Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here


            TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

        HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

        EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

        Have Fun!!!

bobberineyes

What's on the grill

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

generally speaking most pork loins now days are pre injected..  and that is some thing most people do not realize....  I'm not saying yours was..

 

Not if you buy fresh cut chops from a local butcher shop. That being said, I do like to brine pork chops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Not if you buy fresh cut chops from a local butcher shop. That being said, I do like to brine pork chops.

again Dave that depends on if they butcher the pigs or ship them in...  but I understand what you are saying..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

again Dave that depends on if they butcher the pigs or ship them in...  but I understand what you are saying..  

 

That's why I said "fresh cut". The butcher shop I go to sells locally raised pork they slaughter themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so it wasn't a fresh cut pork loin so it was probably injected. My response to bobberineyes was that I didn't inject it with anything. I'll look at the package next time to see what all was added. Sorry for the confusion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

That's why I said "fresh cut". The butcher shop I go to sells locally raised pork they slaughter themselves. 

is that Belle Plane?

 

27 minutes ago, chaffmj said:

Ok so it wasn't a fresh cut pork loin so it was probably injected. My response to bobberineyes was that I didn't inject it with anything. I'll look at the package next time to see what all was added. Sorry for the confusion!

and you are good chaffmj,  me and Dave are just bantering..  he makes good points..  I used to be the inspector there at one time, it is in fact Belle Plaine..  we are enjoying good food and that's what is about no matter what smurfy says!!!  🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

is that Belle Plane?

 

and you are good chaffmj,  me and Dave are just bantering..  he makes good points..  I used to be the inspector there at one time, it is in fact Belle Plaine..  we are enjoying good food and that's what is about no matter what smurfy says!!!  🤣🤣

HA...…….I've tried the packaged ones you get in the stores. there OK, but nuttin beats the seasoned rolled pork loins we order from the meat market in Richmond...Plantenbergs. but they do there own butchering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

is that Belle Plane?

 

Yes

 

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

 

and you are good chaffmj,  me and Dave are just bantering..  he makes good points..  I used to be the inspector there at one time, it is in fact Belle Plaine..  we are enjoying good food and that's what is about no matter what smurfy says!!!  🤣🤣

 

I'm not arguing, just stating that meat doesn't have to be purchased from a big box store or come from a national slaughterhouse. Lots of small town butcher shops slaughter locally raised pork and beef. 

 

Mike89, how long ago were you the inspector in that shop? Are you USDA or State of MN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Yes

 

 

I'm not arguing, just stating that meat doesn't have to be purchased from a big box store or come from a national slaughterhouse. Lots of small town butcher shops slaughter locally raised pork and beef. 

 

Mike89, how long ago were you the inspector in that shop? Are you USDA or State of MN?

I was USDA, Greg G. and his wife owned then..  I was there in the early 90's...  and you are 100% correct, but you would be surprised how many do not know that...  that is why I do not have just one go to place to purchase different cuts of meat and processed products...  that was a darn good plant back then and I'm sure it still is...  

 

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

HA...…….I've tried the packaged ones you get in the stores. there OK, but nuttin beats the seasoned rolled pork loins we order from the meat market in Richmond...Plantenbergs. but they do there own butchering.

never been to that plant so can't say any thing about it...  might have a to make bike ride there this summer and check it out...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh by the way Big Dave2, they used to make a great breakfast sausage there too!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Not if you buy fresh cut chops from a local butcher shop. That being said, I do like to brine pork chops.

If the local butcher is buying box pork, maybe.  Ask to be sure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I was USDA, Greg G. and his wife owned then..  I was there in the early 90's...  and you are 100% correct, but you would be surprised how many do not know that...  that is why I do not have just one go to place to purchase different cuts of meat and processed products...  that was a darn good plant back then and I'm sure it still is...  

 

That was 2 owners ago. Greg was a good guy but he might have been hard for an inspector to deal with. He had a cabin up near Battle Lake that he used to let me use it when he was not using it. Now he built a house on the property and lives up there.

 

The main person who owns it now used to be a co-worker of mine back in my grocery store days. I've been friends with him for probably over 25 years. That plant is now state inspected instead of federal.

 

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

 

never been to that plant so can't say any thing about it...  might have a to make bike ride there this summer and check it out...  

 

I've been to that one a couple of times. They have some good stuff too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

oh by the way Big Dave2, they used to make a great breakfast sausage there too!!!!

 

Still do. Are you talking about the rope or links?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Still do. Are you talking about the rope or links?

links, and I loved them!!  question, does your wife's name start with the letter S???  and as for Greg and I we got along as long as he followed the rules...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

links, and I loved them!! 

 

They are good. Greg had 2 kinds and one of them had sage. The new owners rarely make the sage links but those were my favorite.

 

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

question, does your wife's name start with the letter S??? 

 

Yes, do we know you?

 

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

and as for Greg and I we got along as long as he followed the rules...  

 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could go on here and have fun with this BigDave2, but I will be fair here...  first one more question..  were grilling wieners, many years ago, one day and suddenly they changed to a different kind when you stepped away and came back???  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

They are good. Greg had 2 kinds and one of them had sage. The new owners rarely make the sage links but those were my favorite.

 

 

Yes, do we know you?

