• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy advise please

Recently I have been watching review tapes of decoys online and it seems that the best decoy's are Avian X.  They left them outside for 90 days and they had little paint fade, dragged them behind a pickup on a gravel road for a mile and the paint held up well as well as the keels.  They froze them and hit them with a 2 x 4 and they didn't crack.  They are a little softer material.  In regards to all my divers I run GHG oversize decoys.  I've had them for three years, don't have them in slot bags and beat the heck out of them.  They have held up fairly well.  The paint on some has chipped and faded.  Out of five dozen that I own I have had two where they have got a crack between the keels and the body, where water has gotten in and they have sunk.  I don't plan on replacing all my decoys at once but will slowly be adding in the Avian X.  The videos I watched with the tests I mentioned tested six different brands of decoys as well.

My two cents - hands down G&H will look great, ride the waves great, last forever with good paint and easy to wrap. They are way tougher than any of the others I have used, including Herters old School. The ringers look great. I personally would not get GHG unless they made them tougher in the past few years. Also, unless you Texas Rig them, many decoys models with squatty necks look nice, but are a PITA to wrap and clamp the weight on if you do the MN figure 8 wrap.... We now stay away from squatty necks unless TX rig or put on jerk strings or spreaders. I just love G&H, but not real cheap, we used to get them for much cheaper.

I do have some Spirit Water decoys (divers, 2 cans, 2 ringbill, two bluebill) that I got at a MWA auction, and they are AWESOME, but at about $50 each retail is hard to actually buy ;) 

Good luck! They all will work on divers ;)

9 hours ago, BoxMN said:

My two cents - hands down G&H will look great, ride the waves great, last forever with good paint and easy to wrap. They are way tougher than any of the others I have used, including Herters old School. The ringers look great. I personally would not get GHG unless they made them tougher in the past few years. Also, unless you Texas Rig them, many decoys models with squatty necks look nice, but are a PITA to wrap and clamp the weight on if you do the MN figure 8 wrap.... We now stay away from squatty necks unless TX rig or put on jerk strings or spreaders. I just love G&H, but not real cheap, we used to get them for much cheaper.

I do have some Spirit Water decoys (divers, 2 cans, 2 ringbill, two bluebill) that I got at a MWA auction, and they are AWESOME, but at about $50 each retail is hard to actually buy ;) 

Good luck! They all will work on divers ;)

I have a bunch of G&H ringers  with the turnable heads. Great decoys.