• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ditch the Gophers once and for all and support a real college football program

Big Dave2

25 minutes ago, Bryce said:

North Dakota actually. Sioux not Bison. 

Again, my condolences. Good luck with your little league college football team next year. ;)

30 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Continue running up your post count and adding nothing to the discussions here.

I made the post.
You could read the title of the post before you even clicked on it.

If you don't like the post why are you running up your post count by replying?

On 10/11/2016 at 9:11 PM, Big Dave2 said:

I know it is conventional wisdom but I don't buy it. You would think that a major market like Minneapolis/St. Paul with all it has to offer, including professional sports franchises would make for a better draw for not only coaches but players. I think it is just an excuse. Ann Arbor is only 35 miles from Detroit.

I'm guessing the U of MN has a far greater academic prowess than Alabama or most SEC colleges.  Maybe we should look at academic a little more and less athletics.  You mention the market how about Fortune 500 companies compared to Alabama or Louisiana?  Due to the high academic standards and far flung students, maybe a growing number of students really don't give a rip about football, or sports in general...

3 minutes ago, chasineyes said:

I'm guessing the U of MN has a far greater academic prowess than Alabama or most SEC colleges.

Sure but neither of these schools are comparable with Harvard, Yale or MIT. Minnesota barely cracks the top 100 best academic schools at #97. Notre Dame is ranked much higher, as are Michigan, Ohio State and USC. Those schools seem to put together pretty good football programs. Duke is very high on the list and they have a pretty decent basketball program. Another team high on the list is Vanderbilt, an SEC team. But what does this have to do with the original subject?

Maybe we should look at academic a little more and less athletics.

For what purpose? Not for the purpose of the original subject. We were discussing why Minnesota can't field a decent football team for the last 50 years. 

You mention the market how about Fortune 500 companies compared to Alabama or Louisiana?  

You better read the post again because that was my original point. The original argument that someone posted was that the Gophers can't compete because they are in a large market and are sharing it with other professional sports teams. I argued that a larger market should help attract quality players and recruits and not be a hindrance. You even quoted it.

Due to the high academic standards and far flung students, maybe a growing number of students really don't give a rip about football, or sports in general...

But we aren't talking about those students. We are talking about attracting football players. 

http://www.rolltide.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Looking at their roster, a large chunk is made up of kids from Alabama, Florida or Texas.  The powerhouse locales of high school prep football.  In all reality if you were a kid form those areas, would your really want to travel up to Minnesota, Wisconsin or even Iowa?  In the Midwest we really don't have the large football following like they do in the south.  Now hockey might be a different story.  Keep in mind kids moving about the country is no different than adults looking for jobs.  Most stay in a region because of family.  Why go to school 1000 miles away when I can go to one that is 500 miles away???

We also don't have much for alumni to attempt to carry on some great legacy, like a Michigan or Ohio State.  And speaking of Ohio State, Columbus's regional population is around 822,000 compared to the Minneapolis region of 3,500,000  and yet they seem to get talent.  However what they do have is better weather and proximity to the southeast region.  From what I've noticed all the big market gets you is inflated ticket prices. 

23 minutes ago, chasineyes said:

http://www.rolltide.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Looking at their roster, a large chunk is made up of kids from Alabama, Florida or Texas.  The powerhouse locales of high school prep football.  In all reality if you were a kid form those areas, would your really want to travel up to Minnesota, Wisconsin or even Iowa? 

Then why do Wisconsin and Iowa have perennially better teams than MN? Iowa and Wisconsin combined have been to about a dozen Rose Bowls since the Gophers went to their last. Are you saying that kids would rather spend their college years in Iowa City, Madison or Lincoln, NE for that matter than the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan area?

I think there has to be more wrong with this program than just location. 

33 minutes ago, chasineyes said:

Columbus's regional population is around 822,000 compared to the Minneapolis region of 3,500,000  and yet they seem to get talent.  However what they do have is better weather and proximity to the southeast region.  From what I've noticed all the big market gets you is inflated ticket prices. 

Does Michigan and Michigan State have better weather? Does Madison Wisconsin? 

Proximity? These kids travel by plane, we are maybe an hour flight longer to the Southeaster region. 

Why does anyone care what sports team another random guy on the internet supports?  Its like ragging on a guy because he doesn't like the same TV show as you.  Its just entertainment, if you get more entertainment watching your local team thats great, if you prefer to jump on the bandwagon of the top team each year thats great, if you want to cheer for the Cleveland Browns because you like their team colors thats great, why should any of us care one way or the other?

I personally do not care if you like supporting the Tide or if you like watching Dancing with the Stars while taking a bubble bath.  Neither one negatively impacts my life as long as you don't post pictures of your next bubble bath.

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Then why do Wisconsin and Iowa have perennially better teams than MN? Iowa and Wisconsin combined have been to about a dozen Rose Bowls since the Gophers went to their last. Are you saying that kids would rather spend their college years in Iowa City, Madison or Lincoln, NE for that matter than the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan area?

I think there has to be more wrong with this program than just location. 

Does Michigan and Michigan State have better weather? Does Madison Wisconsin? 

Proximity? These kids travel by plane, we are maybe an hour flight longer to the Southeaster region. 

None of those towns have a hockey program, or nba program like MN does.  Could it be that kids see us as a hockey and some wrestling and less and less football, thus driving the desire to be on a football team less likely?  Does Michigan and Sconnie have better weather, no, however according to the media we're constantly frozen over and freezing to death up here.  ;)

1 minute ago, chasineyes said:

None of those towns have a hockey program, or nba program like MN does. 

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Could it be that kids see us as a hockey and some wrestling and less and less football, thus driving the desire to be on a football team less likely? 

That's pretty much the point. Now how do they change it?

Does Michigan and Sconnie have better weather, no, however according to the media we're constantly frozen over and freezing to death up here.  ;)

So, it's the media's fault? Are you suggesting that the media says nice things about Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska? Not hardly.

In the 2 pages here I have yet to see any example of why YOU think players don't want to come here.  All you've done is shot down every comment/option I've made.  Do you really have nothing to add to this or just chest thumping about a team you're living vicariously through?

You should probably go back through the posts on this thread and read them. I didn't start that conversation about why the Gophers can't seem to recruit players and coaches, O.T.C. did. Also, I never claimed to have an answer. I don't spend much time thinking about Gopher football. If I had to come up with a guess I would have to say some where along the line it is a terrible program. All I was saying is that I'm not buying all the excuses.

I'm sorry you're a Gopher fan and I'm sorry you have 50 years of pent up aggression but there's no need to be mad at me. 

3 hours ago, Bryce said:

The old go back and read ploy. What a fraud

So, from his comments you think he completely understood the original conversation? Do YOU need to go back and read it?

11 minutes ago, chasineyes said:

Remember, he is originally from Alabama.

You are somehow better than me because you are from Shakopee?

On 12/31/2016 at 5:58 PM, ANYFISH2 said:

Nice win for your Tide, Big Dave.

The no handshake was pretty classless, however.  All in all that seemed like Thier biggest blunder.  Good luck on your way to the National title.

They shook hands. You obviously didn't watch the coin flip on TV and are listening to the media account of the event. 

Don't believe everything you hear.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/31/14136138/alabama-washington-handshake-peach-bowl

Edited by Big Dave2