• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labor Day Weekend Tasty Treats

Wife picked up some BB ribs and they will go on the Weber tomorrow. Tonight will either be deep fry night or ribeye night. Deep fry will be shrimp, Chicken fritters, tater tots and breaded mushrooms and maybe even a few motzzie sticks but for us lactose intolerant who cares.

Anybody else cooking up anything fun ?

4 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

Wife picked up some BB ribs and they will go on the Weber tomorrow. Tonight will either be deep fry night or ribeye night. Deep fry will be shrimp, Chicken fritters, tater tots and breaded mushrooms and maybe even a few motzzie sticks but for us lactose intolerant who cares.

Same here, baby backs on the Weber Performer. Homemade potato salad, and beans (from  a can).

6 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

I thought Mozzarella was reasonably low in Lactose.  Mozzie sticks with a lactaid chaser? 

I always thought it was somewhat strange or maybe even ironic that the bones off the pork loin sell for more per pound than the boneless meat does.....

Aren't baby backs just the bones that get removed to make boneless pork loin?  The boneless loin is like 1.89 and the bones are 2.99+, so the more meat left on the bone the more profit, if I have it figured right...

Maybe I should get some meat glue and layer more meat on the ribs...

Real name is Transglutaminase

Edited by delcecchi

15 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I thought Mozzarella was reasonably low in Lactose.  Mozzie sticks with a lactaid chaser? 

Rather not take a chance this time. For the most part I can have a few poppers and a few motzzie sticks as long as I have other things right along with them. Every now and then I will do a pizza just because I love it but do I pay for it. I can take 4 Lactaid fast acting tablets and still feel the effects the next day. It is worth it :lol:

12 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

Rather not take a chance this time. For the most part I can have a few poppers and a few motzzie sticks as long as I have other things right along with them. Every now and then I will do a pizza just because I love it but do I pay for it. I can take 4 Lactaid fast acting tablets and still feel the effects the next day. It is worth it :lol:

That's too bad.  Hate to see a man suffer for what he loves.

With no pics we'll havta take your word for it, that does sound good though;).  Great idea fellas,  ribs and cabbage casserole tomorrow  ( I'm probably sleeping on the couch, but it's worth it) with perhaps some fried green tomatoes....dang i like those things.

It is reading in farenheit.  I started out at 135 for wife's steak.  She likes hers a little more done.  Make that a lot more done...

Yes, you put the meat in the water bath, sealed in plastic, set at the temperature for the doneness you want.  It can stay there for a considerable time.   Like medium is 130 to 135.    Leave it in at least an hour, up to several hours.  

Then when you want to eat, you take it out, pat it dry and either throw it on a screaming hot grill or in a screaming hot pan to get a sear on it without cooking it more.   Makes it easy to get the meat cooked exactly right.  What I do, since we like ours different, is put hers in at 135 or 140 and then after a time lower the temp to 125 or 130 and put mine in.  

I also did a cooks illustrated trick they used for roast beef that the meat is supposed to get tenderer if you hold it at like 115 for a while.  Something about enzymes... So I did 115 for an hour, then went ahead.  It seems to have helped because that sirloin can be a little tough and this was better. 

Edited by delcecchi

Since they are totally sealed in and cooking at low temperature, skin or anything else doesn't get crisp.  Ham is said to work great and doesn't dry out like it can if overcooked in oven.  Pork loin would also be excellent.  It is great on stuff that you need to be careful about overcooking like white meat chicken, ham, pork loin etc. 

Typically either you have to glaze or sear at the end, or serve with a sauce or something due the fact there is no browning going on.  

There is a pot roast type recipe that involves cooking for like 24 hours at a low temp to achieve the tenderness associated with the conventional braising.   Sort of like crock pot only more precise in this case.   I think I will give that a try once it cools off and I have time.  

On 9/4/2016 at 7:16 PM, delcecchi said:

Had some chunks of steak mapped in bacon from HiVee (neener neener reb ). Salted, sous vide, sear.  Serve with mashed potatoes.

IMG_20160904_162208.jpgIMG_20160904_162200.jpg

IMG_20160904_172325.jpg

IMG_20160904_175228.jpg

??? Boiled meat??

Reb that's enough for both you and the NL!!!:grin::D

Had chicky on the charcoal grill.