• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be careful

paceman

Just a friendly reminder. With all this freezing rain, eventually turning to snow, the deer stands, both permanent and portables will be covered in ice and be dangerously slippery. Be very careful, were your safety vests! Hook up! This fall I installed safety lines on all my hang ons and I am really glad I did! I know plenty of guys that don't were safety vests. Don't be that guy....

I have a few safety harnesses but admit I have never even thought of using them.  hope that isn't what gets me in the end of things!  Might have to look into them for the future especially introducing my oldest child next year at 9 years old

Before kids I never wore a harness now I never climb a tree without one.  I do need to get a life line for my ladder stands so I can stay tied in the entire time while climbing though.  The first year I hunted after my daughter was born I didn't think about the harness until opening morning when I found the crappy one that came with my climbing stand laying in my hunting gear box.  I looked at it and dismissed it at first but then decided I had to wear it.  Suffered through that year with that crappy harness that was a pain to get on and didn't fit real well.  I upgraded before the next season to a harness thats comfortable and has easy straps with an easy snaps around the legs.  I don't even realize I have it on any more and have come dang close to needing it on one occasion but luckily caught myself before disaster.

My daughter who is now 3 has walked out into the woods with me and climbed into my ladder stand once already this season.  Going to need to get her fit for a tiny harness soon :).  So far I've kept her on the ground in a ground blind when she has sat with me for a short hunt.  Shortest and loudest hunt of my life but she loved it.

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

I found the crappy one that came with my climbing stand laying in my hunting gear box.  I looked at it and dismissed it at first but then decided I had to wear it.  Suffered through that year with that crappy harness that was a pain to get on and didn't fit real well.  I upgraded before the next season to a harness thats comfortable and has easy straps with an easy snaps around the legs. 

+1

I bought a decent one rather than the cheapo that came with my stand it's a world of difference.  Can't even tell it's on.

I watch all the hunting shows and see them wearing harnesses but honestly I have no clue how I would ever need it...I check my ladder stands every time I climb them to make sure they are still sound and sturdy and it would be almost impossible to fall out of my climber stand.  I am looking into one for next year but at the same time I can't ever picture it being needed

16 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I watch all the hunting shows and see them wearing harnesses but honestly I have no clue how I would ever need it...I check my ladder stands every time I climb them to make sure they are still sound and sturdy and it would be almost impossible to fall out of my climber stand.  I am looking into one for next year but at the same time I can't ever picture it being needed

You likely never see a need until after you fall.  

For instance I thought my climber was pretty fool proof until I was sitting in it last year at about 6am waiting for first light.  I was sort of dozing off when the buckle holding my seat in place broke free and my seat drops out from under me.  I just barely caught myself to keep me in my stand but I could have just as easily fallen off.  

Another way to look at it is that you’re trusting your life to welds done as cheaply and as quickly as possible. It may not be that you make a mistake and slip, it could be something totally out of your control like a weld failing, or a strap failing.  A

I am in insurance industry and I guess it falls in the line I always tell my insureds..."that is fine if you don't want that coverage, just call me prior to having an accident or (for life ins) the day before you die and we will get a policy set up for you!"  Accidents and death are unpredictable and one should always protect against them as much as possible!  Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!

Two years ago I left my stand in the woods with the intention of hunting the next morning.  We got about 5" of snow overnight.  It was the heavy wet stuff that froze overnight so it was slippery.  When I got to the top of my steps and went to step over to my stand, my foot slipped.  I was bear hugging the tree so I didn't fall, but my left shin, just under my knee, slammed into the top step of my Lone Wolf stick.  It immediately swelled up and started bleeding.  It was sore as hell for a couple weeks after and I was darn lucky I was bear hugging the tree.  Had I not been, it could have been a disaster.  So yes, try to be very careful!

To finish the story, about 3 weeks after the incident at hockey practice, one of my players shot a puck in my direction and hit me absolutely directly on that injury on my shin.  I just about pooped and peed myself in pain.  LOL!

I suggest to all to wear one!

My close call came while I was drawing back,  my release broke, resulting in me giving a good right jab to my face, staggering me back into the tree I was in.  If I had been shooting to the side, I probably would have stepped off of the stand and fell.  Lots of things can happen when you are standing on 20 x  24 platform that is attached by a strap of sort using equipment that can possibly fail. Taking more precautions is not a bad thing.