• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grouse Reports

Of the birds I have shot myself (over a dozen) almost all have been brown phase birds. I have only seen maybe 4-5 grey phase birds all year long, including birds I have flushed and birds I have shot. Have seen a fair amount of young/juvenile birds, but not as many as usual.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd that the small geographical change can make that much difference. Warmer climates are how the browns and reds are produced. I've only shot one red in my life, and I think I only shoot maybe 3-5 brown phased birds a year. Oddly enough, I think they are all from the Aitkin / Brainerd / Mille Lacs / Crosby area.

Interesting, same thing for me. We grouse hunt around 3 major areas; Mora, Cloquet and the North Shore. The only place i've ever shot a brown is in Mora. They're almost always brown there. I have always wondered why. Thanks for the explination.

Joel

This may sound comletely ridiculous, but I ALWAYS find brown phase birds in areas that have some sort of conifers/pine trees, regardless of which region I am hunting. I cannot remember the last time I saw or shot a grey phase bird around pines.

All of the spots I hunt are somewhat coniferous, for the most part when the leaves fall grouse roost soley in the pines. It's all based on climate to my knowledge. That's why a lot of juvenile birds are brown the first year, they haven't experienced cool temps.

The theory you present seems legitimate...I am not disupting what you say, but can you possibly shed some light on what temps/climate have to do with feather color? It's a pretty tough question...maybe not even answerable, it just would be interesting to know. You know...just another useless fact to drop on the buddies up at the hunting shack.

I know it's legitimate, but I can't prove it other than through literature, I can only validly confirm the red phase, in New York, Maine, states of that nature, the birds are roughly something like 80% red phase, and the rest are nearly all brown. It's warmer there. Here, we have more grey phased birds, but I don't understand why the birds near the middle of the state are brown phased for the most part. In conclusion, I have no clue why, and I think it's extremely interesting!! We should compile information, do you keep log books? I would love to match ours up. I keep color, sex, and date / autumn status, and location.

Unfortunately, I have not kept a log book, but it is something that I am going to start doing. I seems like a really great way to track your success, or at times, lack of success. It also would be a great way to re-live hunts and other related experiences.

I went out near Itasca Tues and Weds. and got into some birds that have not seen much pressure. Tuesday was the perfect day and makes me wish deer hunting was not around the corner.(Sorry Deer Hunters)

I was glad to see the woodcock have past thru and my dog can concentrate back on my favorite meal.

The Upland Journal HSOforum used to have a Grouse and woodcock survey that was put together well. It allowed you to record the following:

Date

# of Hunters

# of hours hunted

# of birds moved

# of productive points(or flushes)

# of birds shot at ( Grouse and woodcock)

# of shells fired

# of birds taken

I have kept track the last three years and find it useful.

Hunting 15 days ( 37 hunting hours) we have had over 75 productive points on grouse and over 125 on woodcock. This is well below the numbers of the past 2 years.

Taking kids and a young setter out and watching them work woodcock is very entertaining and hard on the shell inventory. This year the swamp bats seemed plentiful during migration.

Wind permitting, I'd like to get out Friday.

" Be careful what you say about a man's wife or kids, but be [commercial-or-naughty-word] careful what you say adout his bird dog".

went out grouse hunting by myself the day before deer hunting (Nov 1st). Was waiting for my deer hunting party to come up from the metro, and they were running late so I walked a forrest near Walker. Hunted for 30 min without a dog and got 3 grouse! They were sticking to the edge of the trails in the later afternoon. I was hunting young, thick poppel. Was my most sucessful hunt ever! 3 birds- 30 min. Wow!

Congrats fishlakeman! Midday is when I hit most of my birds near the trails. They like to sun in the afternoon I've found, and make for easy targets!

I got three during deer hunting going to and from the house to the stand. Two of which were headed to red phase, with this warm Fall we should see many red phased birds this winter!!

The forecast for the 17th. sounded to good to be true so I took the day off to find the birds that were seen while driving deer. There was absolutely no wind and we put up around 14 birds. Even with poor shooting I managed to bag 3.

Friday may be a good day also.