• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grass/lawn experts

smurfy

I would like to rework an area of my lawn after labor day weekend. basically rake it, soften the soil and replant/reseed grass seed. I know the fall is best but is this to early? I would like to get a good head start!!!! 

Great time to get at it.  Give some thought to renting a core aerator and give the lawn a good going over.  You want a machine that has hollow pipes that pull plugs out.  Try doing it in both directions if you have the stamina to run it that long.  I mean go north/south and then east/west.   Get good quality seed that is the type for your area - full sun/partial shade/shady.  Don't scrimp on the seed.  I believe in going to a garden store or area feed mill and talking to them about what you need for your area.  They likely will also have the proper fertilizer for you as well.

Supposed to be a rainy weekend.  If the rain is heavy and any of the area is hilly the seed likely will wash away.  Might be OK to do the aeration before the rain and wait until after to put down the seed and fertilizer.

1 hour ago, Tom7227 said:

Great time to get at it.  Give some thought to renting a core aerator and give the lawn a good going over.  You want a machine that has hollow pipes that pull plugs out.  Try doing it in both directions if you have the stamina to run it that long.  I mean go north/south and then east/west.   Get good quality seed that is the type for your area - full sun/partial shade/shady.  Don't scrimp on the seed.  I believe in going to a garden store or area feed mill and talking to them about what you need for your area.  They likely will also have the proper fertilizer for you as well.

Supposed to be a rainy weekend.  If the rain is heavy and any of the area is hilly the seed likely will wash away.  Might be OK to do the aeration before the rain and wait until after to put down the seed and fertilizer.

My wife really wants "us" to do this. So, in other words how much does it cost "me" to rent one? :(

Thanks guys. You know I tried one of those aerators once. Wasn't all that impressed. It's a small area so I got o e of those 4 prong ground loosener things for the garden that should work!

Smurfy, all you will do with the 'ground loosener is to compact the soil if you are talking about a standard garden fork.  The core aerator that I mentioned has hollow tines on it and it pulls up a core of soil and then dumps it on the lawn.  Ends up looking like a flock of geese has spent the week.  But the holes allow air to get into the soil and then when your mow the lawn you break up the droppings.  The holes end up filling in over a short time.  I know Zach recommended detatching and bring in some dirt but you may be able to hold off on that.  I am not in favor of bringing in dirt unless you have to fill in for some erosion or a hole or something, or if the basic soil lacks in some key ingredient - such as a lot of sand without any organic matter.  Over time the lawn may be bumpy and that may be why folks think bringing in dirt is necessary.  But the aerator does the same thing.

I just spent a little time this morning filling in an area that had washed out from all the rain.  Not the kind of day you want to be out doing that work, at least not for me.  Glad it was only a small area.

Leech,  maybe you could cut a deal where she swaps out running the rig.  You do one direction and she does the other.  Seriously the suckers weigh a lot.  If you can use a trailer with ramps to get it.  No way one person can get it in and out of a pickup.  The other thing is that you have to spend a little time learning how to run it.  If you set it up and run it full throttle you'll be nearly running across the yard.  The other thing is that they don't like to run straight when going crossways on a hill.  I have a slight hill in my yard and the thing wants to curve down hill all the time.  I end up with sort of a quarter moon look to the yard when I'm done.

Tom, not going to use a standard garden fork. this thing has 4 heavy tines about 5 inches long. ya push it into the dirt and twist it. I use it to loosen the soil in my wifes flower bed to weed and prior to fertilizing with 10-10-10!!!!!!!!! like I said its not a real big area!!!!!!

thanks for the advice............I will be using it!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, smurfy said:

Tom, not going to use a standard garden fork. this thing has 4 heavy tines about 5 inches long. ya push it into the dirt and twist it. I use it to loosen the soil in my wifes flower bed to weed and prior to fertilizing with 10-10-10!!!!!!!!! like I said its not a real big area!!!!!!

thanks for the advice............I will be using it!!!!!!!!!!

Garden Weasel, as seen on TV. 

If you are doing a lawn, get the plug thing. 

Also check out your tax dollars at work,,,

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/turfgrass/

Might as well get something for your money .

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Garden Weasel, as seen on TV. 

If you are doing a lawn, get the plug thing. 

Also check out your tax dollars at work,,,

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/turfgrass/

Might as well get something for your money .

Got one of them too! That won't loosen the ground up good enough at first. But will use it in the process.

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Got one of them too! That won't loosen the ground up good enough at first. But will use it in the process.

Seriously, read the extension stuff.  It is from people who actually know what they are talking about instead of us fools here.

My wife has one of those weasel jobberdos but I don't think I would want to use it for an entire lawn.  Each to his own however.  Del is correct about using the info on the extension page.  On the money every time I've checked it.