• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening Weekend Official Results

DNR released opening weekend results.  The harvest in the 100 series was up to 10%, the only area that was up..  Statewide is down 7% compared to last year.  Going to need a big second weekend to beat last years harvest, even with the additional doe tags this year.

My two cents, but I just don't get behind the "it's too warm...deer aren't moving" school of thought. Last year I took my biggest ever buck on a 57 degree day. This year our party did great in 60 degree heat. Others I talked to had "up" weekends, too, and reported rutting bucks, as did we. If the bucks are rutting, they are moving. When they've got "that thing" on their brain, I don't think they much care if it's 50 above or 50 below. Again, just my opinion, and maybe others have better evidence to the contrary, but I just haven't seen it.

Talked to a guy down the block.  He was trying to find the keys for his truck on Sunday.  Their group had gotten 4 on saturday and 3 on sunday.   Near Rochester (simpson).   I don't know how many guys there were.   They were going to somewhere else, near Oronoco sunday afternoon.  

Seem to be a lot of deer around here in the SE. 

Interesting that the harvest is down.  We saw substantially more deer this year than we've seen in any of the last 10.  Probably more than any combined 3 year period.  

What one party sees is not what the whole state saw. Lots of input factors come into play for every area. The guy a mile down the road might not have seen a deer.

I didn't see a single deer from my stand all weekend and only about 3 all weekend during drives. This is the lowest total I have seen since the blizzard of 91. There are tons of deer around here but they are in the corn and will be until it is gone or the low ground freezes. 

Still had a great weekend.