• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Batteries and Tv Antenna

elkoholic

On my current house I have a standard deep cycle battery for my 12v lights, furnace etc.  For tv antenna I have a Winegard sensar IV and I'm very happy with it. In the process of having a new house built now. The guys that are using AGM batteries are you seeing a noticeable difference compared to standard deep cycle?? Better battery option?

The Sensar IV that I have on the current house works really well, just curious to what others are using and if there is something better out there?

Thanks

AGM is the way to go but you pay more upfront for them.  AGM are an all around more robust battery.  Totally sealed, no fluids to leak even if the case breaks, never have to check electrolyte levels, don't have to vent, WON'T FREEZE, more life cycles, longer shelf life, able to handle higher currents aka faster recharge. The biggest thing with any battery is to try and not discharge them more than 50%.  This dramatically improves the amount of discharge/charge cycles they are able to handle in their lifetime.  I figure I'll at least get 5 years out of my battery before I notice any degradation to the charge quality (more than likely will last 5-8+ years).  I've never had good luck with any deep cycle battery lasting more than 2 years so I figure I can get 3 deep cycle batteries or pay upfront for 1 AGM and no maintenance or battery issues. 

Here is the battery I have installed and love it - zero maintenance.  Very fair price plus free shipping on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmaxslr125-rechargeable-Solar-Inverters/dp/B00ACNO2AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472142160&sr=8-1&keywords=vmax+battery