• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads: Mechanical or fixed?

MidCoast

My buddy has been trying to sell me on the Swhacker this year.  This is his first year hunting with them but he's been happy with their accuracy compared to field tips so far. We'll see how well they do on a deer for him this year.

This is my first year bow hunting and I'm in the middle of my research on broadheads as well.  I'm shooting a little lighter draw weight so I'm going to be sticking a fixed blade.  I'm leaning toward either slick trick, magnus stinger, or muzzy 3 blade.

I shoot G5 Strikers and VPAs on big boned critters (e.g., elk) and shoot Spitfire Maxx mechanicals on deer.  I've had great luck with both.  I shot expandables on elk one time and won't ever make that mistake again...

I have shot just about all the top Broadheads out there and they have all seemed to have failed me on performance and lack of blood trails at one point or another and as of the last 3 years I have been using the NAP KillZone with tremendous success and massive entry and exit holes leaving massive amounts of blood. They do tremendous damage and are extremely durable and work flawlessly. I am shooting 68lbs with the newer Easton Ingexion arrow at 29 inches and 10.1 gpi. Below is your typical entry hole and exit hole are even bigger. Hope this helps.

Killzone Broadhead.jpg

Fixed or expandable is a loaded question ! Everyone has there own opinion. 

I feel accuracy and shot placement trumps all . . .

I have tried a lot of heads and will probably try more , it's fun to try different ones . I only found one that I will never use again the T3 two out of three broke off at the thread 

I've shot a couple different brands of fixed and mechanicals and they've all killed deer.  The last 4 or 5  deer were with original muzzy 3 blades because they are one of the least expensive and most reliable heads. I don't have any complaints with any of the other heads but it gets spendy flinging $15+ heads into yotes.

I will just say that broadheads seem to take the most blame from bow hunters than all the other equipment on the market combined, if you make a quality shot with a spoon pounded flat that animal is dead. With that said when you are dealing with something mechanical there will always be higher odds for something going wrong because of the moving parts. However the mechanicals can offer better flight, easier tuning and a larger cutting diameter so there are plenty of positives. Make the best choice for you and don't worry about what other people are shooting.

If something goes wrong more often than not it is because of shot placement. Unless you have a camera running with good light conditions it is all but impossible to determine if you made a good shot or not. So many times shots look perfect but deer are able to duck strings and make impossible movements look easy so what you see is not always what happened.

I shot a lot of deer with the good old Bear Super Razorhead.  In 2008 when I finally bought a new bow, I bought carbon arrows for the first time and used Rocket Steelheads.  I've shot 12 to 15 deer since then with the Steelheads, both 100s and 125s.  All but one has been a pass through.  I think they are an amazing head.  The 125s are my favorite, but they quit making them.  I bought a bunch on hsolist so have probably a 10 year supply.  Not sure if I should buy more or finally move on to a new head when I run out.

I settled on the Muzzy 3 blade after going back and forth on all of the options.  I've been out tearing up my target with them the last several days and they've been shooting well for me.  I was a bit nervous the first day out with them as they were terrible groups and about 4-5 inches high and left.  I took a day of off shooting and came back and started shooting again and all of a sudden the groups where down to 3" and right on target.  Been shooting fine ever since.  I guess we all have our bad days.

One of the big reasons I went with Muzzy is because I'm shooting a lighter draw weight so everything I've seen said to stick with fixed blades when shooting lower weights.  They've also been around forever and have stood the test of time.  Plus you can get a 6 pack + practice head for $37 at fleet farm so they are about $6/head versus $10-15 for alot of other brands.