• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher football 2016

JBMasterAngler

Jerry Kill, furious over Tracy Claeys firing, says he's done supporting Gophers

By: MARCUS FULLER 
January 04, 2017 - 1:32 PM

Jerry Kill less than a year ago said, “I’ll always be a Gopher.”

That story has changed. On 1500-AM radio on Wednesday morning, the former Gophers football coach said he would not attend another game in TCF Bank Stadium because of how athletic director Mark Coyle and University President Eric Kaler handled the firing of coach Tracy Claeys on Tuesday.

“I won't be stepping foot back in the stadium," Kill told 1500-AM, "and I won't be stepping back into the university."

http://m.startribune.com/jerry-kill-furious-over-tracy-claeys-firing-says-he-s-done-supporting-gophers/409680435/?section=%2F

wheels are coming off.jpg

REPORT: Les Miles Flying To Twin Cities To Interview For Gophers Head Coach Job

According to Michael Kim of ESPN and 120Sports.com, former LSU Tigers coach Les Miles is flying to the Twin Cities to meet with University of Minnesota officials to interview for the position of head coach of the Gophers football program.

Should Miles actually meet with officials and interview for the position, he would be by far the most prominent name to interview for the Gophers job.

There has been no confirmation of any sort from the University in regards to Miles potential visit or interview.

Read more: http://kfan.iheart.com/onair/gopher-blog-35312/report-les-miles-flying-to-twin-15442606/#ixzz4UwcQ7etD

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

After Penn State and then the Iowa loss it was clear that Claeys had to go. I'm glad he's gone. Give us Western Michigan's Fleck or LSO's Miles.

Kill got them started in the right direction. Claeys went backwards a bit...now I would prefer Fleck because he knows how to find recruits and coach them to be winners and Miles will do as well to get this program moving in the right direction again

Looks like it's going to be PJ Fleck from Western Michigan. Now I'm excited. I really feel like this is a step up from Jerry Kill who has been moving the Gophers in the right direction.

Oh yeah.... Les had the advantage of recruiting for a highly regarded program and he's older. Doubt he has the chutzpah to take on the recruiting for a team not as highly regarded like Minnesota as well as Fleck, who has been doing exactly that.....

Yayyyyy.... the Gophers hired PJ Fleck out of Western Michigan to head up their Football Program.

For those of you who don't know he won the MAC and led little know Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl where they played Wisconsin.

Here is more on him: 

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/01/06/pj-fleck-minnesota-golden-gophers-coach

This year, he drew interest from Purdue, Houston and Cincinnati but declined to interview with all of them as he was hoping to pursue a better job. Both Rutgers and Syracuse reached out to Fleck last year, but he declined to pursue those jobs.

Fleck, 36, led Western Michigan to bowl games in each of the past three seasons. He’s earned a reputation as a prolific recruiter, bringing in the best class in the MAC the past three seasons and frequently beating low-tier Big Ten schools for prospects. Fleck’s upcoming 2017 recruiting class ranks No. 38 nationally, more than 20 spots ahead of any other program outside the Power 5 conferences. (Minnesota ranks No. 67, one of five teams in the Big Ten West that trail Western Michigan in the recruiting rankings.)

I say good for the Gophers. Hopefully he's not another Wacker or Brewster.

Looks like a best case scenario for the Gophers. I would have still preferred Les Miles, he would have brought national prominence to the Gopher Football program immediately but I doubt he was interested. I'm guessing they only brought Miles in for a salary bargaining ploy but it looks like it didn't work.

Interesting how much more they were willing to pay this guy than Jerry Kill and a 6 year contract. Only 3 coaches since Murray Warmath have even lasted 6 years.

I'm also guessing they had this deal in the works before they even fired Clayes. Most of the time these programs don't hire a replacement in 48 hours. It took them months to hire Jerry Kill.

Good luck Gophers.

1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

6 of his incoming recruits for Western Michigan have already changed their minds and are heading to Minnesota. Sure, they are mostly 3 star recruits, but this is very encouraging.

3 star recruits are about what the Gophers attract anyway. I would guess the quality level of WM is not much different from what the U of M has been fielding lately.

This Fleck actually looks like a guy that could make a difference but if he is that kind of a guy, how long will he stay? Another Lou Holtz?

I give Gopher fans a lot of grief but I love college football so there is nothing I would like better than for the Gophers to become a power house program. Hopefully this is the guy that can do it, he has me somewhat convinced already.

Maybe Fleck can bring this program to prominence by the time Saban retires so the Gophers can beat Alabama in a bowl game again. I doubt it, but you can dream!