• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping weeds out of the garden.

jbell1981

This is our third season with a garden at our current house. The first year it was part of the lawn that we mowed down and then tilled up. My wife was adamant about not spraying anything for the weeds. So the first 2 years she just pulled weeds as best she could but its over 50' x 50' and some areas got out of control with weeds which are mostly different types of grasses. Well she got sick of it so she let me spray roundup this year. So I mowed it down a little this spring and sprayed the roundup. Everything was dead. I waited a couple weeks after spraying it to till it up and then she planted. Everything seemed fine but by June the whole thing was overrun by weeds again, almost seems worse than the previous 2 years and now she's just trying to pull them again.

Is there anything I can do to help get rid of the weeds this growing season yet? How about anything I can do this fall to help the problem for next year? Or do we just keep on pulling? 

you will never entirely be rid of weeds. pulling weeds and making sure the roots come with is key. because its a relatively new garden our experience is normal. I do use roundup ocassionally but must watch for overspray.

a product called PREEN is good for controlling weeds, BUT you must only put that on after all your garden seeds you planted have come up out of the ground. Preen is designed to prevent seed germination. 

depending on what your planting, like tomatoes or cucumbers a good thick layer of grass clipping around them, thru the rows will help also.

Mulch around plants is a big help. Plus it improves the soil. I would also recommend cutting down the size of the garden to some thing you can handle and enjoy.  Years ago I had three gardens - vegie, flower, tree - that I maintained. When I moved to my current spot we cut back.  But it still gets to be work.  Get out in the morning when its cool and the birds are singing. Plant some of it into perrenials like asparagus, raspberries, and rhubarb that can just be mulched. 

Also remember that there are lots of wonderful farmers markets around nowadays. Our garden is just for fresh lettuce, tomatoes, string beans, onions, and some broccoli.  Cabbage too. I just went to a farmers market at noon and picked up sweet corn.

Good luck and have fun!!