 

 

👍

no we have never met as far as I know...  but Greg and I have been friends since we met at his plant..  and then we became co-workers when he became a federal food inspector...    and my thoughts are I'd still like to meet you someday if the chance comes along!!!  and next time ya buy a key for your wife's birthday don't drink it the day before!!!!!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

no we have never met as far as I know...  but Greg and I have been friends since we met at his plant..  and then we became co-workers when he became a federal food inspector...    and my thoughts are I'd still like to meet you someday if the chance comes along!!!  and next time ya buy a key for your wife's birthday don't drink it the day before!!!!!   

I've met Dave before on the ice. he cant fish worth a darn!!!!!!🤣 but a real good guy regardless of what some here think!!!!!!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

no we have never met as far as I know...  but Greg and I have been friends since we met at his plant..  and then we became co-workers when he became a federal food inspector...    and my thoughts are I'd still like to meet you someday if the chance comes along!!!  and next time ya buy a key for your wife's birthday don't drink it the day before!!!!!   

 

Ha! The keg was for Independence day and that was a long time ago!

 

Let me know if you swing through the area some time, there's always beer in my garage fridge and I can introduce you to the new owners.

 

I have actually been helping them out one or two days a week since my business is slow and thiers is busier than normal. I am watching the counter as we speak this morning while the guys are slaughtering 16 hogs. I help them break down and cut up pigs on Wednesday usually.

 

Do you still talk to Greg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I've met Dave before on the ice. he cant fish worth a darn!!!!!!🤣 but a real good guy regardless of what some here think!!!!!!👍

 

That's funny, I would describe you in the exact same manner!😁😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

That's funny, I would describe you in the exact same manner!😁😁😁

👍🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should ask if they will sell unprocessed half hogs again yet. I tried this winter and it was a no go. Sucked having to go else where since the are only like 3 blocks from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Ha! The keg was for Independence day and that was a long time ago!

 

Let me know if you swing through the area some time, there's always beer in my garage fridge and I can introduce you to the new owners.

 

I have actually been helping them out one or two days a week since my business is slow and thiers is busier than normal. I am watching the counter as we speak this morning while the guys are slaughtering 16 hogs. I help them break down and cut up pigs on Wednesday usually.

 

Do you still talk to Greg?

I will do that!!!  and yes Greg and I still talk!!!  dang good feller!!!!  cold beer is always good!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, snagfinder said:

You should ask if they will sell unprocessed half hogs again yet. I tried this winter and it was a no go. Sucked having to go else where since the are only like 3 blocks from me.

 

What do you mean by unprocessed? Just killed and halved? The only reason I could think would be that they would have a half hog to get rid of all the cuts. Or did they give you a different reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Congrats Tracy!!! This is being sent to you today!!!   Legends of the Outdoors  Hall of Fame Box Call
    • @Wallydog I’ve always considered you a top tier turkey hunter.  Year in and year out you’ve posted dandy birds and dandy pics.  One of the best ever that I’ve seen on the site.  Thank you for that!
    • St. Louis style ribs and taters on the smoker today.....
    • Congrats Wanderer.  Thanks for the participation award again!
    • Looked did then realized I don't believe his taste buds. He purposely was drinking Miller Lite. Yuk
    • I’d say it depends on how fast we want results and what the public will tolerate.  I do think a closure during their most vulnerable time is worth serious consideration.  We close the season for other fish for the same reason.  Now we’re realizing the never ending supply of quality panfish does really have an end.   It’s really going to be up to us to understand and accept the facts about how we affect the fisheries.  Getting this information out there and talking with each other is a big help.  I personally know several people who have changed their view on filling the live well or bucket with the most and biggest panfish they can to self imposed limits.  But I also know several people who are still proud as can be to bring home that pile of upper end fish, and worse yet making several repeat trips and bringing others with to do the same.  It’s hard to tell friends what their doing isn’t helpful.   One group of people can substantially fish down smaller lakes in 1-3 years and they’re fine with that.  On to the next lake.  I literally heard that just yesterday.  The limit was dropped on that particular lake to 5 this spring and that has curbed the number of trips they’ve been taking out there.  To me, it doesn’t get to be any clearer than that.   Minky, your practice sounds like what we need to get that 10% group of takers to adopt.
    • Wanderer, any ideas? Would the reduced limit and one over 9 or 10 inches be enough? Should there be a short season closure in the late winter / early spring?  Only catch and release in May and June. I love catching them, eating a few and releasing the rest.
    • here is a new idea to try:  
    • I would have to say that Wanderer is the biggest turkey so he gets my vote. 😀
    • I was out at a local lake last night and found the gills on beds with a few crappies mixed in.  I was learning the lake and planned on keeping moving and targeting bass but couldn’t resist pulling a few pannies in.  As always it was fun but I didn’t keep any and ran into several beds. They were topping out at a solid 8 inches on the board.   As I moved along I could see someone down the line, I thought maybe he was fishing bass also but he didn’t move until I got within about 75 yards.  When I got to the spot he was fishing there was another set of beds but I couldn’t see a fish on them.  Threw my bait in and didn’t get bit.     I’ve been that guy before but I’ve seen that scenario play out too many times to be OK with it anymore.  I know the panfish get hammered all winter and that’s probably putting the biggest hurt on the population but stripping the beds is something we really need to curb IMO.
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.