• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Murphy-Hanrehan park hunt

rkhinrichs

48 minutes ago, rkhinrichs said:

Hey guys! Looks like my name was drawn and I got a permit this year! Did any buddy else? 

How many Parks and Deer can you shoot a year?  Didn't you already get two on another park hunt? Not a problem, just asking?

30 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

How many Parks and Deer can you shoot a year?  Didn't you already get two on another park hunt? Not a problem, just asking?

Well thanks for asking leech!!! Well if you look at the DNR page under interactive map!!! The park falls under zone 601!!!! Which is unlimited anterless!!!

your right I have shot two anterless deer this year!!! All in a city hunt. so far which are all intensive harvest!  Which is 4 antlerless deer and one buck or 5 antlerless deer! 

I am am not going to disclose where or what city I hunt in but a simple search on the DNR page can narrow things down!

So the people that are going to troll me or think I'm breaking the law. I'm not!!

Bahahah, relax son. I'm sure the folks around the cities and burbs love you taking out their shrub eaters.

I was just asking how many Park drawings people can apply for in one year?  I have a very nice Park by my home and may think about drawing for to take out a few shrub rats! ;)

Well I apply to about 4 or so a year... this hunt took me 4 years to draw. I applied to metro bow hunters and didn't get drawn this year.  A lot of city hunts are pretty easy to get in overall. Pay the city 20 bucks get permission to hunt on private land and bam!!! Your in the chips! 

I know leech I'm not saying you were trying to troll. Your cool

Edited by rkhinrichs

I applied for about 4 city bow hunts this year and didn't get any, let me in on your hunts lol! I managed to get Crow Hassen last year and got a small doe. You shouldn't have any trouble landing a deer on Murphy. Let us know how it goes for you!

I have been hunting the Murphy Hanrehan hunts since they started doing it about 25 years ago.  I used to see about 20 deer per hunt.  Last year I didn't see any.  I'm not sure what has changed other than lots of Buckthorn now.  In the early hunts they used to have it in the middle of Nov., so I'm sure that helped with all the gun pressure from neighboring properties.  This year will be especially tough since there isn't many acorns. 

Anyway, after the disappointing hunt last year, I decided to stop applying.

My tip for that hunt is have at least 3 spots picked out within close proximity to each other, because there will be hunters everywhere and nobody seems to pay attention to the rule about what time you can enter the park.

Good luck!  Let us know how you do.

Nels

I would totally agree with the rule following.  The year we hunted we found cold empty trucks in the parking lot and several hunters who apparently were hunting from the ground as they were only carrying a bow and no stand into the woods. Get there really early

I hunted Murphy for the first time this year. I managed a pretty decent 9 pointer on the opening morning and then didnt see another deer. My uncle managed a doe but overall it was very slow. Sounds like there are fewer and fewer deer seen and harvested every year. Maybe time to let it rebound if it doesnt need to be thinned out. I think that the majority of deer harvested were bucks, mostly small ones. 

7 hours ago, PFUNK said:

I hunted Murphy for the first time this year. I managed a pretty decent 9 pointer on the opening morning and then didnt see another deer. My uncle managed a doe but overall it was very slow. Sounds like there are fewer and fewer deer seen and harvested every year. Maybe time to let it rebound if it doesnt need to be thinned out. I think that the majority of deer harvested were bucks, mostly small ones. 

Congrats!!! I know the area around the park gets hammered with other bow hunters too.  O well it was a nice hunt! 

Murphy has been hunted hard and MBRB hunts a property to the east as well. Numbers seem to be going down and city of Burnsville has been cutting the hunt days for MBRB. Sounds like the are is getting closer to goals. 

BTW, Murphy should be becoming an MBRB hunt in 2017 or 2018. Three Rivers has let MBRB take over the draws and hunts for the park hunts. 

7 minutes ago, rkhinrichs said:

Yea we will see what happens. I just love the atmosphere of the city hunts

My thought has been what the walkers and joggers would say when your dragging a dead Deer out of these parks! :(:lol:

6 hours ago, leech~~ said:

My thought has been what the walkers and joggers would say when your dragging a dead Deer out of these parks! :(:lol:

I hear you!!! Good thing!  I'm a good shot! I normally try to do it after dark!

Edited by rkhinrichs