• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spare Tire exercise

Ron Vroom

Question

Today (first day of standard time) reminded me to exercise my spare tire. A year ago I bought a 2003 Suburban which was my first with a spare tire underneath. After listening to a friend's horror story about getting a flat in Canada on a fishing trip and being unable to lower his spare, I decided I should check mine out and sure enough, it would not lower. After some internet research about this common problem, I was able to release the safety catch and lower the tire in the convenience of my driveway without an emergency, it was not all that easy. The catch was very corroded with rust. I cleaned it up with muriatic acid and then soaked it in transmission fluid. So today, a year later, the tire lowered fine and the catch looked good, so I soaked it for 5 minutes or so in transmission fluid and cranked her back. Also checked the tire pressure. I am sure power steering oil or any other lubricant would do as well. Just a happened I had of transmission oil hand. So my advice to anyone with a spare underneath, is to exercise it at least once a year. Spares are frequently neglected until you need them.

5 answers to this question

I did  my 98 k1500 a year or two ago in the driveway, just to be safe. It all lowered just fine and I lubed it and put it back. Same thing on my 05 Trailblazer. At least I know they will function, and also learned a bit about how the TB "turning pole" needs to be inserted, it is kinda picky on how to assemble it, which might be confusing in the dark for the first time...

Great information...I had the spare tire rust completely and fell off as I was leaving my parking lot at my office...unfortunately I saw it happen and watch some lady drive from a couple blocks away and ran it over!!  I couldn't believe she hit it.  Lesson learned to check the spare especially if it rides under the truck