• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cell phones in the stand

MCI

I am excited and I will be sharing that excitement opening morning when I am texting my friends that are hunting all around the state and getting updates from their hunts!  Good Luck to all and hopefully your not texting so much you let that trophy sneak by you!!!  Haha

Not without a warrant they can't. 

Are you sure about that? Once the signal is broadcast, I'm not certain the signal is private property.

And I do question the ethics of someone that utilizes radios/cell phones to share the movement of deer with others in the party just as I question the ethics of someone using bait to "hunt."

37 minutes ago, BobT said:

Are you sure about that? Once the signal is broadcast, I'm not certain the signal is private property.

And I do question the ethics of someone that utilizes radios/cell phones to share the movement of deer with others in the party just as I question the ethics of someone using bait to "hunt."

Yes I am. Unless somewhere along the lines, we all signed away our civil liberties somewhere.

Really a non-issue..........like stated earlier........"Let's just hunt!"

1 hour ago, BobT said:

Not only very sure they cant do this.  Also positive that the DNR isn't forking out the money to send each officer out with the equipment or training needed to do this even if they could.

Can I get a handbook on "what a hunter is" and also can I get the follow up handbook on "hunting ethics"?  I can't find mine...;)  Again I hope you all have success this weekend and thanks for the back and forth on this matter as it helps to pass the time till end of work week on Friday.  Good Luck to all!!

2 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

1 hour 18 minutes until vacation starts

16 hours 13 minutes until legal shooting hours (I'm bow hunting tomorrow)

Don't worry I'll bring my phone and text you all updates tomorrow.

Could you!  I need more to get me excited!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:17 PM, certified jumbo said:

Why is it not sounding like hunters are ethical to you Bob T?  I highly doubt there are many hunters out in the woods who have little informants sending them test messages that an 8 point is sneaking up the back ridge.  Get ready.  I like wanderer quote, "lets all focus on the hunt".  

Well, cell phones certainly didn't aid in harvesting any deer for me and my two boys. Our conversations (texts) go a lot like this: my 15 YO: "Do we have Wolverines in MN?" Me: "Possibly, but I don't believe there are very many or documented sightings anymore" 15 YO: "Well, I think I just saw one, or a small wolf. Freaked me out." Me: "I doubt it was a Wolverine. You will be fine. It was probably something like a grey fox or similar, it is still kinda dark hard to tell exactly what you are seeing" 45 minutes later... Me: we just saw your "wolverine". Its a Fisher". 15 YO: "Do they look like a Wolverine?" Me: "google it" 15 YO: "yeah, that is it! Doesn't look very ferocious"

It is quite entertaining. Those are the types of texts we do or the ones where he begs to shoot all the squirrels around him so they don't bother him anymore.

5 minutes ago, CaptainMusky said:

or the ones where he begs to shoot all the squirrels around him so they don't bother him anymore.

My buddies and text and joke about shooting the squirrels every year.  Also wanted to shoot a woodpecker one year that decided to peck at my tree all afternoon.  

Text to my wife after my phone rings loud and proud: What's up? Please text. I have two deer in front of me.

Wife: Have you heard from your daughter?

Me: No, I think she's planning on sitting all day.

Wife: I thought you were fishing

Me: I was but now I'm hunting a spot I saw while I was fishing.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Text to my wife after my phone rings loud and proud: What's up? Please text. I have two deer in front of me.

Wife: Have you heard from your daughter?

Me: No, I think she's planning on sitting all day.

Wife: I thought you were fishing

Me: I was but now I'm hunting a spot I saw while I was fishing.

Me: Hey I was thinking about going hunting this weekend up north.

Wife: No

And now I'm not worried about the legality of cell phones in the stand.

Edited by bobbymalone

So just before I shot my buck last night I was in a texting frenzy with a couple buddies working out a fantasy football trade!! haha  After I shot the deer I had to tell them the trade talk would have to be put on hold for a day or so!  My texts on stand are usaully to my buddies that are also out hunting or hunters trying to keep my sanity while on stand waiting for "The deer" to show up.  Seems we are like a support group always biotching to each other about something messing up our hunts.  Wolves, dogs, neighbors, changing landscapes (chopped corn field getting chisel plowed) or what ever the case maybe.  I know I would have not spent so many hours the last 3 years on stand waiting for the right deer to present itself with out texting!  haha sad maybe, but just being honest.   Good Luck to all on the rest of your season!!!

I don't rely on my locator to find fish but to look at depth and bottom makeup. The area viewed is so minuscule it doesn't provide a realistic view of what is really down there anyway or if something is identified whether is just floating debris or a fish and if so, what species. Most of the time, one is only guessing what it might be. Even with a 60 degree wide angle you can only see reflections falling within a 20' diameter on the very bottom in 20' depth and progressively less as one goes up the water column. A 20 degree cone is only showing reflections out to about 7' diameter in 20' of water. In other words, with most transducers, you see an extremely narrow slice in the water, like looking through a straw.

What are your thoughts about using drones?