• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why not multiple bucks in managed/intensive harvest zones?

That is what the TIP line was made for. What you describe is illegal and happens with gun, archery, solo and party hunters. 

You can register by phone but legally you are still supposed to be with the deer when it is transported and if any 12 of the 14 are transporting the deer and get stopped by the DNR it won't end well for them. With the cost of guns, vehicles and fines I personally see no way anyone would risk doing something like that.

48 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Personally, I have a son who has been hunting with me since he was legally able and I have let him fill my tag more than once.We have 5 kids in our group about the same age and all the dads have let their kids take a deer for them if they wanted to. Was this because I couldn't do it myself? Not at all but rather that I got more satisfaction from seeing him out there with me hunting than I would have had by sitting out there without him by me. If thats a crime then lock me away.:grin:

Same here. When my son was starting out the first few years I would put him in a stand and then I would go as far away so that I could still see his orange and hear him shoot but he could not see me. He never knew dad was sitting on a log just down the trail waiting for him to get a shot at a deer. I more or less gave up my few years of hunting so he could learn as I have taken my share of Deer over the years. If he did get one, I would let him try and fill my tag as well. We have always hunted in groups-Parties of 5-15 guys up at the cabin so no Deer were ever wasted. And young people learned how to hunt.

11 minutes ago, O.T.C. said:

Informal I know but I asked 14 women at work today if they buy a deer license for their husband to fill, 12/14 said yes ! Most said they are many miles away during opening weekend and since you can phone register their husbands say nothing to worry about.

Considering how many women I know that have taken up hunting, I'm kind of surprised most of them don't hunt themselves.

19 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Yet the stores are full of stuff to feed deer, and "food plots" abound.

Many people feed deer, even those that don't hunt. I don't own land and don't feed deer, so I'm not sure if it isn't allowed during hunting season (I used to wonder why bait shops still sold suckers and shiners after the game fish season closed - until I realized those seasons don't apply to certain rivers).

Food plots are different story. Some see them as not much different than hunting over bait, while others view them as a way to provide food and cover for lots of animals, not just deer. There is an ethical debate about baiting deer, but I believe the biological reason it isn't allowed is because the experts claims it's more likely to spread disease as deer create nose-to-nose contact while eating from a bait pile, whereas that's not really an issue with food plots.

Edited by Getanet

I think the way it sounded some did at some point at least sit out there or at least be home because you had to go uptown to register. Most were chest puffed happy to share in all their different levels of cheating. Some said apples, we store acorns, corn, birdseed, pumpkins. 2 said their husbands get em before the poachers do by hunting the Friday night before season laughing. The 12 all said they butcher their own. Oh well why worry now this has been going on for many years, maybe that 2nd buck tag is the way to go so us that can't screw our natural resources laws over can drop a 2nd one lawfully and legally or I could "party hunt" with no party around until tagging time. Like Dave said at least they are spending the $ on a tag, well most of their kills anyway.

Back to the subject of multiple bucks, To me it comes down to the area in question and whether taking a buck vs taking a doe has a bigger impact on the population.

Personally if they are trying to reduce the herd size because there are too many for the land to carry or they are becoming either a nuisance or are causing damage then it shouldn't matter in real time whether they harvest either sex because you are trying to knock numbers back for the current level. If you are factoring in longer term numbers obviously taking does would reduce future total numbers. The rest comes down to whether you place more value on the headgear available to choose from. 

16 minutes ago, Getanet said:

The Arby's in St. Louis Park will have a venison steak sandwich for a limited time next week in case anyone really, truly, desperately needs a venison fix!

Probably the only way I will get some venison :(

I would like to see the gun season pushed back a week! To let the deer pass on some genetics and breed with the does. And before anyone makes a comment...yea I know I'm a bow hunter and that would only please us bowhunters! So most people on here won't like that idea. My 2 cents

1 hour ago, rkhinrichs said:

I would like to see the gun season pushed back a week! To let the deer pass on some genetics and breed with the does. And before anyone makes a comment...yea I know I'm a bow hunter and that would only please us bowhunters! So most people on here won't like that idea. My 2 cents

Actually I agree with you. In fact, I would love to see it pushed back to Thanksgiving like they do in Wisconsin. Make it a month long and combine it with Muzzy and Archery so everyone is on level ground. 

16 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Actually I agree with you. In fact, I would love to see it pushed back to Thanksgiving like they do in Wisconsin. Make it a month long and combine it with Muzzy and Archery so everyone is on level ground.

You do know that Wisconsin is for the most part of the state Longitudinally lower then Minnesota so their Deer rut a little later then Minnesota-right?

th.jpg

I'm reading a lot of "What works best for me/ in my opinion" comments - which is fine, everyone has a preference, but this situation really just boils down to supply vs. demand.

Theoretically when fawns hit the ground it's a 50/50 ratio of bucks/does.  Once the bucks start sporting headgear the ratio gets skewed heavily in favor of the does.  Overall, our MN hunting crowd will drop any buck if it's standing with a doe.  It's just engrained in our psyche a buck is the more prestigious target.  Has been for years.

