• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cell phones in the stand

MCI

The regulations book is kind of vague as far as what you can and can't use a cell phone for while hunting. "Using cell phones to take big game is unlawful".

Wondering if anyone has had to deal with this issue before in the field with a CO officer or the sheriff? 

Me and my brother hunt on 88 acres of private land, our stands are about 300 yards apart.  We both have cell phones and the ability to text; in years past we would text each other if we saw deer, what the deer was and what direction the deer was heading. Yes, sometimes the deer we text each other about do walk by us. We do not push/drive deer when we hunt, we walk into our stands and sit all day and walk out on the same path once shooting hours are over.

Are we using our cell phones the take deer?

How many people do you think are in their stands texting to their hunting buddies?  I know I do it with my hunting buddy and I'm sure most people do it to some extent. 

During bow season we hunt solo so we are usually just texting to check in on how things are going as the other guy is usually stuck at work or some sort of family obligation.  During rifle season we hunt public land together but are usually set up a good distance apart so deer I see very likely aren't going to be making their way in front of him and vice versa.  We'll text each other to say what we saw but realistically its not aiding each other.  I don't think we've ever had a deer pass by one stand and make their way all the way to the other stand since we usually hunt different travel routes a 1/2 mile or more apart.

Most of what gets texted between us and any other guys that might join us for a hunt is a continuation of the talk and comical insults that started over a few beers the night before.  Might be worth fighting a ticket for using a cell phone just so that we could go to court and have a lawyer read those text conversations out loud in front of a judge.

35 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Most of what gets texted between us and any other guys that might join us for a hunt is a continuation of the talk and comical insults that started over a few beers the night before.  Might be worth fighting a ticket for using a cell phone just so that we could go to court and have a lawyer read those text conversations out loud in front of a judge.

Yep! Ha!!!! ;)

A couple years ago I called and talked to the DNR in St. Paul about cell phone usage. He told me any talk about deer movement, rubs, scrapes, etc. is illegal. But if you use it to tell someone you shot a deer and need help or to meet at the truck for lunch, perfectly OK.

Using cell phones (or 2 way radios) while hunting isn't illegal in itself. You can use them to chat with buddies, tell them you are heading back to the truck/cabin, tell them you need help tracking or dragging a deer you shot, etc. It's when you use them to aid in the hunt when it become illegal, like telling someone a deer is heading there way or anything like that. 

Thanks for the responses, they were what I was expecting.  Some to say yes its illegal and some to say not a big deal or you will not get busted for it.  I can see it both ways, having your phone out and on speaker moad trekking through the woods heading to your buddy on the other end of the woods giving him play by play as you push deer towards him, that I find un sportsman like.

The senoiro I listed in my post, not so much. No one is pushing the deer in any way towards another hunter, the deer still needs to travel past in range to be shot. I don't feel that is aiding in harvesting a deer. I personally would argue that one with a CO in the field. The use of a drone, hell yes thats illegal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it legal for 5 licensed hunters to walk (drive) the woods to 1 or 2 licensed hunters standing post at the other end/side of the woods? 

If that method is legal,  then how can texting your buddy that a deer is walking his way be illegal.

Dont want this to turn into a pissen match, but sometimes I read stuff in the reg book and think "what the hell is this about."

Anyway, only a couple days away from the big morning. Everyone be safe, have fun and make some memories. Hunting has taken on a whole different meaning for me now that my 2 boys are old enough to go out. I look forward to just watching the deer in the woods and hoping my boys get a shot at one. If I shoot one, thats a bonus. 

5 minutes ago, MCI said:

The senoiro I listed in my post, not so much. No one is pushing the deer in any way towards another hunter, the deer still needs to travel past in range to be shot. I don't feel that is aiding in harvesting a deer. I personally would argue that one with a CO in the field.

You are letting the other person know to be on the lookout in a particular direction.  Had you not let him know, he could have been looking somewhere else or been day dreaming or asleep. That is aiding in harvesting a deer and if caught (I don't know how a CO could ever prove it) should be ticketed/warned. It not an egregious offence so I hope our limited CO's are focusing on more important stuff than who told someone a deer was heading their way. 

Cell phones use radio frequencies and I would suspect they can be monitored just like a walkie-talkie. Whether one agrees with the law or feels the chance of getting caught or convicted is low doesn't matter once you're standing before a judge.

I thought hunters were ethical but it's not really sounding like it to me.

You have to draw the line somewhere or people will stretch the technology to the last inch to get an advantage or just because they find it fun.

Safety is too tough to put limits on, plus the enforcement would be a nightmare!  So they drew the line there.

Can you imagine Stop and Frisk of fully clothed deer hunters for radios and cell phones???!!!!  Half the time we can't find em ourselves!

Now if you're texting your non hunting buddy that's flying his drone over the spot you THOUGHT you should be in - you might want to re-think that.  How about the trail cams that send images to your phone?  Pretty much the same thing in my mind.

Dont lose sight of THE HUNT!  

Good luck all!

Why is it not sounding like hunters are ethical to you Bob T?  I highly doubt there are many hunters out in the woods who have little informants sending them test messages that an 8 point is sneaking up the back ridge.  Get ready.  I like wanderer quote, "lets all focus on the hunt".  

BobT-  What are hunting ethics?  Pretty sure those change from person to person state to state...

I also find it funny that you can get a group together and push a section calling out if they see a deer yelling back and forth but 2 guys sitting in stands acres apart cant text saying "saw 2 does headed south"

I wouldn't worry about it if I were in the stand texting a hunting buddy as I am sure you can just deny it and not allow them to check your phone as I am pretty sure they would need a warrant to force you to display information on your phone.  This is one issue I don't have to worry about now that I hunt alone!!

33 minutes ago, BobT said:

Cell phones use radio frequencies and I would suspect they can be monitored just like a walkie-talkie. Whether one agrees with the law or feels the chance of getting caught or convicted is low doesn't matter once you're standing before a judge.

I thought hunters were ethical but it's not really sounding like it to me.

Not without a warrant they can't. The vast majority of guys are ethical. The unethical are shining, poaching, baiting, and calling in false registrations. Cell phones are not the problem. I hardly ever text when on stand. It takes away too much time from watching for deer. Plus I don't really care what the rest are seeing at the time.