• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

City archery range safety.

Cheetah

I live near a park in town that has a couple archery bales, and I see a lot of stupid stuff go on there with people walking and playing while someone is shooting and nobody having any concept of safety, archers or park patrons.   Tonight was just about the worst though.  A guy was practicing out at 50 yards, but you can't stand at 50 by the bales, 45 is the furthest due to a dog park fence.  So he moved his own target to the side a good 40 yards to be past the fenced dog area.   Besides the fact he is nowhere near the designated shooting area in the park, 50 yards straight behind his target was the playground with families and kids.....    :mad:    

Edited by Cheetah
typo

I see you are in Roseville, what park are your referring to?  I am in St. Paul but right across the border from Roseville.  I shoot over at the Keller Lake Regional Park off of 61 just south of 36.  Its a nice range with a lot of targets and the vast majority of everyone that shoots there has been really respectful.  I did have one problem with a guy shooting with this son.  He was helping his 12-14 year old son get dialed in and they were on the 20 yard bale right next to mine.  However, they started shooting from about 5 yards behind the shooting line where I had been shooting from.  I was basically 5 yards in front of them and maybe 10 feet to their left and they thought there was nothing wrong with that.  I pointed out the safety issue and then moved over to the 40 yard target that was as far away from them as I could get.  Fortunately thats the extent of the problems I've had there and everyone else has been good.  The range is also set up pretty well with bales and a berm behind it and a forested area between the berm and the Keller Golf Course that is behind the range.  To get an arrow off the range someone would intentionally have to arc one over the trees.

My biggest issue with this range is the amount of garbage that gets left.  A lot of people can't seem to get their targets into the garbage and others will bring their foam targets out there and blow them apart with broadheads and then leave all of the busted up foam laying everywhere and then just throw the bust up target up against one of the fences.  Seems like  I spend half my shooting time cleaning up other peoples garbage. 

Edited by nofishfisherman