• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse battery circuit breaker/ # of batteries

Cooperman

Is one deep cycle battery enough if you have a power converter/charger? Also, I know it depends on the AWG of the battery cables, but I was thinking of installing a 40 or 50 amp circuit breaker at the battery positive cable. What do the factory built house usually come with? My converter/charger is a 30 amp, but that is the rating of the output.

Thanks All

Depends on what you want to run and for how long.  Can the convertor function with one battery?  Definitely.  Can you run a furnace, radio and lights all weekend without charging?  Not likely.  I have a 30 amp breaker on my converter because I will never be hooking up more than 30 amp service.  if your convertor only has a 30 amp output I would think your main breaker should be a 30 amp.

Back to the battery... If you are running a genny or permanent shore power your convertor should actually function without any batteries hooked up at all.  Mine does.

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

WFCO ultra 3

model WF-8735P

the manual I have says nothing about protecting the D.C. Input, the 10 awg red wire that needs to be connected to the battery positive. Do I Need to protect this wire with a 30 amp circuit breaker at the battery?

Thanks MLR, and Yetti for your help.

I'll be running one just because we plan to run a genny most of the time and why waste the money on a second battery at that point.  Lot of guys run two 12's or two 6v golf cart batteries though so they can go longer without using the genny.  Its kind of personal preference.  If you are running a generator, I would say take it out for a couple weekends with one battery and see if that gets you a long enough duration without the generator.  If not go get a second.  Big things to remember, every house has different wiring, fixtures, heaters etc. so one may run longer than another.  One more thing to consider though is make sure you have a battery gauge wired in because you don't want to run the battery below 50% if you can help it.

one thing to remeber ia make sure ur battery is fulley charged before leave for an extended period of time. ive went thru 2 batteries cause the on board charger in mine was only a 2 amp  charger, it couldnt keep up, i left, battery frooze at current charged level which wasless than half, and couldnt recover. i now have a 6 amp batterie tender hooked up to keep it fully charged.