• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

icehard

Fish house build opinions

Hello i have been building a fish house this past year when ive had time. I have enjoyed looking at all of your builds throughout the year getting ideas and ways on going about certain things. But now as i am finishing up the interior, i am asking for advice from all of you on counter tops, colors, and my plans/ideas.

Darker or Lighter stain for walls/ceiling- i dont want it too dark, but if i choose a darker stain, id want to have lighter colored accents such as counter tops?

Counter tops- do most make their own with laminate or buy pieces of counter top on sale in stores? Im thinking i will have to make my own.

I like to hear everyones 2 cents because you may see something i missed and others have much more experience with building fish houses.

I built a 8x12 plus 3' V. This is my first house so some things could have been planned better and done differently but im designing and learning as I go.

I wont have a better more recent picture until later tomorrow so i made a rough sketch.

1468381775979.jpgfish house1.pngfish house2.png

Edited by icehard

I took the lazy way because personally I like it and was pooped by the time counter tops and cabinets came around. I used Menard's counter tops and cupboards and GOOD QUALITY natural eggshell poly on the 5/16 pine. I think it turned out ok.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

I haven't had the chance to try that yet... I made it to track with pickup, if it sways too much i figured i can turn wheels 180 deg and they will stick out 9" further each side. With house up it seems to be pretty solid though. If i were to do it again, i wouldnt make them track with pickup. It was a bit difficult to make a 48" 4 wheeler fit in between the wheel wells with some space.

I don't want the t&g to touch the floor, what are some some ideas for a bottom perimeter? I was thinking a 1X4 plastic board in black if there is such a thing but can buy white and bed line it. I want it to be strong and plan on putting it on then finish the t&g down to it. what are other ideas?

Edited by icehard

put a tongue on it as if it where t&g wood

another option would be aluminum diamond plate

or just stop the t&g short and cover with baseboard

Edited by Cheers
spelling

18 hours ago, icehard said:

I don't want the t&g to touch the floor, what are some some ideas for a bottom perimeter? I was thinking a 1X4 plastic board in black if there is such a thing but can buy white and bed line it. I want it to be strong and plan on putting it on then finish the t&g down to it. what are other ideas?

Just keep the t&g up about 1/2", and use whatever you plastic you find as a trim board.  Even a wood trim board will be fine.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'll look for plastic trim and look into diamond plate. I wonder if anything white will look weird paired up to a black floor? my windows are white and my counters will have some white in them, I will have to test that out. Thanks for the help everyone

Don't be afraid to stain the T&G.  I used water based Min Wax then put a coat of spar poly on it.  I put two coats of poly down low.   I kept the T&G about an inch off the floor and used pine boards for base.  

IMG_1670.JPG

Thanks for your input. maybe i will paint a 1x4 pine black and also seal it. Can always replace them if they show signs of water absorption i suppose.

Another question, with my t&g i put up, the beaded side(the side i put facing inward) i applied Thompsons sealer. And with the other side that you see, i know a couple boards had gotten the sealer on it and im sure others that i cannot see. I am worried that when i stain, the areas with the sealer will show a different shade of the stain. I think if the stain is oil based as well, it will be fine. I will most likely test this with a scrap piece beforehand, but am about 70 miles away from any major store to get some type of cleaner/degreaser if need be. If somebody has ever encountered this, it would save me some time.

I think you're right, the seal is going to be much different, you might have to stay natural.

Princeton, I remember watching your build and it still amazes me how nice your ceiling turned out, you did a nice job.

Edited by Hawg

Thanks Hawg!  It was a fun build, and is a popular hangout year around!!

I agree that I unless you are 100% sure that there is no Thompson's present it will likely stain unevenly.  

I thought my peaked ceiling was tough to match everything up to, especially the front V, I can't imagine the head scratching that went on for a round one.

On 10/21/2016 at 8:06 AM, Hawg said:

I took the lazy way because personally I like it and was pooped by the time counter tops and cabinets came around. I used Menard's counter tops and cupboards and GOOD QUALITY natural eggshell poly on the 5/16 pine. I think it turned out ok.

IMG_0607.JPG

Looks good, but what the ha!! kind of food are you planing to make that you have to hit it with a hammer? :lol:

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

The steaks from Cub! :)

Funny thing is. When I first started Deer Hunting many years ago I hunted with a buddy of mine and his dad for a weekend at there little camper in the woods. When I brought out the venny I had brought to share for dinner and also took out a small meat tenderizer hammer I had brought.

His dad says "What the He!! kind of meat did you bring that you have to hit it with a hammer"? :eek:

I remember that clearly to this day we all had a good laugh, and now I got to use it!  :lol: