• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish house build opinions

icehard

Hello i have been building a fish house this past year when ive had time. I have enjoyed looking at all of your builds throughout the year getting ideas and ways on going about certain things. But now as i am finishing up the interior, i am asking for advice from all of you on counter tops, colors, and my plans/ideas.

Darker or Lighter stain for walls/ceiling- i dont want it too dark, but if i choose a darker stain, id want to have lighter colored accents such as counter tops?

Counter tops- do most make their own with laminate or buy pieces of counter top on sale in stores? Im thinking i will have to make my own.

I like to hear everyones 2 cents because you may see something i missed and others have much more experience with building fish houses.

I built a 8x12 plus 3' V. This is my first house so some things could have been planned better and done differently but im designing and learning as I go.

I wont have a better more recent picture until later tomorrow so i made a rough sketch.

1468381775979.jpgfish house1.pngfish house2.png

Edited by icehard

I took the lazy way because personally I like it and was pooped by the time counter tops and cabinets came around. I used Menard's counter tops and cupboards and GOOD QUALITY natural eggshell poly on the 5/16 pine. I think it turned out ok.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

I haven't had the chance to try that yet... I made it to track with pickup, if it sways too much i figured i can turn wheels 180 deg and they will stick out 9" further each side. With house up it seems to be pretty solid though. If i were to do it again, i wouldnt make them track with pickup. It was a bit difficult to make a 48" 4 wheeler fit in between the wheel wells with some space.

I don't want the t&g to touch the floor, what are some some ideas for a bottom perimeter? I was thinking a 1X4 plastic board in black if there is such a thing but can buy white and bed line it. I want it to be strong and plan on putting it on then finish the t&g down to it. what are other ideas?

Edited by icehard

18 hours ago, icehard said:

I don't want the t&g to touch the floor, what are some some ideas for a bottom perimeter? I was thinking a 1X4 plastic board in black if there is such a thing but can buy white and bed line it. I want it to be strong and plan on putting it on then finish the t&g down to it. what are other ideas?

Just keep the t&g up about 1/2", and use whatever you plastic you find as a trim board.  Even a wood trim board will be fine.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'll look for plastic trim and look into diamond plate. I wonder if anything white will look weird paired up to a black floor? my windows are white and my counters will have some white in them, I will have to test that out. Thanks for the help everyone

Another question, with my t&g i put up, the beaded side(the side i put facing inward) i applied Thompsons sealer. And with the other side that you see, i know a couple boards had gotten the sealer on it and im sure others that i cannot see. I am worried that when i stain, the areas with the sealer will show a different shade of the stain. I think if the stain is oil based as well, it will be fine. I will most likely test this with a scrap piece beforehand, but am about 70 miles away from any major store to get some type of cleaner/degreaser if need be. If somebody has ever encountered this, it would save me some time.

I think you're right, the seal is going to be much different, you might have to stay natural.

Princeton, I remember watching your build and it still amazes me how nice your ceiling turned out, you did a nice job.

Edited by Hawg

On 10/21/2016 at 8:06 AM, Hawg said:

I took the lazy way because personally I like it and was pooped by the time counter tops and cabinets came around. I used Menard's counter tops and cupboards and GOOD QUALITY natural eggshell poly on the 5/16 pine. I think it turned out ok.

IMG_0607.JPG

Looks good, but what the ha!! kind of food are you planing to make that you have to hit it with a hammer? :lol:

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

The steaks from Cub! :)

Funny thing is. When I first started Deer Hunting many years ago I hunted with a buddy of mine and his dad for a weekend at there little camper in the woods. When I brought out the venny I had brought to share for dinner and also took out a small meat tenderizer hammer I had brought.

His dad says "What the He!! kind of meat did you bring that you have to hit it with a hammer"? :eek:

I remember that clearly to this day we all had a good laugh, and now I got to use it!  :lol: