• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher football 2016

JBMasterAngler

7 hours ago, Nick Kuhn said:

Well, OSU is going to the playoff, and Wisconsin and Michigan are getting at large bowls. That leaves Minnesota as the #4 remaining team.

After the Gophers lost to Penn State, Nebraska and Iowa how can you put the Gophers higher than any of them? Of the gophers 8 wins which one should move them up the rankings? Maybe the 2pt win over Rutgers at home?

12 hours ago, Nick Kuhn said:

Well, OSU is going to the playoff, and Wisconsin and Michigan are getting at large bowls. That leaves Minnesota as the #4 remaining team.

If that's true, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Still a bowl game for losers then, who cares? 

Edited by Big Dave2

1 minute ago, Jim Uran said:

yep, yep... that's what bandwagon fans say. It's ok, we have pride. We are proud of the state we live in and choose to root for. 

LOL! Who would want to be a Gopher bandwagon fan?

I have pride in the state I come from and choose to root for too. Believe me there were lean years being a Crimson Tide fan but not 50 years!

Good luck at your Holiday bowl that no one else will care to watch.

12 hours ago, rundrave said:

After the Gophers lost to Penn State, Nebraska and Iowa how can you put the Gophers higher than any of them? Of the gophers 8 wins which one should move them up the rankings? Maybe the 2pt win over Rutgers at home?

The Gophers aren't higher, they get the #1, #2, and #3 spots from the Big 10 because the other 3 teams at the top of conference are going to non-slotted bowl games (and thus they don't count).

lol sugar coat it all you want Nick the Gophers are a 7th best team in the Big 10 period. They don't have a meaningful win this entire season and they didn't beat any other team in the big 10 with a winning record except for Northwestern who are 5-4 in conference play but 6-6 overall. That isnt trolling at all, its facts.

I hope they can recruit by selling a trip to the Holiday Bowl this year. Big things happening for the Gophers!

He's not disputing (or sugar coating) that the gophers were 7th. He's explaining why they're in the holiday bowl. Holy cow, you guys make the grinch look like Santa Claus! I'm going to watch the game. I'm going to enjoy it. And I won't be ashamed of cheering for the maroon and gold!

17 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

Ok, I love Lebron James too. 

Knock yourself out. IMO, pro basketball is a terrible sport.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what they think of the Gophers in Iowa.....

Hlas: For half-century, football is a Gophers hole

Minnesota on eternal quest to be above mediocre

Mike Hlas

The Gazette

Oct 7, 2016 

A golden anniversary of a not-so-golden milestone will probably come Minnesota’s way next year.

If the Minnesota Gophers don’t win the Big Ten football title this year or next, it will mark 50 years since their last league-championship, which they shared in 1967 with Indiana and Purdue.

That’s right, Minnesota, Indiana and Purdue were atop the Big Ten. In football. Iowa and Wisconsin went 0-6-1 in the conference that year, without the decency to let each other get a win when they met.

Indiana went to the Rose Bowl that season. Purdue had gone the year before and the league had a “no repeat” rule. So the conference’s athletic directors voted, and chose the Hoosiers over the Gophers.

Things were tilted Indiana’s way because it had never been to Pasadena while Minnesota had been there as recently as 1962.

USC beat the Hoosiers, 14-3. A running back named O.J. Simpson scored both of the game’s touchdowns. Minnesota, meanwhile, dusted itself off and proceeded to return to the Rose Bowl ... never.

They say if you live long enough you’ll see everything, and O.J. seemed to be proof of that. But that isn’t really true, of course. Minnesota, while a competent football program that went to bowls in each of the last four seasons, continues to have a second-class citizenship cloud hanging over its head.

Neighbors Wisconsin and Iowa have been to the Rose Bowl a combined 11 times since the Gophers’ last visit. Those two programs don’t have any advantages over Minnesota in population, and both had some long stretches of terrible performances in the last half-century.

But the Badgers are kings in Madison and the Hawkeyes likewise in Iowa City. In Minneapolis-St. Paul, the Gophers are mere residents.

The average attendance for the first three Minnesota home games this season was 43,487, in a still-new, on-campus stadium of a school with over 50,000 students.

There’s no grand football tradition ingrained in the culture, nothing in our time that has ever gotten the Gophers to at least nudge close to the NFL Vikings in the state’s attention span.

In the last 40 years, only five Minnesota teams had winning records in Big Ten play, and all five were 5-3. Just one went to a Jan. 1 bowl, the 2014 Minnesota team that lost to Missouri 33-17 in the Citrus Bowl.

Last year, Minnesota went 5-7 and was placed in Detroit’s Quick Lane Bowl against Central Michigan because there weren’t enough 6-6 teams to go around. The Gophers’ marching band went from Minneapolis to Detroit by bus. A good time was had by all.

Edited by Big Dave2

On 12/7/2016 at 8:27 AM, rundrave said:

I hope they can recruit by selling a trip to the Holiday Bowl this year. Big things happening for the Gophers!

Now 10 players suspended....man this school continues to just embarrass itself on and off the field. 

http://deadspin.com/minnesota-suspends-10-football-players-for-alleged-invo-1790081126

So the big10 gave the gophers $2.25 million to cover Holiday bowl expenses for their trip to San Diego. Wonder how much they will lose of that when NIU who is next inline and likely would play if a decision is reached to let them play instead if the Gophers boycott playing?

This has to be so great for recruiting! Big things happening for the Gophers!

While the impetus for this situation is an ugly situation, it will be fascinating to watch how it unfolds and which side caves first. Historically universities have always had the upper hand over individual players by threatening to suspend them or revoking their scholarship. In this case, the entire team is telling the U to pound sand, and I would argue the damage to the U would be much greater than the players if the suspensions are upheld, the team stands strong, and we don't field a team. The loss of revenue for not attending the bowl game is very significant. The Big 10 would be irate at U athletics if we don't field a team for a bowl game. This could be the final straw for Kaler's tenure at the U. Coyle couldn't have had a much worse start to his job as AD.

And quite honestly, I don't see the U having much leverage against the entire team. If they choose the nuclear options and revoke all scholarships we might as well shut the whole football program down. While we have been a bottom barrel team for years, we would have to start over from scratch with a bunch of true freshman and transfers from junior colleges. 

The Gopher team basically just unionized. Who blinks first?

3 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

They said they're boycotting all activities...does that mean they're not practicing? Not good to get behind, if this gets resolved.

Get behind? They're a terrible team playing another terrible team in a meaningless game that they had almost a month to prepare for. No one is going to care anyway.

After this latest debacle, I look for the gophers to go back to their Wacker/Brewster glory years post haste. They were barely 1 step above that this year anyway.

Online Petition Calls For ‘U’ To Fire Tracy Claeys

December 26, 2016 5:36 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – After Gopher football coach Tracy Claeys stood by his players during a controversial boycott over the suspension of 10 players, a petition is calling for the University of Minnesota to fire him.

The petition calls for the “immediate termination” of Claeys. It mainly takes issue with a message Claeys tweeted after the players announced their boycott.

“Have never been more proud of our kids,” Claeys tweeted. “I respect their rights & support their effort to make a better world!”

The 10 players were suspended in connection with a sexual assault investigation. After the suspensions were announced, players said they would boycott all football activities, including the Holiday Bowl.

Two days after announcing the boycott, however, the players ended it.

The petition, created by Nancy Bitenc, says Claeys’ tweet is “not at all acceptable.”

“Claeys’ tweet expressing his pride in the team failed to mention or acknowledge the importance of respecting women. Further, it did not condemn violence, sexual assault or disrespect of women.”

Monday night, the petition had nearly 500 signatures, including many University of Minnesota alumni and former state legislator Betty Folliard.

“Tracy Claeys should have been the adult in the room when the Gophers went off on a tangent. He should have understood the optics of the situation,” Folliard wrote. “Instead he stuck with entrenched, ‘boys will be boys’ thinking, and did irreparable damage to the reputation of the U of M. He needs to be removed from his employment.”

The Gophers will play Washington State in the Holiday Bowl in San Diego at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

That petition is worth about the same as the charmin extra soft I wipe my butt with!

Meanwhile, I've been wearing all my new gopher gear that I got for Christmas, in anticipation of the game :D

I got one of these for Christmas......

bama sweatshirt.jpg

Meanwhile, I've been wearing all my new gopher gear that I got for Christmas, in anticipation of the game :D

Your friends and family are buying your gifts off the clearance rack? ;)

After last nights win it's looking more likely for Claeys to get an extension. Future is looking pretty good for the gophers if they can shut down that offense with a bunch of backups. On top of that, Leidner will be gone! Next season can't start soon enough! Go gophers!

On 12/27/2016 at 2:32 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

That petition is worth about the same as the charmin extra soft I wipe my butt with!

On 12/28/2016 at 0:15 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

After last nights win it's looking more likely for Claeys to get an extension.

On 12/28/2016 at 0:15 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Future is looking pretty good for the gophers 

trump wrong.jpg