So logically if you want to reduce supply, you target the actual supply, which is typically does in MN.  

It's really not any more complicated than that, is it?

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

You do know that Wisconsin is for the most part of the state Longitudinally lower then Minnesota so their Deer rut a little later then Minnesota-right?

th.jpg

Yeah, I got the geography down pat.:grin: I was just trying to find some common ground with the archery guys by moving the hunt out of the primary rut,which seems to be a point of concern. It still puts the season out of the primary rut.;)

My studies in Minnesota show that roughly 10-20 percent of the does come into estrus during the early breeding phase (approximately October 15 - September 7 in the upper Midwest), 50-60 percent during the primary breeding phase (approximately September 8 - 28 in the upper Midwest), and 20-30 percent during the late breeding phase (approximately December 1-21 in the upper Midwest). 
     It made no difference if I considered the estrus dates of the does from October through December, or only the estrus dates in November, the peak of the rut occurred within seven days of November 10. The primary breeding phase usually lasted three weeks, from approximately November 1 to 21.

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Yeah, I got the geography down pat.:grin: I was just trying to find some common ground with the archery guys by moving the hunt out of the primary rut,which seems to be a point of concern. It still puts the season out of the primary rut.;)

Not sure who this Quote is from but "(approximately October 15 - September 7 in the upper Midwest)"

Is one he!! of along breeding phase from Oct 15 2015 to Sept 7 2016!  Right! :D

Party hunting can be done legal and done without abusing. If you know of this being abused than call tip until others start doing that then you will always have this debate and nothing will change. Tip is on speed dial on my phone.

Our group has always party hunted no tags are filled by others who are not in the field or near the other hunters. No one in camp tags being used or wifes tag , when ever stopped or checked we never had to worry about anything being illegal. We have had to turn in other hunters before , making a drive and you walk in on deer hanging in the trees untagged and mile deep in the woods.

People have traditions and not are all bad and deer camp is great time of year to be with family and friends. The gun season will not be moved back MN likes having the out of state hunters from wI same with WI. I know 15-20 people that come over hunt MN then go back and hunt wI gun. They love it and have been doing that since they were kids and their dads did the same.

I'm not saying everyone will like or does party hunting but does not mean it's abused by all. If you know of people abusing then call tip if you don't then stop complaining if you not willing to do something about it. Or the abuse will not stop and we will be always be seeing these threads. I know guy who has 5 tags and hunts a lone.

11 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I honestly could never see MN and WI having conflicting dates for the firearms season. Too much out-state license revenue would be lost.

Asked the remaining 5 ladies 0/5 none of them buy a tag but 4/5 husbands hunt. Not calling tip could turn in the mayor of the town etc. Will let a higher power decide their fate for killing gods creatures needlessly in time. All of you that can lie on here and act like you know no 1 bending the rules cmon. Your baitpiles should work good this year in a no or low acorn year. I just pray your gun jams or the scope falls off. 

1 hour ago, O.T.C. said:

Asked the remaining 5 ladies 0/5 none of them buy a tag but 4/5 husbands hunt. Not calling tip could turn in the mayor of the town etc. Will let a higher power decide their fate for killing gods creatures needlessly in time. All of you that can lie on here and act like you know no 1 bending the rules cmon. Your baitpiles should work good this year in a no or low acorn year. I just pray your gun jams or the scope falls off. 

Lol. Who peed in your wheaties? 

I'm not sure how bait piles will work around here with thousands of acres of standing corn for the deer to hide in and eat at their pleasure. 

Obviously you already said you know lots if people breaking the law and do nothing about it so why wish bad luck on fellow hunters you know nothing about? 

While maybe a little overdramatic, OTC is right about the rampant abuse in the system we have now, and the DNR has only made it easier. What will happen in the end like it always does, is that the ethical hunters will pay the price for the abusers. We only have a finite number of deer in MN and only so much pressure can be put on it before before that resource dwindles. Between party hunting, bonus tags, lic abuse, baiting, winter kill, predation, disease, trespassing, poaching, etc, etc, this herd is under constant pressure. Maybe what everyone should be asking themselves is: "What am I willing to give up to keep this herd healthy?" Instead of what's in it for me. No need to comment to me!  You need to look within for the answer to that one.

Nothing creates pressure on the herd like the constant quest to take the biggest buck. Racks are like crack to hunters and they often cause them to do irrational things. I don't understand what happened to the notion that every deer is a trophy and why we as hunters and many as Christian hunters cannot be happy with what the lord provides for them big or small. I also have a hard time with solo hunters demonizing party hunters just because they like to hunt as a group. This is a free country and as long as you follow the rules there is no place for one group of hunters to put down another for the way they like to hunt. 

I think the ones who need to look in the mirror or the ones who somehow think they are better or deserve more than another type of hunter as well as the ones who wish bad luck or harm on fellow hunters. There is no place in hunting for that sort of mindset.