and what condition the rest of the mower is in.

59 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Well, I bought a L110 from a local implement guy, Podeins in Stewartville, which I am pretty sure is exactly the same unit sold at Home Depot.  

I talked to a couple dealers back when I was looking and they said they get the exact same equipment by model as the box stores.  They just don't always buy as much and tend to carry a bigger variety of the higher end mowers.  But it does sound like if its the same model, they are the same at a dealer or a box store.  The big stores just get a better deal because they buy them in bulk for all of their stores across the country.

Thanks to all. I have all the options for this rider. 48" blower and bagger system. I would like to put a tranny in it. I found a new one at a very good price.. Its a Tough Tork K66 model,,, ( PN. 7A632084621 ). I cant find the info to be sure if this will work on my L130 Jon Deere for sure before I purchase it. Will i need to do any modifications to my rider or is it a swap me out thing? Or should I see about staying with the tough Tork K46.

On 11/23/2016 at 8:00 AM, rundrave said:

I believe that model has the k46 hyrdo tranny it is not serviceable and is a sealed unit. Even if you were able to drop it out (huge PIA) and drill into it and change fluid. it "might" and that is a big might fix the issue. Its likely that hyrdo tranny is already shot. But I have heard mixed results when changing the fluid.

Your options are to upgrade to say a k66 hydro tranny which is serviceable if you can find one used or buy the kit online

I would just get a new mower and part this one out if its still running well. After what its going to cost to fix the L130 it just isnt worth it in my opinion. And it is unlikely a fluid change is going to get you what you want.

Unless you have a bunch of attachments for it, like a snow blower etc then I would maybe keep it. How big of yard do you have? Any hills etc?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this it what happens when you buy the big box store models and not one from an implement that is serviceable. I ended up in the same scenario as you a few years ago, same tranny just a different model deere, lesson learned

If I changed my k46 hydro trans and put in the k66y hydro trans would I need a conversion kit to install the k66? I see some riders do need a kit and I have the L130 deere. Hoping someone knows. The new trany is a Tuff Torq 7A63284621  /  sn/66Y-0047596   and //    HOP    PN   426118     Thanks again to all.

I had a similar problem a few years back.  I found out that the tractor I bought was only marginally able to handle the load from a snowblower.  It didn't take long for the whole thing to crump out.  It was a Simplicity and was fairly new.  You may want to check and see if your unit can handle the snowblower, and whether a new transmission is going to work in the long run.  The economics didn't work out for me and so I sold it for parts.