• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity Reports

Lunker

On my way to the cities, saw one buck cruising a picked corn field. He was searching. Only deer I saw. Did see a very smashed mini van with its hazards on along the road by Zumbrota. Looked like a recent deer collision, but can't be certain. Whatever it hit did considerable damage.

Saw 3 bucks today. One small buck cruising, one six dogging what appeared to be a hot doe. Had a young but decent eight come through tonight at 30 yards that I passed on. Woods certainly haven't exploded yet but it's getting there slowly.

was sitting on  a picked and cut corn field yesterday in the Princeton area and had does abundant but couldn't identify any bucks althought they were 300 yards out and it was getting dark.  Had one doe 30 yards out as I was leaving and as I grunted it walked to within 10 yards of me before a couple other deer broke out of the weeds and they all started chasing each other!  Pretty wild experience!!!

Blanked again this morning. Saw 4 tonight, all dies. On the way home had a spike buck with a doe in ditch, shined the lights on them, they didn't care. checked cams today, will see what they are saying. On my in laws 40 there are scrapes popping up all over. You literally can't walk a trail for more than 50 yards without seeing at least 1 scrape. I think the little guys are just getting ramped up. Not sure when the big bucks will start going. Warm weather appears to have shut down what was strarting to look like a promising rut.

Had 2 does and 3 fawns come by tonight.   No bucks.    Rubs and scrapes heavy.   Checked cams at midday.  Definitely a slow down on older bucks past 3 days since warm up.   Multiple yearlings hit up scrapes past two days.  Not even a 2 year old though.  10 day forcast is unseasonably warm.   I'll try again tomorrow somewhere else. 

This morning i hunted my favorite funnel. A 6 pt and a forkie came through at diff times going in opposite directions around 8ish and the second around 8:45. 6 pt had mouth open and breathing like he was out of breath indicating he may have been cruising.  Forkie was casually milling around and took about 20 min to enter my lanes and disappear out of site. Lone nubbin came later and bedded behind a fallen log 30 yds downwind of me. He booked when i fit down.  Hunted evening in my favorite evening spot on same property. Wind was on point! Saw turkeys, numerous does, but no bucks chasin. However the massive rubs i saw will keep me hoping. And yes, got violated by mosquitos. Gave me flashbacks of opening day. Skeeters were of the white bodied & black stripes variety. Their bites hurt!

Edited by 1eyeReD

Just checked trail cams at the cabin in Nemadji forest,looks like it's gonna be lean again this year. I set up a couple drippers over mock scrapes 2 weeks ago, the only visitor was a wolf who rolls in it. Not what I had in mind.

3 mature deer on camera during daylight hours. 8 am, 3:15, and 5:15. Mostly still night movement.  Lots of scrapes. Put a dripper above a large scrape. 4 mature bucks hit it in one night. Hoping any one of them shows up next week during daylight hours. I'm not going to get out anymore this week until Saturday...bummer.

Lot of nocturnal movement here. Did pass a couple of decent eights this week and have seen a couple of deer chasing does. And....shot over the back of a big 10....:(. Clean miss. But besides a few highlights there hasn't been a lot of deer movement during shooting hours.

Saw a nice buck cruising at about 60 yards yesterday morning.  Then last night, had two 1 1/2 year old bucks pushing around and chasing what looked like a female fawn or maybe a small yearling doe.  Made for some fun entertainment for quite a while on stand.  My buddy missed a nice 8 on Saturday evening.  Our group of 4 saw deer on every sit this weekend.  This week albeit warm, should still see some low light action with the bucks getting ramped up.  It'll be fun being in the stand.

Been such an odd week + of hunting here in WI. The two warmest days we've seen the most activity, and very slow on the cooler days.

This morning(the 1st) we saw good early movement. 5 bucks seen between my brother and I hunting the same area, no does. This included an 11, 10, two 8's , and one little guy. All seemed to be cruising/searching. My brother called the big 10 to 65 yards but he hung up. I redeemed my earlier week miss by taking the 11. 

Good luck out there its just starting to get good!

I REALLY wish I was out the next few days.  I spent Sunday evening, Monday all day, and Tuesday in the morning in the stand.  Only thing I saw was a bear Monday evening.

Tuesday afternoon the woods just felt more "alive".  Part of it was the weather, being the first sunny day after two straight days of rain.  A small 6 or 8 point at 2:30 on Tuesday, and he had definitely been chasing hard.  I'll try to post up the video later today.  

Didn't see much where I sat the last few sits, but small bucks cruising. But... Saw about 4 big bucks (2 of which I confirmed was a big 8 and a 10) chasing a doe at mach 10 past me on the way to my evening stand around 2:30PM yesterday. They ran by at 40 yds and I was standing there with my jaws dropped. They didn't even notice me. I climbed up and hoped they would come back. Nope. But it certainly has begun!

Edited by 1eyeReD

Well last night the woods were alive.  Deer chasing and fighting all around me. Should have had a nice 10 down that I grunted away from a doe, but another  doe snuck up in the crp and busted me just as I was about to release the arrow.  Had another monster come in right at the end of shooting light.

This morning was another story. Saw one doe and then while moving my stand a little closer to where both nice deer came out last night I managed to cut my thumb real bad.  Quick trip to the doctors and 9 stitches later I'm back in the tree.  Let's hope I can get my bow pulled back when the time comes!

I have not been out much this week.  I have been hearing lots of good reports though of bucks cruising during daylight hours.  Also lots of reports of grunting and rattling working for them.  Most of what is coming in is little scrappers looking for left overs, but some big guys have been getting whacked this week.  I am surprised, even with the warm temps, the bigger bucks are on their feet right now.